Audi S3 Juddering / ABS or ESP feels like its kicking in on tight turns?!?

jimbob442

Reaction score
As the title states I need some help with my S3 juddering on full lock / 3 point turns in both driving and reversing, I have changed the haldex controller / serviced the haldex coupling as the problem used to seem like the rear was locking up and dragging, but that now doesn't seem like the issue it seems like its from the front and stutters / judders and seems like the abs is kicking in and restricting it from moving properly?!

Its a 2002 BAM engine model if this makes any difference.

No fault codes as usual!!

Thanks in advance!!

There was a similar thread the other day, think it turned out it was to do with tyres...do a search mate, that may help you out.

Thanks Nilz, I've done so many searches!! So many people seem to have such similar problems with wheels dragging etc on full lock but nobody really seems to come back and explain there cure thats why I thought i'd start a new thread.

Anyone else can shine any light on this for me?? Would an ABS Sensor or YAW Sensor cause these symptoms or would they throw a code up???
Thanks

Outer cv joints?

I did consider this Blackie but no oise / knocks as you'd expect from a CV joint?!? I've had them go in other cars and got a load of knocking on turns before hand!!?

Thanks for the input buddy

Ah right, dunno then, I haven't had any experience with the Quattro models and it kinda sounded like cv joints from your description. I guess you have no warning lights coming on?

I've had this before mate. No error messages in VCDS but if you view ABS measuring blocks 001 you'll see the speed o all 4 wheel speed sensors. My bet is that one can't keep up with the others and a new sensor will fix it. You'll need to see which sensor is the problem first though.

Another way to see whether it is an ABS issue or a mechanical issue is to pull the ABS units fuse out and go for a drive. If the issues goes then you know it's probably the problem I've mentioned above.

Cheers Westy, tried that today and didn't change it but now it feels really like the rear dragging again, serviced the haldex and changed the controller but didnt work, then I thought it was at the front now it feels like the rear locking up again, only light I have on is the ESP light constantly with the Haldex fuse in/out.

Same prob as a lot of people now it sounds but with ESP light on is this has happened to anyone with a haldex issue?!?[

Thanks guys

I've had this before mate. No error messages in VCDS but if you view ABS measuring blocks 001 you'll see the speed o all 4 wheel speed sensors. My bet is that one can't keep up with the others and a new sensor will fix it. You'll need to see which sensor is the problem first though.

Another way to see whether it is an ABS issue or a mechanical issue is to pull the ABS units fuse out and go for a drive. If the issues goes then you know it's probably the problem I've mentioned above.

ABS sensor would be my guess, otherwise steering angle sensor.

Also, check the fuses on top of the battery. If the Haldex/ESP fuse blows it can make all sorts happen; they easily get corroded and give mismatched signals.

Klappe what exactly does thie fuse look like or how do I know which is which? My car has the battery cover misssing and I dont recall any fuses on top of the battery?!? You wouldnt have a pic for me to check against would you? Not with the car at the moment!

Also Westy I dont have vagcom to try, a pal of mine gonna have a look with Vagcom this week to see if he finds anything?!

Does anyone know if its a big job changing the full rear diff / haldex as I have a spare off a TT just didnt like the thought of stripping the old one out etc!!??

Thanks!

ABS sensor would be my guess, otherwise steering angle sensor.

Also, check the fuses on top of the battery. If the Haldex/ESP fuse blows it can make all sorts happen; they easily get corroded and give mismatched signals.

Last edited:
You really need your mates VCDS to troubleshoot this problem. I wouldn't worry about the haldex side of things yet till you can guarentee that all 4 wheel speed sensors are working correctly.

Thanks pal,

Do you know exactly what I need to do in Vagcom to check these, also how do I test / reset the steering angle sensor (YAW Sensor?!) incase my pal doesn't know and I can explain it to him as I havnt a notion of how to use VCDS!!

You really need your mates VCDS to troubleshoot this problem. I wouldn't worry about the haldex side of things yet till you can guarentee that all 4 wheel speed sensors are working correctly.

You need to select the "ABS" module in VCDS, then measuring blocks. Choose block 001 and it'll display 4 figures, 1 for each wheel speed sensor. Get your mate to log these figures while you go for a drive. Try to get the abs issue to occur so you can see what the wheel sensors are doing. Normally you'll see one of the figures struggling to keep up with the others. Let me know how it goes.

Right, update time.. Got the car on Vagcom last night and esp light was being caused by steering angle sensor so reset that and light went off, checked ABS Wheel Sensors and everything seemed ok, went into 22-AWD and done the output test and it ran through the pump stuff but didn't hear any noise whatsoever like the pump doing anything but when I drove the car afterwards the dragging issue disappeared. Until this morning when it was back again!! Now im thinking Pre-Charge Pump may be at fault?!? Could this cause my issues as I've seen someone else called Jas Lad on here cure the same issue with a pump replacement after several controller changes!!??

Yeah Westy, not got the logs yet tho just waiting for my pal to send them through, All sensors seemed to be recording near enough the same data all the time so don't think there is an issue there, The reason i'm thinking pre-charge pump is because it never made a sound when running through the tests and also when we monitored it driving it was constantly on HI and never seen it change to LO once!
Did you go for a drive and log the wheel speed sensor data?

Yeah Westy, not got the logs yet tho just waiting for my pal to send them through, All sensors seemed to be recording near enough the same data all the time so don't think there is an issue there, The reason i'm thinking pre-charge pump is because it never made a sound when running through the tests and also when we monitored it driving it was constantly on HI and never seen it change to LO once!

Hmmm, could really do with borrowing your mates VCDS so you have it for as soon as the error reoccurs. You may find the steering sensor has thrown another wobbly too and it might be worth sorting that first to eliminate it from the diagnosis.

Well I tried it afterwards and no fault coming back up with steering angle, I know the tracking needs doing but still no ESP light returned!!
Hmmm, could really do with borrowing your mates VCDS so you have it for as soon as the error reoccurs. You may find the steering sensor has thrown another wobbly too and it might be worth sorting that first to eliminate it from the diagnosis.