Audi S3 ICE Help

AjM

Living in Blissful Ignorance
Reaction score
:sos:
Hi all,
I have an after market headunit (some old Sony thing), however my car has a standard subwoofer, which the previous owner has very crudely wired into the speaker cables. There a few cables into the plug but he has only seemed to connect about 4, suffice to say it does not work:sign_omg:. Has anyone done it properly and have some :sign_pics:?
I don't think it is BOSE but again all the spealkers were changed so i am not sure.
Thanks, Ant

Sounds like the prvious owner has disconnected the sub and wired the rear speakers directly to the Sony HU. If the sub has a red connector then it's the non Bose one, it has a puny amp inside it which "powers" the rears and the sub (2 x 20w and 1 x 50w peak). To get the sub "working" you need to reconnect the red plug (if it's been disconnected), and use this adapter at the HU in order to feed the sub pre-out (RCA's) or if the Sony doesn't have one the rear pre-outs into the sub amp.
http://www.carstereos4u.co.uk/audi-...utoleads-pc9-404-harness-adaptor-819863--.php
You can get this adapter from Halfords or Maplins.
However the sub will not be very loud as it only has 50w peak going to it, which I imagine is about the same as the Sony is kicking out to the cabin speakers, so you're on a hiding to nowhere really. If you want decent bass, then far better to forget the tupperware sub and fit a proper active sub in its place or one of my stealth subs if you need all your boot space:
http://www.motorsavers.co.uk/products.php?plid=m2b3s10p92&rs=gb
http://www.dizzythedog.com/index.php?f=data_audi_a3_stealth_sub&a=0

That is what he has done. He has wired the rears directly to the head unit. If i get that plug adaptor do i still need the rears wired into the stereo?
I want your boot sub but i have not got the notes at the mo however i could stretch to £11.99....

You can do it either way. Probably the best solution in the interim would be to rewire the rears back to the Audi sub, as they were originally, then use the adapter with your rear RCA's from the Sony, and fade to rear quite a lot to balance the power, otherwise you will be unable to hear the sub over the cabin speakers.

I want your boot sub but i have not got the notes at the mo however i could stretch to £11.99...

Get saving. It's the best single mod you can do to your car!!

Cheers,

My pleasure Andy.

BTW, I've now managed to squeeze a MRV-F357 5-channel amp into the rear quarter, so no Bose in circuit now...

Cheers,

Excellent, those 5 channel Alpines are pretty hard to find, but save a lot of hassle. Have you upgraded the speakers?

Yeh. Rainbow front components, and a pair of Infinity 6x9" in the rear quarter panels I had from a previous install. All with custom MDF mounts, similar in design to your templates.

Sounds sooo much better than the stock system.

Cheers,

love the look of the sub andy do you do any deals for AS.net members :D

It's already priced for AS.net members, ebay pricing is a lot more. £120 for the enclosure which uses £45 in materials and takes 6 hours to build is a bargain, especially when you look at the prices of the fibreglass tat available from the likes of autoacoustics at £190.
You can have one for £110 unpainted!

Any could you pm me a price for everything box sub amp and wiring as all i would need to do it fit it? also if poss break it down as i think i may have an amp just need to check it out :)

cheers then i can start begging to her lol

Last edited:
I hope someone can answer these:

I have got the lead today and have fitted it. There is a female red plug which i plug in the black plug that goes to the sub in and off the red plug are 2 rca's and a blue and white wire. What is the blue and white for?

Also i have a male red plug in the cars standard wiring with just one wire going into it which is a switched 12v live.

Finally what voltage is the ariel feed supposed to be as i have a brown wire on its own on the cars standard wiring that is just over 1V is this for the ariel?

Thanks, Ant :arco:

I'm guessing the blue/white wire is the switched live feed to turn your amp on with the HU.

Cheers,

Yes it is, thanks.
1 Down 2 to go,

Just the erroneous red plug with 1 wire, and is the 1v brown wire for the ariel?

Ant.

No the aerial needs the 12v as per the amp switch on.
The big red connector with one wire is purely illumination, so your HU display dims with the dash when you have the headlights on, which is probably not supported by the Sony, so just ignore it.

Excellent so bung the ariel in with the amp and ignore the red. What is this 1V brown wire all about?

If the brown wire is on it's own with a spade terminal on the end then it's an earth direct to the chassis of the HU, shouldn't be any voltage on it. Audi mess around with wiring colours but they are pretty consistent with brown for earth.

Yes it is on its own with a brown female part of a spade connector on it but it has 1.6V there or thereabouts on it. Anyway i have taped it up and shoved it in a dark place.
Thanks

Al is working a ok, just need to save for Sub and enclosure.