Audi S3 Problem

spliffey

Reaction score
Hi there basically my car was overheating as temp was going upto 110 but if i turned car on and off it would to back to 90 instantly, so i got the thermostat changed thinking it was this, but now its worse it gets upto 120 and hardly cools downs :(
Any ideas guys??

Thanks in advance

Thermostat issues would mean the temp would nopt get hot... over heating is norm alloy a failed water pump...

CTS failure (in my experience) doesn't over read... if you are seeing 110 deg then I suspect its the pump...

<tuffty/>

Thanks guys, if it was sensor would it read on vagcom??
Just took out now it gets to 110 very quick and then 120 and stays on there? Could it be head gasket possibly?

Does sound like it could be the water pump, do you know if its been changed as they do tend to break the fins off, I wouldn't be driving far if this is the case as you could do more damaged with it overheating

I don't know mate, any ways to find out? I'm not really a mechanical person :p

Not easily... do you know if the cam belt has been done and if the water pump was changed at the same time?

<tuffty/>

Yeah Cambelts been done, cant find receipts for water pump so I'm guessing no...

Aye... my vote is pump... normally done with the cambelt change as its the same amount of work to get too..

<tuffty/>

When the engine is cold you could take the top off where the antifreeze goes in and get someone to rev the engine, have a look and see if there is any movement in the water, also see if the pipes to the radiator get hot, but from what you say about getting hot very quick it does sound like the water pump, it should always be changed same time as cambelt, I did mine after only 50k and it looked rough

Il have a look when it's not so cold outside, I also wanted to add that car blows cold air from heaters....

that'll be because your water isn't being circulated around the engine because of your broken pump. Therefore the heater matrix never gets hot and therefore the air that gets blown over it never gets hot??

Haha yep I trust all you s3 owners that it's the water pump, I'm getting it done tomorrow so il let you all know, also Alex it might get slightly warm sometimes when temp will hit 110 but then will cool back down :(

Thanks guys, turns out it was the water pump
Thanks for your help!!!

I know this is a silly question, but have you checked that the engine is actually that hot? and is fan kicking in etc?
Ive had a lot of problems with: Fuel gauge, rev counter, speedo, lcd screen and temp gauge (same sorta problem as yours). Its all to do with a faulty Instrument Cluster.

Thanks guys, turns out it was the water pump
Thanks for your help!!!

I know this is a silly question, but have you checked that the engine is actually that hot? and is fan kicking in etc?
Ive had a lot of problems with: Fuel gauge, rev counter, speedo, lcd screen and temp gauge (same sorta problem as yours). Its all to do with a faulty Instrument Cluster.

silly? as in water pump was suggested, checked and found to be the fault and problem solved? that sort of silly? :p