Audi S3 Dash lights issue

dragonstyle

Reaction score
Hi guys

I just purchased my s3 (2001 version) on sunday and i had a question...

when im in my car my dash lights stay on even if my headlights are off, is this supposed to happen? :wtf:

maybe this is a feature that is only on the s3 ?

mine does too im sure its is controlled by a light sensor on the dash near the screen (could be wrong) as only seems to be when its fairly dark outside or could just be that i dont notice it in the day but my old s4 also did it

i only noticed it today - ill have to look it up if there is a light sensor

It's all in the coding on the dashpod. The S3 by default has the needles and dials illuminated all the time. The pod can be reprogrammed so that neither are on all the time and only come on when you turn the lights on, or as I currently have it programmed where the needles are on all the time and the dials are illuminated once you turn the lights on.

The coding can be changed with VAGCOM

It's all in the coding on the dashpod. The S3 by default has the needles and dials illuminated all the time. The pod can be reprogrammed so that neither are on all the time and only come on when you turn the lights on, or as I currently have it programmed where the needles are on all the time and the dials are illuminated once you turn the lights on.

The coding can be changed with VAGCOM

Jon

Care to share the vagcom coding for your setup? :thumbsup:

realy?? my grandad just use to say 'If you dont stop playin next to the green house il cut ur legs off'

which doesnt realy hold much relevance to the topic I know..:shutup2:

I can't check the coding on my dash pod at the moment as I don't have VAGCOM installed. A search on the net revealed the following:

Select 17 (Instrument Cluster)Adaptation -> Function 10
-> Channel 19 (Misc)
xxxx?: Remote Clock
0 - Remote Clock not active
1 - Remote Clock active
xxx?x: Ambient Temperature
0 - no Display, Illumination inactive
1 - Display and Illumination active
xx?xx: Driver Information System (DIS)
0 - DIS 1
1 - Highline without DIS
2 - DIS 2
x?xxx: Board Computer
0 - only Level 2 (long time memory)
1 - Level 1 and 2
?xxxx: Illumination Option
0 - Needle and Scale only active at 'Light on"
1 - Needle already active at 'Ignition on'
2 - Scale already active at 'Ignition on'
3 - Scale (2. Map) and Needle at "ignition on" active

I actually got audi to recode mine when they replaced the pod under warranty. I know that you can't recode the A3 as I tried that when I had it.

Once I get VAGCOM installed i'll check my coding.

Top Man Westle, in your opinion does it look better with just the needles iluminated.

Remote clock I cannot help you with pal but I will look into !

Yeah it looks sweet with just the needles on, a subtle touch. I tried to change my DIS type to DIS 2 from the list above but it errored so I set it back. The instructions above are spot on the money too.