1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Audi S3 Engine Problems

Trumpsz Feb 11, 2019

1. Trumpsz

Trumpsz New Member

Its just one thing after another atm with my new Audi driving home tonight just plodding along the A road at 50 while listening to music i could hear a funny noise gradually getting louder and louder now this is what my car sounds like ( ive uploaded a youtube video) looks like i will be calling audi in the morning

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

3. AlS3BE

AlS3BE Well-Known Member

Oh dear. Hope that isn’t the sound of the bottom end knocking. Difficult to tell. Might just be a belt loose, definitely something that rotates with the engine.
    Have you checked the oil?

4. Trumpsz

Trumpsz New Member

yeah im gonna go have a look in the engine bay see what i can find and check the oils while im there the car did seem very hot around the front grill from what i remember

5. Davey-c

Davey-c New Member

Possible water pump failure?

6. Svenedin

Svenedin Well-Known Member Team Navarra Audi S3 quattro S tronic

That noise is familiar to me. Are you sure it’s engine? Could be clutch/gearbox

7. AlS3BE

AlS3BE Well-Known Member

These engine do get pretty hot. Notice that on the oil temps. It’s always 100+ degrees even on my slow commute to work but that’s by design to keep emission down I think.
    How old is the car?

8. Trumpsz

Trumpsz New Member

2016 s3 9500 miles

9. Svenedin

Auto or manual?

10. Trumpsz

Trumpsz New Member

auto

11. Svenedin

Definitely get Audi to look at it. Personally I wouldn’t drive it with that racket without knowing exactly what it is. Could do far more damage.

12. Avatar

13. Trumpsz

Trumpsz New Member

yeah i wont be driving it anywhere like ill keep the thread updated when i get some further news

14. Daz4311

Daz4311 Well-Known Member

Doesn't sound good...i wouldnt be running that...or even starting it again....

15. Trumpsz

Trumpsz New Member

yeah it doesn't sound great i dont think im gonna start it up again try and prevent any further damage hopefully it isn't internals or anything major ive only had the car just over a week !

16. Trumpsz

Trumpsz New Member

just a little update had an aa tech come out and look at the car he says the noise is coming from the top end of the engine and not much he can do so the vehicle is being recovered back to the audi dealership for the fault to be investigated

17. Jcbmally

Jcbmally Started with nothing & still have most of it left. Team Daytona Sportback Audi S3 quattro S tronic

Top end could be cam followers/lobes or even valves. Still under warranty so covered by Audi. Has it had any mods/remaps ??

18. Trumpsz

Trumpsz New Member

ive not done anything to the car myself so i believe the car is stock also just had a call from the audi service department who said they will update me later today or tomorrow morning on what the fault it

Jcbmally likes this.
  19. AlS3BE

AlS3BE Well-Known Member

If you have only had it a week you will be on good grounds to reject it and get your money back if it’s something’s major or in general not happy with it.

Jcbmally likes this.
  20. Daz4311

If it was me...and they need to replace or rebuild the engine...i would deffo reject the car

21. Adam14

Adam14 Well-Known Member Team Glacier Team V6 Audi S5 S tronic

I'm with Dazz there as well, if it's a serious issue I'd reject the car. No telling whether it'll crop up again or cause issues down the line.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

22. AlS3BE

AlS3BE Well-Known Member

Like others have said if it’s major just walk away.
    If they put in a full brand new engine then I would be more inclined to keep it.

23. Jcbmally

Jcbmally Started with nothing & still have most of it left. Team Daytona Sportback Audi S3 quattro S tronic

I had issues with my previous S3 (gearbox) but it hasn't put me off. They are generally a good car and are a good all rounder. Hope you get sorted soon fella.

24. Trumpsz

Trumpsz New Member

yeah it has crossed my mind at this point if i should just reject the car and walk away now as it could be a financial nightmare further down the road anyway ill keep the thread updated when i find out some more info on the fault and thanks everyone for the advice its reasons like this i am glad i joined the forum

25. BrummieLad

BrummieLad Member

That sounds like camshaft or timing is out on the engine. But I would say that’s definently cam shaft knocking. It shouldn’t go at 9500 miles, but you don’t know how it was looked after before you. Run low on oil? Wrong spec oil used?

26. Trumpsz

Trumpsz New Member

thats the thing the car has only had one owner as well which should be a bonus but as you said you just dont know how well it was looked after or how it was driven by the last owner

27. Damo S

Damo S Active Member

Reject the car. They MUST take it back within 30 days of sale if you request it. Consumer law

28. Trumpsz

Trumpsz New Member

Just a little update heard from someone today at the service department and he said that the car will most likely require a whole new engine but they will keep me informed strangely though they would not disclose what the the actual issue is

29. Khufu

Khufu Well-Known Member

it does sound fatal. hard to say from just sound clip but it does sound like hydraulic tappet/valve train or even valve seat has dropped out etc. I hope the situation is resolved quickly for you!

30. AlS3BE

AlS3BE Well-Known Member

If they are willing to put a whole new engine, top and bottom, in I would consider about keeping it.
    Also squeeze some goodwill like free servicing for 3 years out of them as well.
    Hope they put you in a nice courtesy car for your troubles.

Jcbmally likes this.
  31. Daz4311

I wouldnt wait...i would contact them and tell them dont bother..you are rejecting the car...trust me..i know what im talking about..reject car now..dont wait

32. Trumpsz

Trumpsz New Member

Yeah I hope it get resolved quick but I’m guessing a job like this will take weeks Especially at a main dealership is just in to mind at the moment to ether reject the car or take a new engine if that is what they offer hard decision

33. Avatar

34. Trumpsz

Trumpsz New Member

Currently In a 18 plate a6 avant s line which I was surprised to get

35. Khufu

Khufu Well-Known Member

It will take a while to do. If it was the spec of your dreams i may be patient but if you could buy the same car elsewhere for same money i would be temped to reject it.

36. Daz4311

Wont take them long to fix pal..they will want you back in the car asap..like i say...reject car buddy

37. Mark_86

Mark_86 Well-Known Member Team Daytona Audi S3 quattro Black Edition DSG

I'd reject it aswell, it'll never be the same having a engine fitted at the dealer vs the factory imo.

Daz4311 likes this.
  38. Daz4311

I can just imagine a new 10k engine fitted by a 18year old on friday...not good...extreme though but i imagine not far wrong

39. Trumpsz

Trumpsz New Member

If I was to reject the car we’re do you think I would stand in regards to the deposit I paid full refund,part refund or is it dealership discretion ?

40. Flying Scotsman

Flying Scotsman Well-Known Member Team Ara Blue Audi S3 saloon

If you are successful in rejection, you get your deposit back in full

41. Daz4311

Full refund..and im sure a ****** amazing deal on another car..

Mark_86 likes this.
  42. Mark_86

Mark_86 Well-Known Member Team Daytona Audi S3 quattro Black Edition DSG

As others have said, full refund and a deal on another model.

43. Adam14

Adam14 Well-Known Member Team Glacier Team V6 Audi S5 S tronic

You'd be entitled to a full refund, as per your rights. Plus they'd be keen to keep your trade so a good deal on another.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk