Help Please Audi S3 8V vs S4 B8.5

RS4K

Reaction score
Hi All,

Thanks in advance for any help.

I recently sold my S3 8P after 3 years and have been wanting a S3 8V Pre facelift to replace it. After a conversation with a friend I am now in two minds on what is better. I am hoping there are some S4 owners that might have been in the same boat as me that can help me decide.

I am looking at a 2013-2015 Audi S3 8V Sportback

Vs

Audi S4 B8.5 2012-2015 Saloon

Thanks,

K

I was in a similar position a few months ago but was looking at the S3 8v saloon.

I went for a S4 b8.5 in the end as I needed the extra room it offers. However, if space isn't a factor then the optional extras you can get on the S4 is greater than the S3 for the same priced vehicle when I was searching in the summer. E.g. heated electric seats, radar cruise control etc.

Running costs would be less on the S3 though due to the smaller capacity engine (fuel, servicing etc)

Hope this helps

Sent from my MI 8 using Tapatalk

Fortunately i have a Bmw X5 7 seater so space and family use is covered. This would be purely for my enjoyment on my 2mile drive to work lol.

I am not concerned with running costs or maintenance as i have an Audi technician in the family who does all my work for free.

Without angering all S5 owners lol i will fearfully say i don't like the look of S5's especially the sportback.

I am more about the sound and drive of the s3 vs the s4 if anyone has driven both. I like the S3 noise with an exhaust and the dsg fart but i haven't driven an s4 so not entirely sure what it is like. I would be remapping both if i got one and would do a reaonator delete straight away whilst i source an exhaust down the line.

Reactions: mister.c.
Also i considered a RS4 B7 saloon but decided against as i wanted something with a little bit of new tech in it

Based on your comments I'd advise you to get an S3.

How much fun can you have on a two-mile drive to work? The engine oil wont even get up to temperature.

Reactions: DieselJake
How much fun can you have on a two-mile drive to work? The engine oil wont even get up to temperature.
Yeah agreed, i come home for lunch so get a little bit of driving but overall i do very few miles in general but i do drive on weekends when i am running errands or out with friends etc.

I am after a nice sound, power and speed. I have heard a 350bhp remapped s3 is as fast or faster than a 400bhp remapped s4, can anyone verify this?

This sounds like a brilliant use case for an electric car, how much are tesla model 3s?

lol definitely not an electric car for me, Model 3 i think just recently had first delivery in uk if i am not mistaken. Around £30k upward i think.

I am after a nice sound, power and speed. I have heard a 350bhp remapped s3 is as fast or faster than a 400bhp remapped s4, can anyone verify this?

Both auto:

S4 at 400bhp would be like 235bhp/ton
S3 at 350bhp would be like 240bhp/ton

But really an S4 should get closer to 420bhp from a remap making it almost 250bhp/ton and it will also have 40ft/lb more torque.
The S3 will be more fun to drive and cheaper to run.
S3 maps are like £500 whereas S4 maps are around £700.

thanks for all advice, i think I will stick to an S3 as i have no need for a saloon i guess it makes sense. I actually test drove one today with some good options so hopefully thursday i might be able to buy it. :)

So put deposit down and picking up a new S3 next week sometime as it needs a few bits done to get prepped. Hope it lives up to my expectations :)

Reactions: RS5 JON