Audi S3 Thermostat Hose blew up.

ceS3r

Reaction score
Hi all.. first of all, excuse my English..

Since last week, my car was overheating. This happened to me once and the water temp warning light came on and I just stopped the car right away.. It turned to be one of the fuses in top of the battery, a green 30amp one.. Since then, it has been perfect, but sometimes, the fuses blow and melt, and the plastic around it too, so I was just changing them. The last week, the fuse wont fit more in the plastic, so I had today to make sort of an external fuse holder, a cable that connects to one of the metal plate, and just cut the wire that is in the connector of top of battery fuse holder, it worked perfectly, but today, on a hill climb, the car started to loose power, and the dash started to go off.. so I pulled my car of the road, and turned it off, and I had a big cloud of white smoke coming of the hood. When I opened and inspected what happened, it turned out that the hose that comes from the radiator to the engine, was broke, blown, and the thermostat was broken to.. I was keeping an eye all the time on the water temp, and it never went up, this just happened suddenly. What would be the cause of this? A faulty thermostat? I'm thinking that the thermostat was damaged and it didn't manage to open and the water just stuck and blow the hose off.. Any help would be appreciated!

I've been reading some posts, and it turns that its not my thermostat what blew, so I don't know what it is now. Tomorrow I'll post a pic.

They seem to be a common weak point. Mine failed and you couldn't even see a crack. Easy enough to replace. Not sure on your other issues though.

They seem to be a common weak point. Mine failed and you couldn't even see a crack. Easy enough to replace. Not sure on your other issues though.

If that failed, should I replace the Coolant Temp Sensor too, besides the hose of course, am I right?

Here are some pics..

20130427 115059

20130427 115105

Managed to change the hose today. All perfect, I topped the coolant with water and let the car warm up until the water came out with the air, and then just fill it with motul coolant. When the car was on, the temp was always at 90 for like 20 mins, so I went to give it a ride (air con was working and so the electric fans). But, the temp suddenly started to rise to like 100, but no more. I went back home and the aircon wont work, nor the fans. I revved up the car to like 3k and the fans kicked in at low speed and the temp came down.

I was reading some issues with the coolant temp sensor that will cause some cars to run 100ish and, in some cases, below 90. I didn't change mine with all this hose work, could this be the cause? I will really appreciate some help here please..