Audi S3 service advice

Darlo

Reaction score
I wondered if any of you could offer advice on the servicing of my 2013 S3 as Audi advice is just confusing me! Sorry for the long tale but im just worried that if I get it wrong the warranty will be at risk!

It was registered December 2013 and its first service was completed with 7k on the clock in November 2014. I purchased the car from an approved Audi dealership in September 2015 with 13k miles. I asked about the service as I figured it would have been due within a couple of months of my buying it. I was told that they would only service the if it was required. I got two free services included in the deal.

So I assumed the next service was due this month given that the 2.0 TFSI engine was time/date service plan. I booked it in with my local dealer for its second service next week… however I checked the service indicator and it showing a service isn’t required for 7k miles or 290 days! I rang the supplying dealer who confirmed the PDI did not include its second service, although the days expired is pretty much to the day from when I collected it. I rang Audi Manchester who confirmed the first service was completed in November 2014. Manchester Audi also pointed out that if they sold the car and it required a service within 3 months they would have had it done.

I rang back and spoke to the salesman who sold me the car who once again confirmed the car was not serviced by them. He did some digging for me and informed me that after the first service the car was switched to a flexible service plan and that I should go off what the computer says! Is it talking rubbish to fob me off? Can the TFSI be serviced on a flexible plan or is it always time/date?

I think I am just going to get it serviced next week and put back on day/date plan if possible. This way the third service will still be completed within warranty and anything that flags up can be sorted come first MOT time.

I just wanted members thoughts as I am totally confused!

Basically if you do less that 10k miles a year, the car should be serviced once a year. If you do more than 10k a year it can be serviced on the 'long-fife' service setup where it is serviced when the DIS indicates that a service is needed.

On my current and previous 2.0TDI's I do around 14k a year and let the car tell me when it requires a service. This is usually around 18-19k. This has been the situation for all of my nine A3's.

Reactions: Darlo
I agree it is confusing and dealers never explain it at all well, in fact they always push towards the flexi plan.

Ok, it's quite simple - there are 2 plans
- fixed servicing (for if you do under 10k miles a year)
- flexible servicing (for if you do greater than 10k miles a year)

The MMI/ service will need to be set up to reflect the plan you want, this can only be done when the car is serviced (due to the countdown until next service due)

You need to decide which plan meets your needs and then at the next service, if you decide on fixed, get it changed. If flexible is what you need, then you are already on that and no need to get a service done until it tells you (as your MMI is already set to flexible)

Hope that clarifies

Reactions: A3_Rider and Darlo
Thanks guys. I do under 10k miles a year so I will go with plan A and get it serviced next week and get them it to change it back to a fixed service plan.

Well I have just rang Audi and asked for them to service it as if it was an annual service and they said they wont do that until the car needs it...which according to the computer is 287 days or 7k miles!

Am I being overly cautious here? Should I just wait or just I kick up a fuss and demand its serviced next week!

Mine is set to "Fixed" ...but I am now doing more than my expected 10K miles a year .......should I get it in to them early? or wait until March 2016 (1 year)

Mine is set to "Fixed" ...but I am now doing more than my expected 10K miles a year .......should I get it in to them early? or wait until March 2016 (1 year)

I would wait until your next service date on the current schedule (March 2016) and then if you are still doing more than 10K a year ask them to change the plan to the long life/high mileage schedule.

Well I have just rang Audi and asked for them to service it as if it was an annual service and they said they wont do that until the car needs it...which according to the computer is 287 days or 7k miles!

Am I being overly cautious here? Should I just wait or just I kick up a fuss and demand its serviced next week!

The software on cars these days is pretty damn good at telling you when things need servicing so if you leave it, then I don't think there will be any harm done.

Realistically the fixed <10k/year service is mainly an oil change, as with aluminium based engines, you can get a build up of water in the oil if not used much. If yours has done pretty low mileage since its last service - say only 2-3k, then I'd say maybe get some fresh oil and a filter dropped in, but leave the rest of the service until the MMI suggests is due and then maybe get it changed back to fixed servicing.

Significantly more? If not then I'd agree with Daveotto above. But if we are talking significantly more, then I'd speak with the dealer and maybe get it done earlier (but not before the 10K miles are up!)

Basically if you do less that 10k miles a year, the car should be serviced once a year. If you do more than 10k a year it can be serviced on the 'long-fife' service setup where it is serviced when the DIS indicates that a service is needed.

On my current and previous 2.0TDI's I do around 14k a year and let the car tell me when it requires a service. This is usually around 18-19k. This has been the situation for all of my nine A3's.

NINE! A3's. Where do you keep them all? :openmouth:

The (major) Service and Oil change are two different things, I would strongly recommend an oil change yearly regardless of mileage for the S3! I did mine a few thousand miles earlier than the indicator and explained it's what I always do for oil changes.

As for the service I don't see a problem in following the indicators guidance unless you feel some change in driving?

I agree with A3 about the annual oil change, having been on the long-life and the fixed with different Audi cars over many years. I have also been on the Audi service plan which appears to add to the confusion during the warranty as it is in their interest to keep the service prices down.

I also found continual conflict with the dealers about when they want you to get things done, particularly during the warranty stage. The 'inspection' IMO service is/was really bizarre, they advise that the inspection would tell you if you needed the pollen or air filters changed. This is very subjective and if not changed then you wait for another two years (although I never saw much of a reduced service cost when parts not changed). I moved away from the dealers for this reason and when to a good indy with oil change and filter one year and full service with all filters at the second which served me well.
My latest new Audi is on a five year warranty so regrettably I need to start all of that dealership discussion again to ensure software and map updates are completed.
I know filters and cam belts etc change times have moved on for the 8V from my last new B8 A4 but I will still be insisting that as the customer I have the annual oil change and the filters changed when I want them. I know some will say that it is not necessary but as a customer you should be able to choose, and they quote accordingly or they lose the business.
I actually don't hold out much hope that I will be successful and will probably take it to Audi for the basic oil change and updates and the indy for the full service and other work using the oem parts to maintain the warranty aspect.

NINE! A3's. Where do you keep them all? :openmouth:
Only owned one at a time!.. The first one was an 8L 1.8T Sport in 1998 followed by three more 8L's, four 8P's, all s-tronic's, two 140s and two 170s and now my current 8V 2.0TDI-184 quattro s-tronic. They have all be kept in the same garage attached to my house!!