Audi S3 squeel

_Zerocool_

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I drove back from work today and started hearing a really weird squeeling noise. Sort of up and then down again in tone if that makes sense. At first I thought it was the song I was listening to but still heard it with the radio off. I then thought it might be a stone chip in one of the calipers but its still doing it when its idling at a stand still. Its really quite loud.

Any ideas of what it could be?

Cheers

Tim

Oh and its a 2010 S3 8P stronic with 50k and it even made a little squeak after I had turned the engine off. Some sort of valve maybe?

I was going to put my money on a bearing or a belt,but if it can be diagnosed as simply as above,then that's a useful step.

At best it finds the cause,and at worst eliminates one.

Fair one. I knew you guys would know. I took the oil filler cap off and started her up and no squeal so that must be it. Sounded rough as idling without the cap on. I put the cap back on. Turned the engine off and turned it back on again to see if the squeal came back and it hasn't. Pressure in the engine?

Yeah engine pressure as there's a bit going on in there.

The PCV valve vents the crank case as inevitably some gases from the combustion leak past the piston rings. As the pressure builds the PCV valve releases this in a controlled way.

You might find as the engine pressure builds (it might take a while) that the squeal will come back. Should be any easy fix though.

Yeah it always takes 20 mins or so of driving before it starts. I've picked up a new PCV valve and seal and its in the workshop now. fingers crossed

Guess i am late here (sorry).
Would it be better to run a catch can setup as the forge kit? I know its e bit expensive. But wouldn't it help with gunk and oil vapor going back to the intake, plus avoiding any leaks/pcv issues on the long run?

All sorted. Got a new pcv valve and seal from tps for £56 and got it fitted for £20 so jot too bad. No bad noises since. the new one is slightly different so maybe audi have identified the problem and modified the part to help prevent it from happeneing? Hopefully this thread will be helpful if someone else has the same problem anyway.

All sorted. Got a new pcv valve and seal from tps for £56 and got it fitted for £20 so jot too bad. No bad noises since. the new one is slightly different so maybe audi have identified the problem and modified the part to help prevent it from happeneing? Hopefully this thread will be helpful if someone else has the same problem anyway.

Glad you got it sorted. :)