Audi S3 8Y ceiling switch - what does it do?

jsb197

Reaction score
Sorry for being thick but I can't seem to find a guide in the manual for the ceiling switches on my S3 8Y. Several are obvious what they do e.g. interior lights etc but I don't know what the one with the car and a single door open (see image below) does? It was switched off by default but as you can see in the photo I have switched it on. Any ideas what it is now doing?

Attachments

• IMG_1432.jpeg
    IMG_1432.jpeg
    625.2 KB · Views: 238
It is for ‘courtesy lighting’, so when it is switched on, all interior lights come on (when it’s dark) when you open a door to leave the car. The led strips and surface lifting even turn to an off white

• Love
Reactions: jsb197
According to the manual, that switch enables or disabled the interior courtesy lights. There is a thought, on another recent thread, that it may also affect the exterior courtesy lights too (not confirmed).

(It does take some finding in the manual as it’s not in the first chapter with the rest of the controls; instead, IIRC, it’s in the section about interior lighting..)

• Love
Reactions: jsb197
According to the manual, that switch enables or disabled the interior courtesy lights. There is a thought, on another recent thread, that it may also affect the exterior courtesy lights too (not confirmed).

(It does take some finding in the manual as it’s not in the first chapter with the rest of the controls; instead, IIRC, it’s in the section about interior lighting..)
ahh you just reminded me, need to check if it affects the external coming home / leaving home when dark... I'm thinking it does..but tbc

Just checked the switch also toggled the external lights (leaving/coming home headlights). Sport trim though. Likewise on Sport trim cannot toggle individual reading light s

Reactions: AdamInKent
Just checked the switch also toggled the external lights (leaving/coming home headlights). Sport trim though. Likewise on Sport trim cannot toggle individual reading light s
Did you try touching the reading lights as they are touch on/off plus dimming there is no button other than the one that turns them all on

Did you try touching the reading lights as they are touch on/off plus dimming there is no button other than the one that turns them all on
Mine is old school like this though, not the clear glass/plastic (premium) look LEDs on higher trims? Yes I did press the light itself, confident it's not a switch, or I need to press a lot harder? Or i need to press those grey round buttons? What are those for? Even the front passenger mirror doesn't havea a light :(.

Likewise I don't think I even have footwell lights. At least it was very dark when I looked there last night (or they go off once door is closed/car moving?).

51e02094e050474e83d9c459a19c64a9

Mine is old school like this though, not the clear glass/plastic (premium) look LEDs on higher trims? Yes I did press the light itself, confident it's not a switch, or I need to press a lot harder? Or i need to press those grey round buttons? What are those for? Even the front passenger mirror doesn't havea a light :(.

Likewise I don't think I even have footwell lights. At least it was very dark when I looked there last night (or they go off once door is closed/car moving?).

View attachment 240919
The round buttons are the mics for the phone I think - Not touch sensitive you're quite right - The higher trims are LED's - No light on the passenger side vanity mirror is really poor these days

The round buttons are the mics for the phone I think - Not touch sensitive you're quite right - The higher trims are LED's - No light on the passenger side vanity mirror is really poor these days
Yea tell me about it, even my previous Seat Ibiza (car category lower) has individual switches for driver/passenger reading lights. Also noticed that while the dashboard is soft touch, the front passenger doors are hard touch plastic as are the rear doors, thought reviews noted that fronts had soft touch, but rears didn't, maybe trim dependent. At least we get padded front armrest. Some markets it's just an open storage area and with no rear vents! Oh and don't get me started on the rear air vents on the 8Y!

Not sure what went wrong, but yesterday, the exterior lights did not turn on when I unlocked the car (but interior lights did). When I reached my destination, I pressed the ceiling button to turn off the interior lights (when unlocked/door open) and pressed again to turn on, and exterior lights were back. Hmm..maybe another gremlin!