Audi S3 PFL vs Mercedes A35 AMG

Whatever mate, I have been a member of this forum for sometime and a few owners were interested to hear my thoughts on the A35 when I switched.

This was my sole reason for putting the post up, I don't expect much love for a Mercedes on an Audi forum.

My opinion is just that "mine" having owned and driven both cars.

I think it speaks volumes about the type of person you are that you have to come up with your cheap comments.

There is nothing cheap looking or feeling about the A35 and its just as well put together as the S3.

I guess I am just open minded enough to entertain the fact that there may be a better car out there than the one I currently own.

I think the car looks awesome inside and out - your original post peaked my interest enough to get me to go to Mercedes and have a look at one in the flesh - they didn't have one, not even a standard A class, which was most disappointing, I love the yellow, but something pulls me towards that matt grey finish they do..

Reactions: NevMan, Chris4410 and loftylad
The Matt grey is quite an expensive option, the Matt paint is also quite hard to look after which would put me off.

The Mountain grey would be a good alternative.

Whatever mate, I have been a member of this forum for sometime and a few owners were interested to hear my thoughts on the A35 when I switched.

This was my sole reason for putting the post up, I don't expect much love for a Mercedes on an Audi forum.

I think it speaks volumes about the type of person you are that you have to come up with your cheap comments.

There is nothing cheap looking or feeling about the A35 and its just as well put together as the S3.

I guess I am just open minded enough to entertain the fact that there may be a better car out there than the one I currently own.

Don’t stop posting updates @Chris4410, most of us on here are car nuts, so love seeing pics and updates about all cars, not just Audi.

Reactions: AG1996, Marshy, Jcbmally and 7 others
Don’t stop posting updates @Chris4410, most of us on here are car nuts, so love seeing pics and updates about all cars, not just Audi.

No worries, most folks on here are sensible and can have a grown up debate. I don't mind unbiased constructive reviews or feedback on cars.

Where I lose interest and respect for anyone is when they come in with a completely closed off view, start throwing about unsubstantiated and frankly uneducated opinions on something they clearly have no real world experience off. In general the kind of structured argument you expect from a 9 year old.

Reactions: Chris.D, Jcbmally, Adam14 and 2 others
No worries, most folks on here are sensible and can have a grown up debate. I don't mind unbiased constructive reviews or feedback on cars.

Where I lose interest and respect for anyone is when they come in with a completely closed off view, start throwing about unsubstantiated and frankly uneducated opinions on something they clearly have no real world experience off. In general the kind of structured argument you expect from a 9 year old.

haha so you say your opinion about the a3/s3 difference witch is true.
and I jut say my thing about the normal a and the a35 that there's also not much of a difference besides the wing and (in my opinion) the cheap looking exhausts.

Do you know what, you are spot on

And yer not alone on here...........mate there's plenty...........most are Champions League Grade....yer just Vauxhall Conference Grade....lol

Reactions: NevMan
haha why? because I say my opinion?
You know what they say about opinions mate.... may be put it across a little less brash next time

Reactions: Jassyo06 and NevMan
Really like the look of the A35.

As said before, i’m really not a fan of the yellow and maybe the blue could be toned down in the interior but it’s a good looking car.

Maybe not the A35 but an AMG line A Class could be a contender when I get rid of my 1.0 TFSI that apparently looks like an S3 (says sarcastically) haha.

Plenty of fanboys out there that blindly stick to their chosen brand no matter what. With some folk it's like supporting a football team. Even if the current squad is garbage, they'd never dream of supporting someone else.

Reactions: loftylad and Jcbmally
I always thought the S3 particularly on saloon form was a good looking car and a quality package all round. My issue was/is that it wasn't different enough over a standard Sline A3 which depending upon spec could have 10-15k less.

This has always been the case with S cars across the entire Audi range though. Same goes for BMW who until recently havent even bothered specific branding to their higher powered cars (outside of the full blown M cars).

This has always been the case with S cars across the entire Audi range though. Same goes for BMW who until recently havent even bothered specific branding to their higher powered cars (outside of the full blown M cars).

BMW didn’t have an “in between” model until the M135i came out, and they never give those proper M branding. Audi did specifically brand the S3, S4 and S5 as such, they dropped this when the facelift came out choosing to leave it with S only brand you get through the entire Sline range.

Well, out of curiosity I walked into my local Mercedes dealership yesterday. They had both a Yellow and Denim Blue A35 AMG, and both with the full Aero packs.

Annoyingly, the Denim Blue car looked pretty damn good I have to say. Sat inside and It certainly looks and feels better in the flesh that what it does in the pictures.

Steering wheel. Still far to many buttons on the wheel, and unless you know where everything is without looking, it could very easily become dangerous if you take your eyes off the road for too long while trying to figure out which button to press. Overall size feel of the wheel felt pretty good, and looked / felt quite sporty. Impressed.

Flappy paddles. This for me is the biggest `tick` over Audi. Where Audi's are small, and too far round the back, the AMG's were a good size and in very easy finger reach. I could see using the paddles in the AMG `could` be a daily proposition. Where in any Audi I have left them alone, I could see myself using these, which is the whole point. Still no substitute for a good manual gearbox. Overall though? Impressed.

Seats. They look more supporting than they feel. Would have preferred to feel a bit more cocooned, but certainly still a nice seat. No difference to the SS Seats in the S3. Though I'd need to drive the car to see how they fell. Overall? OK.

Dashboard and Ipads. Both cars have the optional `large` screens. I was impressed with the amount of options, graphics, and Sat Nav display. Way above what Audi have in the A3. The materials and finish of the dash left me impressed. No scratchy plastics, and again once seeing in the flesh, the Ipads don't look quite so `after thought` as the pictures seam to show. Still stuck on though. The options for how the speedo, rev counter etc can be, was ok. I can see the appeal, but once changed to your preferred option, you'd never change it again. So maybe standard analogue dials and an entertainment screen would have been better? For me at least. The steering wheel does block out some of the screen, so you have to bend your neck to see, and I had to raise the steering wheel about my preferred position otherwise it chopped the top of the display off. But I didn't really play about with the seating / steering wheel positions too much. I was pleased that the silly glow lights can be turned right down or off. Which is far better than being sat in a `Blue` glow (or which every colour is your choice. Overall? Surprisingly impressed, but not wholly convinced.

They have a demo car which is at another dealer. But when they get it back they are going to arrange a test drive for me. It'll be interesting to see what it's like on the road, and how the gearbox feels compared to Audi's very flawed DSG box.

The hatch in Denim looked very appealing. They had the new A-Class saloon in, but not in A35 trim obviously. But I'd be nice to compare both Hatch and Saloon together. Like the S3, I think the A35 Saloon will look a bit classier, and less `Boy racer`.

Pleased I called in, and saw one in the flesh. More impressed than I ever thought I would be. Would I seriously consider buying one? Actually, I would add it to my list of possibilities.

But the biggest problem yesterday was also calling in to the Porsche dealership to initially drool over the Guards Red GT3 they had. I spotted a Blue Cayman GT4. Perfect spec for me. Bucket seats, carbon interior, and some other sought after options. Black wheels, which I don't like, but can be changed I suppose. A nice chat to the salesman saw me sat looking at finance options.

Affordable? Yes (with a big gulp). Is the `want` strong? Hell yes. Can I justify tying up so much money in a weekend toy, that will sit in the garage most of it's life? Hmm, there's the dilemma. But my thoughts are long term. The GT4 seams to hit the sweet spot between being quick enough for what anyone would need, without being too quick to use to the full. Manual box, 918 carbon backed bucket seats, and a car that has been classed as one of Porsches finest GT cars. Could be a future classic with prices to match. Only dread, it Porsches consumables prices. Cup 2 tyres won't last long, and discs and pad run into the thousands for a full set.

Hmm.

Reactions: loftylad, Chris4410, Ron240 and 1 other person
I really like your car .
It is stunning , but will need a lot of cleaning ! !

Congratulations on the new motor, i love the color and everything else about it, not too keen on the rear wing but thats just taste and luckily everyones is different and it's probably a necessity. Having not owned any of the two i would take either but i would say the Merc does look a bit jazzier.

Reactions: Chris4410
@wab172uk That was a good post. :)
I think that unless the Porsche is easily affordable then I would just forget it. It's far too much money to spend(and keep spending) on a toy. :(

Reactions: Chris4410
@wab172uk That was a good post. :)
I think that unless the Porsche is easily affordable then I would just forget it. It's far too much money to spend(and keep spending) on a toy. :(

Yeah, that's my thinking too. I sold my R8 due to lack of use. It would sometime sit in the garage for over a month without moving. Now I'm self employed I work lots of weekends. Heart says "do it an own one of Porsches finest cars". My head says "are you mad!!".

Reactions: loftylad, NevMan and Chris4410
Yeah, that's my thinking too. I sold my R8 due to lack of use. It would sometime sit in the garage for over a month without moving. Now I'm self employed I work lots of weekends. Heart says "do it an own one of Porsches finest cars". My head says "are you mad!!".

If I was going to that price point there would be very little on my list other than a 718, maybe in 3 years time when the A35 goes. I would love a Porsche, unfortunately it just wasn't in the running this time due to a combination of cost and practicality.

Reactions: loftylad and NevMan
If I was going to that price point there would be very little on my list other than a 718, maybe in 3 years time when the A35 goes. I would love a Porsche, unfortunately it just wasn't in the running this time due to a combination of cost and practicality.

Aiming at porsche for my next car but lower budget, looking at Gen 2 987’s Boxsters and Caymans. Not silly money but a nice low miler to use for the next 3/4 years.

Reactions: loftylad and NevMan
Aiming at porsche for my next car but lower budget, looking at Gen 2 987’s Boxsters and Caymans. Not silly money but a nice low miler to use for the next 3/4 years.
Do you not think you’ll struggle downgrading in terms of technology going that way though? I looked at some 14/15 reg Caymans a few months ago which still go for decent money and the interiors just look so old and dated for a daily driver I think it’d do my head in, which is a shame because I really do like the look of them.

I’d love a 718 cayman but that’s into RS3 money then and I’ve got to be relatively sensible due to thinking of buying a house soon :cry:

Reactions: NevMan and TYb
Do you not think you’ll struggle downgrading in terms of technology going that way though? I looked at some 14/15 reg Caymans a few months ago which still go for decent money and the interiors just look so old and dated for a daily driver I think it’d do my head in, which is a shame because I really do like the look of them.

I’d love a 718 cayman but that’s into RS3 money then and I’ve got to be relatively sensible due to thinking of buying a house soon :cry:

I don’t think so, I’ve looked at after market head units to get car play etc but also think I’d be happy with the Porsche nav system and usb set up, Bose sounds good enough in the one test drive I’ve had.

Currently have s Tronic and would like a pdk, have to decide if want a manual s or pdk 2.9 due to budget.

I can’t think what else I’d want to be honest, the interiors are very simple but I don’t mind that as there isn’t much to age in there.

The main desire is the drive and noise, torn between Boxster and Cayman. If could give the s3 back today I’d be going to see these 2.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201904066689808
I just found a great car on Auto Trader:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201903055585967

Reactions: Bells and Jassyo06
I sat in the A35 when my wife ordered/picked up a GLC recently.
I was very impressed, it was a nice place to sit, and cabin wise was a step above my S3 at the time. The seats were very comfy too.

Not a hatchback fan and IMO the dashboard and the rear spoiler on the A35 looks out of a comic book. But that is just a matter of my taste and to each their own.

I couldn't get on with the interiors on this generation, the 718 interiors are light years ahead in design and tech.

Reactions: Bells and TYb
Agreed they are but tech is bottom of the list to be honest, I want a good engine, handling and fun factor. Had Modern Audi’s for years now and tech tweaks have worn off on me.

The S3 is a good modern car but it rarely excites me these days.

Reactions: Bells and NevMan
How is the FL such a giant step up from the PFL?
add the
7 speed dsg Gearbox and the hike in power, external styling it makes a big difference and if you pop on some options like the virtual Cockpit etc etc l had a S3 PFL for 30 months previously hated how it drove and handled

Reactions: Oreo5000 and NevMan
BMW didn’t have an “in between” model until the M135i came out, and they never give those proper M branding. Audi did specifically brand the S3, S4 and S5 as such, they dropped this when the facelift came out choosing to leave it with S only brand you get through the entire Sline range.

They did across the range but didn't distinguish them from the normal models. Hence why the 335i and now 440i is compared with the S5 by the motoring press. The M135i was the first be given specific branding but the 135i before it is essentially the same class of car.

add the
7 speed dsg Gearbox and the hike in power, external styling it makes a big difference and if you pop on some options like the virtual Cockpit etc etc l had a S3 PFL for 30 months previously hated how it drove and handled
Same here! I did'nt 'hate' it, but.. not exactly a memorable car. My FL is worlds apart!

add the

Don't forget about the pops and crackles on the overrun!!

I had the unpleasant experience of test driving the new A series not so long ago. The salesperson who arranged it all had obviously forgotten as it was his day off, thus they had to cobble in someone else, ex ford. Throughout the whole experience they never once offered us a beverage of any kind, there were no saloons to drive, none in the country what so ever and none expected until October, thus my test drive was in a A200 hatchback auto.
Horrible thing, the exhaust made a very unpleasant rasping noise, the gearbox didn't seem to know what gear it should be in and was constantly changing them. The low speed urban ride was appalling and tiring.
So never again, some might be hoodwinked by the flashy interior and technology but it was all cheap looking and flimsy and why oh why place the gear selector on the steering wheel surround, another cheap and flimsy lever.
But then if your Mercedes franchise here in the south East is run by Lookers then they would be better off selling Fords or Vauxhalls, as they used to in Barnsley...

Reactions: mve7, davc and Jassyo06
I had the unpleasant experience of test driving the new A series not so long ago. The salesperson who arranged it all had obviously forgotten as it was his day off, thus they had to cobble in someone else, ex ford. Throughout the whole experience they never once offered us a beverage of any kind, there were no saloons to drive, none in the country what so ever and none expected until October, thus my test drive was in a A200 hatchback auto.
Horrible thing, the exhaust made a very unpleasant rasping noise, the gearbox didn't seem to know what gear it should be in and was constantly changing them. The low speed urban ride was appalling and tiring.
So never again, some might be hoodwinked by the flashy interior and technology but it was all cheap looking and flimsy and why oh why place the gear selector on the steering wheel surround, another cheap and flimsy lever.
But then if your Mercedes franchise here in the south East is run by Lookers then they would be better off selling Fords or Vauxhalls, as they used to in Barnsley...
Yeah the saloon won't be available til Sept /October as they are leasing deals available already for the AMG line 250 saloon, Mercedes seem hell bent on flooding the market with the A class

Lookers. Make me shudder just thinking about them. Worst dealership I've had the misfortune of dealing with. Yet here in the North east, they have taken over pretty much everything. VW, Audi, Ford. They have a policy of not allowing individual dealerships to present different deals. When looking to buy my MK7 Golf GTI, I went to my local dealership. Got the salesman's deal which I thought was poor, so went off to speak to the Middlesbrough branch. Got a better deal, but wouldn't match the best deal I had of `DTD`.

Anyway by the time I got home the phone rang. It was the salesman from my local dealer laughing saying the deal I got from Middlesbrough was void as they no `Lookers` dealership was allowed beat his. Got told to F***off and I bought elsewhere.

I did use the local dealership for servicing / fault finding. But that's another story, previously told on here.

Now my local Audi dealer is under the Lookers umbrella. Where before they would do there best to `do a deal` I now suspect any deals there will be hard to come by, as lookers seam to do the worst deals out there.

Reactions: cuke2u and Adam14
UK Audi dealers seem to be the dealerships from hell. Unbelievable servicing costs, poor customer relationships and too many nationwide dealers such as Lookers. No issues with Audi dealers in Canada.

Reactions: loftylad and Jassyo06