Audi S3 Repair - Any advice?

A3_Rider

Reaction score
My car was in an accident (not my fault) and went for repair, insurers own repairer.

Been a couple of months now and when I chased it up they offered to give it back partially repaired until they can repair the remainder.

The repairer deemed it not safe to drive but the insurer decided it was safe after I asked why the delays.

No more courtesy car now, insurer said I can only have a 1L even if the repair takes 6 months. They are not being helpful and even the manager lied a few times.

I asked the garage to give me something in writing to confirm I am not taking the car back as fully repaired, they said they would not do that.

I no longer have a car now.

I am not sure on the plan of action, thinking its best to take the car back, and if there are faults:

1. DEKRA assessment
2. Resolver complaint to include DEKRA report and evidences
3. Give copy of 2. to CEO of insurer firm - asking that the car be repaired by Audi for the remaining bits/what is not done properly

I heard the garage guy shouting "Put the A3 back together" which has really f'd my head up.

What do you think?

No repairs should take that long unless there’s a problem sourcing parts. Audi churns these cars out every minute of the day.
As it wasn’t your fault you should be entitled to a courtesy for as long as the repairs take as you should not be at ‘loss’.
My car was written off and I had a courtesy car till the cheque cleared. It was a POS Astra but it kept me on the road.
I would take this up with your insurer and start a complaint process and say you have lost confidence in the repairers and you want to take it elsewhere. Even pop down and take some photos. They probably haven’t started the job.
I wouldn’t take the car back unless it’s finished. You don’t want to go down the route of the repairers arguing you broke something and refuse to finish the job.

Reactions: Pinky1959
What Insurance company? You should have the right of choice as to the repair garage. I am always leery of any Insurance company recommending a repair facility.
The at fault Insurance company is responsible for your loaner car costs even if your own Insurance company only offers, as per your contract, 1 month etc. for an accident that you were at fault.
Were the police called to the accident and wrote an accident report with declaration of fault percentage to those involved and included impartial witnesses reports.
Your Insurance company sounds a wee bit dodgy from what you state and that is an understatement.

I would be writing to your insurance company and telling them the car is not repaired and you wont be taking it back as the garage state it is not safe but the insurer state it is , (How do they know , find out who said this and what part of the company they are in )
Also ask and get it in writing from them if you took it back unrepaired will you be insured if anything happens ?

What Insurance company? You should have the right of choice as to the repair garage. I am always leery of any Insurance company recommending a repair facility.
The at fault Insurance company is responsible for your loaner car costs even if your own Insurance company only offers, as per your contract, 1 month etc. for an accident that you were at fault.
Were the police called to the accident and wrote an accident report with declaration of fault percentage to those involved and included impartial witnesses reports.
Your Insurance company sounds a wee bit dodgy from what you state and that is an understatement.

If repaired through the at fault insurer then it’s easy to choose your own repairer, some insurers though when you’re the policy holder make it difficult by charging double your excess to choose your own (costs them more as they pay their ‘approved’ repairers peanuts)

If the OP is not at fault as he says then he should be in a car for as long as it takes to repair his as his insurance will claim the money back anyway!

@A3_Rider what was the reason given for not being able to repair the car fully? Personally I’d only want it back once it’s fully repaired.

Just an update, and thanks so far ...

I am now told the car is now not safe to drive (as originally told) and so I cannot have it, I initially just went with the flow hence never selected my own insurer.

I have the option to find my own repairer now but no one will take it because it has been repaired i.e. this repairer will blame the other repairer for any issues and the insurer will not pay out.

Their reason for delay was parts, that's it nothing else.

See what tomorrow brings?

Wow!!

I wouldn't take the car back unrepaired, even with a letter.

Send the insurer a letter stating the facts, that the length of time their chosen repairer is taking is unsatisfactory etc and state what you want. Give them a time limit to reply. Threaten to take the matter to the financial ombudsman if the matter is not resolved expediently.

What insurance company is it?? Sounds like one to avoid.

What parts are they waiting for? Most bits are readily available even if it came from Germany it shouldn’t take 2 months. Audi builds these cars in minutes.
Could be an excuse from the body shop. They are probably charging storage from the insurer.

What parts are they waiting for? Most bits are readily available even if it came from Germany it shouldn’t take 2 months. Audi builds these cars in minutes.
Could be an excuse from the body shop. They are probably charging storage from the insurer.

From memory, the body shop can’t charge for storage once they’re repairing the car as that’s where they’re making their money. They can only charge for storage once the car has been written off and not collected, even then it’s usually after a certain time.

Reactions: Svenedin
Update ...

Now "safe" to drive, after 2 days given me a courtesy car (not like for like though I had to lol).

Will be making an appointment to check vehicle hoping to get an assessor with me, think I should VCDS and take pics myself as worst case?

The insurer is "one of the best" like top 3, I do intend to take this all the way just depends on quality of repair.

They are giving it me back part repaired though, them, nor the insurer seem to understand they cannot do that but they are cornering me by saying I will not have a car otherwise.

I will be making a file soon and start the process via Resolver.co.uk

Just thought I'd update, went to see it - I tried to find faults and flaws even did VCDS scan, checked paint job (put it under light also), tested the car etc have to say I am happy, can't see any damage it is better than before, I am also relieved. Car swirls have gone also, not sure how they did that!

Couple of issues but nothing that meant I couldn't take it, I have missed it, really missed it, I already appreciated it but it feels like a brand new car.

The main issue for them was poor communications, in terms of the job there were 7 pages of work and I went through it with the guy who worked on the car. I feel that if I took it to Audi they would have definitely written it off, for cost reasons, and that would have been the last thing I wanted, although this is the insurer's own repairer they didn't cut corners, just didn't inflate the repair job.

Oh and in the evening did the worst curb job to my wheel, it is the worst I have ever done to a car, any car...:sour:

Onwards and upwards etc