Audi S3 - Smallest wheel size (for winter setup)

ruddocks

Reaction score
Looking for some advice regarding the smallest wheel size which can be fitted to the new S3?

I had 205/55/16 on my A3 8V S line for the winter months, but doubt the 16's will fit the S3 because of the brake disc size, is 17" the smallest permitted?

Thanks

Simon

The minimum wheel size was 17" when I had the Brembo Gran Turismo brake upgrade on my S3 (8L) and that was 323mm discs.

The S3 (8V) is 340mm discs so I think you may struggle to get 17" wheels on.

What about an A3 SE with 18" rims, can I still get away with 16" for winter or do 18" rims have bigger brake discs?

Very possible, close, depending on wheel design and offset and caliper, 345mm discs and 17" go.

FWIW I use winter tyres on 18". Is it just cost that is driving the need for smaller wheels?

FWIW I use winter tyres on 18". Is it just cost that is driving the need for smaller wheels?

Tyres with a smaller foot print have more PSI and therefore more grip in very wet conditions and for snow. They are cheaper, but require a second set of alloys.

I have a second set of alloys(which look like poo). My wife gets her tyres remounted summer and winter. I prefer the way my wife does it.

If you want to read some information on this google 'remount winter tires'. Remember to spell tyres the American way.

Tyres with a smaller foot print have more PSI and therefore more grip in very wet conditions and for snow. They are cheaper, but require a second set of alloys.

I have a second set of alloys(which look like poo). My wife gets her tyres remounted summer and winter. I prefer the way my wife does it.

If you want to read some information on this google 'remount winter tires'. Remember to spell tyres the American way.

I remount my tyres each summer and winter. There are pros and cons of doing it either way. The main pro for me is that I can keep the OEM wheels on all year.
I'm not completely convinced that the smaller tyres provide measurably more grip in UK winter conditions, I thought it was mainly related to the sipe design and softer compound. Either way I was just reassuring anyone who is forced to use 18" that the performance is excellent.

I have tried my mates Seat 17'' on and they did fit. Not to much room around a the brake caliper. Similar problem also in the back. I will try wheels on before I buy them, because not all wheel desings would fit.

I'm not completely convinced that the smaller tyres provide measurably more grip in UK winter conditions.

Why You Should Downsize Your Winter Wheels

Performance:

A 16” wheel will usually also be 2” narrower than an 18” wheel, and so take a tire that is both smaller in diameter and narrower. A smaller and narrower tire has better grip and performance in snow or ice. This is both because the smaller tire cuts through snow more effectively, and because the weight of the car is pressing on a more focused set of contact patches.

Luckily we don't usually get much snow in the UK.

Agree. So much emphasis on a tiny period of weather.

Here no snow at all last winter.

Agree. So much emphasis on a tiny period of weather.

Here no snow at all last winter.

True and I felt thoroughly cheated! But previous 3 years were well worth it and not particularly for the snow, just the very low temperatures.

. Either way I was just reassuring anyone who is forced to use 18" that the performance is excellent.

Good to hear as I have a spare set of OE S3 alloys (bought from a gent off here) with winter Dunlops fitted sitting in the garage waiting for the cold/sleet/frost...........the tread pattern looks more offroad than onroad to a numpty like me!
Couldn't be rsed swopping tyres every year and much easier to swop wheels at home, certainly initially more expensive however people will always want wheels so always a second hand market for decent alloys.

Couldn't be rsed swopping tyres every year and much easier to swop wheels at home, certainly initially more expensive however people will always want wheels so always a second hand market for decent alloys.
I swap alloys too. It is not difficult if you are used to changing tyres.

My wife gets her summer/winter tyres mounted to the same alloys. Her method is much, much easier. It usually costs £25 for other people to do the heavy lifting for her. I lift the tyres - in their bags - into the boot of her car. The bags have handles and make lifting the tyres really easy. They also keep me and the car clean. She gets them fitted on the way to/from work. The tyre bags are a great job and the reason why this method works so well for her.

£50 a year to have the tyres remounted.

How much does a good set of alloys cost?

I got a set of OE 16" alloys with winter tyres for £800 a few years back. That works out about £100 per corner for the rims and and same for the tyres, give or take.

Sadly I'll have to sell them on as they won't fit my S3.