Audi S3 to VW Golf R - Am I a joke to you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pecking order, it’s the same car mate with a different dress on.

I didn’t say you wanted a hatch but looking down on people because they chose an R over an S, come on Jassy.
Av not got Audi rose tinted specs on all of the time....l seen the new A3 saloon Black edition in daytona grey on the forecourt tonight its a nice looking car don't get me wrong but...its not as nice as the 8v S3 saloon especially my own car...the 8v saloon looks more sportier, meaner...the finish on them Audi sport trapezoidal alloys ....looks weird....its not diamond cut nor is it paint....matte finish l suspect....car was sitting very high off the tires l could get 3 fingers...under the arches...and a full hand under the front....transportation blocks l presume ....

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

Reactions: TYb
Av not got Audi rose tinted specs on all of the time....l seen the new A3 saloon Black edition in daytona grey on the forecourt tonight its a nice looking car don't get me wrong but...its not as nice as the 8v S3 saloon especially my own car...the 8v saloon looks more sportier, meaner...the finish on them Audi sport trapezoidal alloys ....looks weird....its not diamond cut nor is it paint....matte finish l suspect....car was sitting very high off the tires l could get 3 fingers...under the arches...and a full hand under the front....transportation blocks l presume ....

I’ve only seen one on the road, was Daytona and looked quite muscular in saloon form.

The exterior really has grown me but I just can’t click with the interior.

Watched this today, from what they were able to show I think it looks really good but would chose the Taycan if going electric.

I’ve only seen one on the road, was Daytona and looked quite muscular in saloon form.

Watched this today, from what they were able to show I think it looks really good but would chose the Taycan if going electric.

I'll never own or want a all electric car...mate

Reactions: Snake Pliskin

Also reported here, can see this taking quite a few S3 hatch orders off of Audi.

Like the Audi the interior is suspect but the exterior is neither worse or better.

https://www.pistonheads.com/news/volkswagen/golfr/43322

Dare I say I think the interior looks "cleaner" than the new S3 but why does one says 315hp and one says 320hp :huh:, one says new differential system one says retained the current 50/50 split system :huh: :shrug:
Proof on how good/feel/changes etc will be when a few owners get their hands on one, but IMO, VW/Audi, will sell loads just because they can :racer:

Reactions: TDI-line, TYb and Jassyo06

I didn’t think I would contemplate it but having been in my friends Taycan it would be a consideration if had that kind of budget.

Reactions: Jcbmally and Jassyo06

Now I hate EV but that E Tron just has something about it!

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jcbmally and NevMan
I think on the whole we are pretty good on here. My little chat with Jassy wasn’t an argument, it’s always healthy to have differing opinions, just need to make sure considerate to others, especially in this mad world.
You are right. That's what forums are for.

To be fair, my little bust-up with the Quattro fan-boys was years ago. I should build a bridge and get over it.

This place is actually a lot more respectful than the GTI forum, I'm a member of. There are a few real dic*s on there. They have called the GTI alloys on my car hideous, horrible, ugly, disgusting. They hated the Mk7.5 front lights. They hated the rear lights. I just kept telling them that the car was a major style improvement in every area over the original Mk7. I was not certainly not trying to insult or offend anyone. It was only after I mentioned online bullying that they toned down their language.

As for my alloys - I was waiting in the car for my wife one day. It was warm so the window was down a fraction for air flow. A boy about 10 years old turned to his father and said, "wow daddy, look at the alloys on that car!" The unbiased opinion of that boy means far more to me than the hurtful remarks of anonymous internet trolls.

Back on topic...

That Golf R could be my next car. I just hope those headlights and that interior look better in the showroom. I also hope they have made the car a lot quieter than my Mk7.5.

Reactions: Mr Freeze, NevMan, Jcbmally and 2 others

Same here ... and that is why I suspect I will have another RS3 even if its a facelift and won't sound as good as my pre-fl, but it will still be a 5 cylinder.
Spec it up and keep it indefinitely :icon thumright:

Reactions: NevMan, TDI-line, pburv and 1 other person
why does one says 315hp and one says 320hp :huh:, one says new differential system one says retained the current 50/50 split system :huh: :shrug:

The power is just BHP vs PS. The AWD system is talking about two different things - front/back is 50/50 but the power on the rear axle can shift all to one side or another.

Here’s the source info

Reactions: Jcbmally
Apparently they Golf R is 316bhp to keep it inline with other R models in the VW range - Arteon and Tiguan.

Shortly after we purchased our A3, Audi bumped the engine power from 110bhp to 116bhp. Entirely possible they might do this with the S3.

I would be surprised if they are using a different haldex 4wd system in the Golf and S3. Maybe it is just programmed differently. I know the R is supposed to have drift mode.

Reactions: NevMan and TDI-line
Apparently they Golf R is 316bhp to keep it inline with other R models in the VW range - Arteon and Tiguan.

Shortly after we purchased our A3, Audi bumped the engine power from 110bhp to 116bhp. Entirely possible they might do this with the S3.

I would be surprised if they are using a different haldex 4wd system in the Golf and S3. Maybe it is just programmed differently. I know the R is supposed to have drift mode.

Also known as marketing plus motoring websites get more hits by head lining such marketing in their review's Arteon R was quote as having 328 PS....

Reactions: Jcbmally
Silly money, there's a lot of better sounding cars you can get for that price and ones that will probably hold their value better.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

£49,000

Neither a Golf R or S3 in any spec is worth that kind of money, especially when it’s not much more than a further facelift.

This is a good comparison video for the Golf Mk 7.5 to Mk 8, not the R, but the fundamentals are the same.

Cost cutting seems to be a major thing.

I did do lot of research with my Golf Mk 7.5 TCR, and have owned 2x A3 8V since 2013, both TDI 184 Quattro's, last one in Black Edition, so I knew how good the fit and finish of the cabin is, and the dashboard is lovely, the stance of these was always flawless.

I was looking to go S3 BE as same price bracket, but thought it was time to sit in a different model for a while. There are so many R's on the road, and I still haven't seen another TCR on the road.

Mine has Akrapovic exhaust as standard, as later 2019 models had these as standard.

To me the fit and finish isn't there with the Mk8 golf, I can't comment on the new A3, as haven't seen one at all.

Also one horror story so far, my dad's neighbour bought a nice spec Mk8 about 6 months ago. He went on holiday in the car, and during it's journey all the display's have gone blank, so no engine, no car. This was taken to the nearest VW garage, who gave him a Tiguan courtesy car. 4 months later the car is still in the garage, awaiting parts (they blame covid) and he is still using the Tiguan. Car rejection process started.

Reactions: pburv, Jcbmally, NevMan and 1 other person
Neither a Golf R or S3 in any spec is worth that kind of money, especially when it’s not much more than a further facelift.
My current car was £1200 less than the above Golf 8R and to me it was worth it, financially your better buying/renting a car to specific requirements keep it for 3/4 years than car jump every 18/24 months but hey we're all different....

Reactions: Jcbmally and TYb
My current car was £1200 less than the above Golf 8R and to me it was worth it, financially your better buying/renting a car to specific requirements keep it for 3/4 years than car jump every 18/24 months but hey we're all different....

You’re right, it’s worth it if the owner is willing to pay it. £50k for a 2 litre hatch is bonkers though.

Yours isn’t the usual S3 with its exclusive paint job.

Used to change every 2 - 3 years personally but initially bought 2nd hand cars where the depreciation isn’t so bad.

Sold the RF in the summer, 1st year of PCP and wasn’t in negative equity, very impressive residuals for that model. Barely driven since working from home since March and likely to be until the summer.

Haven’t a clue what to buy when a 2nd car is needed again.

£49,000

That may be the RRP but it will never cost that by the time discounts and/or contributions are taken into account, your average VW buyer is not dropping almost £50k on a car, and VW won’t sell them in significant enough numbers to make producing them viable at that price.

Reactions: NevMan and Jcbmally
I really do like this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: jdp1962, pburv, Jcbmally and 2 others
I really do like this.

You got a young family like....that matte paint doesn't do it any favors

Reactions: pburv, Jcbmally and 8YARWY
You got a young family like....that matte paint doesn't do it any favors

Lol no.

Reactions: pburv, Jcbmally and Jassyo06
I really do like this.

Could do with more than 'Tree hundred and ten' horse power I think :chuncky:. but yeah I like it

Reactions: NevMan, Jcbmally and 8YARWY
I think VW are missing a trick here? They should do a saloon(Jetta) version... Although the performance and tech upgrades are tempting I think the styling is very bland. As I stated above a saloon version would attract a lot of buyers.

I think I agree.
We have a 4 year old S3 saloon.
I was seriously looking at a Golf R estate very recently- just a bit more boot space and a longer higher roof line.(Not to replace the S3 but a B6 1.8Tquattro )
I'm unlikely to buy the current S3 - I just think the bodywork is too fussy .

Reactions: TDI-line, Jcbmally, NevMan and 1 other person
I think I agree.
We have a 4 year old S3 saloon.
I was seriously looking at a Golf R estate very recently- just a bit more boot space and a longer higher roof line.(Not to replace the S3 but a B6 1.8Tquattro )
I'm unlikely to buy the current S3 - I just think the bodywork is too fussy .
Just found this article.
https://www.motorauthority.com/news...el drive, there's,Golf R's recipe for success.
The Jetta GLI is what it would've been based on. It's not the best looker to be honest but given a few body enhancements and a performance engine I think it would sell well?

Reactions: Jcbmally and NevMan
This is a good comparison video for the Golf Mk 7.5 to Mk 8, not the R, but the fundamentals are the same.

Cost cutting seems to be a major thing.

I did do lot of research with my Golf Mk 7.5 TCR, and have owned 2x A3 8V since 2013, both TDI 184 Quattro's, last one in Black Edition, so I knew how good the fit and finish of the cabin is, and the dashboard is lovely, the stance of these was always flawless.

I was looking to go S3 BE as same price bracket, but thought it was time to sit in a different model for a while. There are so many R's on the road, and I still haven't seen another TCR on the road.

Mine has Akrapovic exhaust as standard, as later 2019 models had these as standard.

To me the fit and finish isn't there with the Mk8 golf, I can't comment on the new A3, as haven't seen one at all.

Also one horror story so far, my dad's neighbour bought a nice spec Mk8 about 6 months ago. He went on holiday in the car, and during it's journey all the display's have gone blank, so no engine, no car. This was taken to the nearest VW garage, who gave him a Tiguan courtesy car. 4 months later the car is still in the garage, awaiting parts (they blame covid) and he is still using the Tiguan. Car rejection process started.

The Golf & A3 were delayed due to technical issues, so I assume they haven't been all ironed out yet?

I saw that video on the cost cutting before, and just to see how they have cheapened that car, makes it even less appealing than it already was.

As for the S3 vs R? For me, the S3 looks too fussy on the outside, while the Golf looks more sedate. Yet the R model should really look a little more aggressive for the top of the range.

As for the interiors? I hate them both, for there use of Black shiny plastic, and cheaper plastics throughout. Yet at least the S3 still has some switches for the temperature controls etc. I absolutely hate the inside of the Golf. My local dealer had a new Golf sat outside right next to an unregistered MK7 GTD. Even my GF who is not really into cars, looked inside them both and commented that the MK7 must be the newer car as the interior was far superior.

I seriously can't see myself going back to Audi, or VW in the future. Nothing appeals.

Reactions: NevMan, pburv and Jcbmally
Just found this article.
https://www.motorauthority.com/news...el drive, there's,Golf R's recipe for success.
The Jetta GLI is what it would've been based on. It's not the best looker to be honest but given a few body enhancements and a performance engine I think it would sell well?
The Jetta has always been a very mundane looking thing ...its never been a seller in the uk

The A3 saloon is a different ball game best looking car in its class but even with its looks it was still outsold by the hatchback by a long way....majority in the UK love hatchbacks ....even thats changing ....with the school run Suv's which now are everywhere on uk roads

Reactions: Jcbmally and pburv
The Jetta has always been a very mundane looking thing ...its never been a seller in the uk

The A3 saloon is a different ball game best looking car in its class but even with its looks it was still outsold by the hatchback by a long way....majority in the UK love hatchbacks ....even thats changing ....with the school run Suv's which now are everywhere on uk roads

Glad I'm in fashion lol:whistle2:

Reactions: Jcbmally, A4B9 and NevMan
If you think the new Golf 8 is better looking than the new A3 then ya’ll been sniffing glue

Reactions: Jcbmally and pburv
If you think the new Golf 8 is better looking than the new A3 then ya’ll been sniffing glue
tenor.gif

Reactions: NevMan, Jcbmally and Jassyo06
it looks pretty cool from the rear and I love the new 'R' badge ....

View attachment 211723

View attachment 211724

Gonna have to say I think I prefer the new R to the S3 looks wise, less fakery on the outside and just looks a bit better overall. Which is something I never thought I'd say as I thought the MK8 was hideous when it was released. Just wish they did a 3dr!

Last edited:
Reactions: FBF01, Jcbmally, NevMan and 2 others
Gonna have to say I think I prefer the new R to the S3 looks wise, less fakery on the outside and just looks a bit better overall. Which is something I never thought I'd say as I thought the MK8 was hideous when it was released. Just wish they did a 3dr!

Have to agree with you, and yes, a real shame about the loss of 3 door on many models, but seems they weren’t very popular.

Reactions: Snake Pliskin, pburv and Kayobong
Status
Not open for further replies.