Audi S3 engine break in period

I_am_pilgrim

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Ordered my S3 at the weekend and I can’t wait for it to arrive! I know this has been posted before but I wanted to ask you all about the engine break in period.

The sales person assured me that the break in period was a thing of the past and it wasn’t necessary. However the stuff I’ve read online suggests it’s quite important :readit:

What did you guys do? I’m willing to follow the age old advice of ‘If in doubt, be a sheep’

Thanks

I ran mine in using the guide in the manual but I also heard the same from the sales guy about no need to. I decided to stick with the instructions on the manual instead.
Wishing you a lot of fun with your new S3.

Reactions: I_am_pilgrim
IIRC I avoided full throttle and high revs for the first 1000 miles and gradually built up using the full rev range over then next few hundred miles.
I'm hoping to keep mine for a number of years (I bought it with a 5 year warranty!) , so wanted to make sure the engine was not ragged from new, which can increase oil use.

After first 5,000 miles, I think I only needed a very small oil top up, prior to a 10k oil change.

Reactions: lledwoc and I_am_pilgrim
I ran mine in using the guide in the manual but I also heard the same from the sales guy about no need to. I decided to stick with the instructions on the manual instead.
Wishing you a lot of fun with your new S3.
Thanks! I appreciate the help

IIRC I avoided full throttle and high revs for the first 1000 miles and gradually built up using the full rev range over then next few hundred miles.
I'm hoping to keep mine for a number of years (I bought it with a 5 year warranty!) , so wanted to make sure the engine was not ragged from new, which can increase oil use.

After first 5,000 miles, I think I only needed a very small oil top up, prior to a 10k oil change.
That’s a big help, thanks. I definitely wanted it not to be true so that I could get stuck in from the get go but looks like it might be better to be patient

My dealer advised not to nanny it but don’t go near the redline for 800 ish miles I think and never push hard until oil has warmed up sufficiently any way.

I’m positive the car holds itself back also for so many miles.

My dealer advised not to nanny it but don’t go near the redline for 800 ish miles I think and never push hard until oil has warmed up sufficiently any way.

I’m positive the car holds itself back also for so many miles.

I’m convinced the car holds itself back I’ve noticed it started creeping up the rev range in the 500 Miles I’ve done from new.
I also inadvertently put in to manual mode by knocking the paddle and was trying to accelerate stuck in 2nd, but the rev counter seemed to be bouncing at about 5k not at the redline.
I’ve done some spirited driving but have been mindful not to over do it, it’s hard to hold back though. Especially as everyone seems to want to race me now, unlike my A4

Reactions: TYb
59f6024228fa61859a98aeb0e2f14b18.jpg

From the Q5 manual, seems like common sense. Last sentence suggests that the car will cap max revs for the first 600-1000 miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My running in recipe:
  • #1 all time rule: Warm engine (#2 would be no labouring).
  • 0-50km (0-30mi): hard throttle from 2.000rpm up to 4-5.000rpm, let off the gas and let the engine brake on it's own down to 2.000rpm. You can do this in 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear. You may need to be in the countryside to do this properly. This will give a nice seal to the piston rings which running in is all about.
  • 50-500km (30-300mi): Vary speed and run it through the gears. Avoid longer highway runs.
  • 500km (300mi)-∞: Run it like an S3 should be run!
  • 1000-2000km (600-1200mi): Change the oil and oil filter (This can be skipped, but overall oil change intervals should of course be followed).
Don't overcomplicate this. The tolerances of engines today are so good that it really can't go wrong - how to break in your engine properly is like asking what beer is best (However the only correct answer to this would be "a Carlsberg").

Taken from this thread: http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/running-in-help.342247/

Reactions: Flying Scotsman and I_am_pilgrim
Think sticking to certain revs is a thing of the past now a days.

I ran mine in just driving normally, but avoiding going anywhere near the red line for the first 500-600 miles or so.

No one can tell the difference between a car driven normally, and one driven to the exact handbook advise. It's impossible to tell.

Just be sensible, and don't thrash it.

Reactions: I_am_pilgrim and mxnrg
FYI the snippet from the manual I posted earlier in the thread is identical to what is in the A3/S3 manual.

I’d like to think that the RS3 manual says “As long as the car is warm, we’ve already run it in so don’t hold back” ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Think sticking to certain revs is a thing of the past now a days.

I ran mine in just driving normally, but avoiding going anywhere near the red line for the first 500-600 miles or so.

No one can tell the difference between a car driven normally, and one driven to the exact handbook advise. It's impossible to tell.

Just be sensible, and don't thrash it.
Really useful- thanks mate!

My running in recipe:
  • 0-50km (0-30mi): hard throttle from 2.000rpm up to 4-5.000rpm, let off the gas and let the engine brake on it's own down to 2.000rpm. You can do this in 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear. You may need to be in the countryside to do this properly. This will give a nice seal to the piston rings which running in is all about.
  • 50-500km (30-300mi): Vary speed and run it through the gears. Avoid longer highway runs.
  • 1000-2000km (600-1200mi): Change the oil and oil filter (This can be skipped, but overall oil change intervals should of course be followed).
Don't overcomplicate this. The tolerances of engines today are so good that it really can't go wrong - how to break in your engine properly is like asking what beer is best (However the only correct answer to this would be "a Carlsberg").

Taken from this thread: http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/running-in-help.342247/
Sounds great- thanks a lot for this!

My running in recipe:

Good advice....warm engine means oil temperature above 90 Celsius. That is really important when on hard throttle and high revs to seat the piston rings and any other time after that initial flourish on a virgin engine when you pick up your new car. You may be surprised how far you have to go to reach that temperature.

Reactions: davc and Lehn
I took it easy for the first 30 miles or so then drove it like i stole it taking it easy on the brakes till bedded in
Made 324 bhp and hardly uses any oil :thumbs up:

I drove mine hard from day one once at proper (90+ degrees C) and it uses no oil whatsoever between services.

Reactions: Tom.H
Just don’t drive it like you stole it. I ran mine in as prescribed in the owners manual and mine hasn’t used a drop of oil in 5k miles.

I followed the manual on my 2011 S3, I’ve kept a full diary of every drop of oil that goes in it since then. Mine averages a top up of around 0.2L of oil every 700 miles. I have read before about a different way, mentioned above, which aids seating the piston rings better than the manual states. However I never had the guts to try it.
I don’t think it helps that Audi now recommend 0W 30 oil. I feel older cars need slightly thicker oil, not thinner at low temps. Helps with the rattles!

My S3 is coming up for a year old on the 1st September and I have done just over 7k miles and the dip stick is showing I have used just under a quarter of the way down. So that’s about 250ml of oil, that’s if it was full when I collected it, and yes I used the running in method as prescribed in the manual. My Mk3 TT used about 500ml of oil every 2k.