Audi s3 Timing belt change

Dazza18

Reaction score
Hi all recently bought a 2007 s3 it has 75000 miles and no ref if the timing belt has been done? I have normally changes belts at 60 70k whats is the recommended mileage? Also does any1 no where to find a timing belt kit to buy?
Cheers Darren

Should be changed at 60000 miles or 5 years old which ever is sooner. Tps or mjr901 on here.

Reactions: S3 AEX
I have a MY09 S3, and in my servicing maintenance plan it's stated that in all 2.0 TFSI engines should the timing belt be changed every 115 000 miles without a time frame.
I'm not saying that it should be like this, I'm just saying what's written in the maintenance plan. And I know many people from the forum that changed their timing belts every 60000 miles or every 5 years (which ever comes first).
My car is 6,5 years old and it had 64 000 miles on the clock, and for precaution sake, and also because my timing belt started to make a noise when I would start the car, every first 5 minutes when I would start the car when the car was completely cold. I did my timing belt set (belt+water pump+tensioner etc.) + alternator belt with it's tensioner a month ago at the dealer's.
Aldo my mechanic that also works at the dealer's sprayed the belt with some special belt spray, and the noise when starting the cold car disappeared, I wasn't too sure in this solution and possible tragical outcome, so I changed it to be sure.
The dealers was surprisingly the cheapest option. In my country there is currently a dealers VW, AUDI 4+ discount for parts and labour on cars that are older then 4 years.

The complete timing belt set with labor was 220£, and the alternator belt was 20£ and it's tensioner was 40£, and I bought a 1,5L of fresh G13 antifreeze that was 8£.

P.S. the mechanic said it was important to change the alternator belt as well and it's tensioner, because it's possible that the alternator belt snaps and that it can get inside the timing belt's plastic housing, and can do a lot of damage there..

Reactions: Mario8P
I have a MY09 S3, and in my servicing maintenance plan it's stated that in all 2.0 TFSI engines should the timing belt be changed every 115 000 miles without a time frame.
I'm not saying that it should be like this, I'm just saying what's written in the maintenance plan. And I know many people from the forum that changed their timing belts every 60000 miles or every 5 years (which ever comes first).
My car is 6,5 years old and it had 64 000 miles on the clock, and for precaution sake, and also because my timing belt started to make a noise when I would start the car, every first 5 minutes when I would start the car when the car was completely cold. I did my timing belt set (belt+water pump+tensioner etc.) + alternator belt with it's tensioner a month ago at the dealer's.
Aldo my mechanic that also works at the dealer's sprayed the belt with some special belt spray, and the noise when starting the cold car disappeared, I wasn't too sure in this solution and possible tragical outcome, so I changed it to be sure.
The dealers was surprisingly the cheapest option. In my country there is currently a dealers VW, AUDI 4+ discount for parts and labour on cars that are older then 4 years.

The complete timing belt set with labor was 220£, and the alternator belt was 20£ and it's tensioner was 40£, and I bought a 1,5L of fresh G13 antifreeze that was 8£.

P.S. the mechanic said it was important to change the alternator belt as well and it's tensioner, because it's possible that the alternator belt snaps and that it can get inside the timing belt's plastic housing, and can do a lot of damage there..

Wow. £220 what country you in? Think it's about £550 here in the UK

Croatia. But like I said, it's because of the Audi4plus special discount on servicing packages for vehicles older then 4 years. (http://audi4plus.com.hr/) There is also a discount for oil change service, brake disc and pads, clutch kits, shock absorbers etc. etc. of course all the parts are genuine OEM. I thought that Audi will have this sort of discount on older vehicles in all countries, looks like just in poor countries. :D

Audi changed the servicing schedule at some point. I didn't know anything about it until I read it here on the forum. The other week I was going through some old invoices from Audi and at the top of one it said about the change, I never noticed it at the time!

I asked at the Dealers about this matter last year when I had my oil changed. And they said that when they enter my chassis number and the mileage, when they're opening a working order, the program tells them when was the last time e.g. the brake fluid changed, and is it due for a change now, or the spark plugs, or haldex oil, etc..the car was at the time over 5 years old, and there was no mention of the cambelt change being due. This was last year, june. But I don't think there's been any change, even now. Because when I had my cambelt changed a month ago, the service advisor asked me, why I did the change so soon (considering the miles)..

Last edited:
There is one German web shop; they are an authorized VW&Audi Dealer of original spare parts, they sell only original parts, and they have very reasonable (to say at least) prices, and they support paypal.
They don't have every part of every car on the web shop, but if I was ever in a need of a part that's not listed on their webshop, I would send them an inquiry by email (info@ahw-shop.de), with part numbers and they would send me back the response with prices and P&P charges to my country. And being an authorized dealer they have all the parts.
I will quote their prices for the cambelt kit for my car:
06F 198 119 B – 210,50€

06F 121 011 X – 60,90€

Plus 75,00€ deposit (the deposit is returned when the old water pump is returned to them)

+ 4,90€ shipping to Croatia.

Reactions: xpoweruk
I asked at the Dealers about this matter last year when I had my oil changed. And they said that when they enter my chassis number and the mileage, when they're opening a working order, the program tells them when was the last time e.g. the brake fluid changed, and is it due for a change now, or the spark plugs, or haldex oil, etc..the car was at the time over 5 years old, and there was no mention of the cambelt change being due. This was last year, june. But I don't think there's been any change, even now. Because when I had my cambelt changed a month ago, the service advisor asked me, why I did the change so soon (considering the miles)..

I don't have a lot of faith in the system as they didn't flag mine for the cam belt at the 5 years point either. Also they really stuggle to understand the difference between an oil change service and an inspection service. I book in for an oil change and end up getting both!

Reactions: s3facelift09