Audi s3 8v misfiring and coolant

S3LVX

Reaction score
Hi all,

Had My Audi S3 8V saloon since mid June and done 4,000 miles. Love the car a great allrounder and happy with my purchase.

Last Thursday however, on a trip to Brighton I was at the traffic lights and the coolant light was flashing. Pulled over and the coolant had dipped well below minimum. Called out Audi assistance, they had a look for any leaks, checked the pressure and all seemed ok and was topped up. Potentially could have been low when i received the car.

The day after sitting in traffic i felt the car shake for 10seconds looked at the Dash and the Emissions light flashed 3 times. Again rang up Audi assistance who couldn't diagnose the problem.

I took the car back to Bexley Audi that Friday and is still there. They rang me today to tell me tomorrow they will be changing the spark plugs and running tests again. The car is only 3 months old so this is a bit annoying.

I just wanted to know is there any other s3 owners who have experienced this or ideas what could be up.

Thanks all

Reactions: n3ldv
I think it's highly unlikely that you would be given a car with low coolant. It doesn't just disappear. I hope they get to the bottom of it all for you.

I think it's highly unlikely that you would be given a car with low coolant. It doesn't just disappear. I hope they get to the bottom of it all for you.

Cheers I hope so. For now all they have done is suggested spark plugs and said nothing about the coolant

They took the car in asap with a bit of a fuss. I take it they are not your favourite dealership either

My S3 is on order but not from them, after finding a few bad reviews here and a few very overpriced cars there, it just put me off

http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/audi-bexley-damaged-my-car-now-trying-to-get-out-of-it.112559/
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/service-issues-beware-bexley-audi.59644/
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/bad-experiance-with-bexley-dealership-mfsw-part-help.96146/

Wow not great. My s3 arrived with scratches on the boot-lid and had to go back to the bodyshop in the first week.
Had an issue with my 8p S3 after servicing from there aswell.
I think I'll be taking my business elsewhere next time!!

Wow not great. My s3 arrived with scratches on the boot-lid and had to go back to the bodyshop in the first week.
Had an issue with my 8p S3 after servicing from there aswell.
I think I'll be taking my business elsewhere next time!!

I live 3 minutes away from them, how inconvenient is that?
I'll have to take my Audi to Maidstone which is about a 30 minute drive away for a service lol

Reactions: S3LVX
I have had the coolant light come on before but was sat in traffic for like an hour not moving in 27 degree heat so the engine got really hot to the point the coolant pipes had expanded so much with heat the coolant dipped below the min level.

Havnt had a problem since and once the car cooled the level was back to where I should be. These engines run very hot though in general.

If they run hot it could be worthwhile getting some nice gold heat tape it's not cheap but should cool them down abit. Worked wonders in my old engine bay when everything ran hot

I have had the coolant light come on before but was sat in traffic for like an hour not moving in 27 degree heat so the engine got really hot to the point the coolant pipes had expanded so much with heat the coolant dipped below the min level.

Havnt had a problem since and once the car cooled the level was back to where I should be. These engines run very hot though in general.

thanks for the response. I had been driving around town in Brighton with no traffic, was a bit weird. I think i'll monitor it weekly when i get the car back. The audi assistance guy said to me he suspected some kind of air lock, I had no clue but ill just keep an eye out

If they run hot it could be worthwhile getting some nice gold heat tape it's not cheap but should cool them down abit. Worked wonders in my old engine bay when everything ran hot

Thanks. Thats a good shout. Its just that the car is so new i feel that i shouldn't have to fork out for this.

You shouldn't have to do anything to the car.

It runs fine under middle east ambient temperatures, so temperate UK climate is not a problem for this car.

Same problem being reported from MK7R owners, given its the same engine that's not unexpected.

Could it be head gasket? My previous TTS suddenly showed low coolant. Then, when I was looking for a problem I noticed more steam out of one of the exhaust pipes. Had occasional misfire too.

Oh I agree you shouldn't have to do anything but I like to tinker and if I can reduce heat then I do

It's something i'll definitely look into further down the line

Would they reject it? I wouldn't have thought they could but I suppose they would class it as a modification

Would they reject it? I wouldn't have thought they could but I suppose they would class it as a modification

Yep it's a mod & I certainly wouldn't run that risk...... Besides modern engines prefer to run hotter (efficiency) the problem being reported here does not seem to be related to temp but component failure causing the loss of coolant.

Just a quick update. Got a call from Audi saying that they have changed spark plugs and that they can't find what has causing the loss of coolant.
I'm picking the car tomorrow so i am just going to monitor the coolant level myself and see if these spark plugs solve the misfiring issue.
The car was in Friday and in all that time only spark plugs have been changed. Not that impressed at all with Bexley Audi.

Just a quick update. Got a call from Audi saying that they have changed spark plugs and that they can't find what has causing the loss of coolant.
I'm picking the car tomorrow so i am just going to monitor the coolant level myself and see if these spark plugs solve the misfiring issue.
The car was in Friday and in all that time only spark plugs have been changed. Not that impressed at all with Bexley Audi.
Better check your car thoroughly for any dents, scratches, or any abnormalities in the mileage, also better hope they didn't try valeting your car! Swirls swirls swirls!

Better check your car thoroughly for any dents, scratches, or any abnormalities in the mileage, also better hope they didn't try valeting your car! Swirls swirls swirls!
:(:3sadwalk: Any more issues I think I will head over to Dulwich Audi

Just an update. Just collected the car, they have topped up coolant to way over the maximum mar yet can't find the loss having done an overnight pressure check and other checks. Sparks plugs have been changed so will monitor over the next few days and see.
Told them not to wash the car did not want to anymore swirls :detective2:

Just an update all seems to be ok and coolant levels staying level. will keep monitoring

Thanks for the update.

Mine's similar, drank around 600ml, topped up, and hasn't gone down since.

Same mine, after 1K miles, still in the max.

I have no idea.

They have no idea.

I suspect it's a tiny head gasket leak ...

Funnily enough I had my coolant warning light come on last week too, when I got home and checked, the container was completely empty! It had been full only a few months prior so it went some where! However when it went to Audi they could find no issues and even had the car over two days to check the pressure over night

I had a brief mis-fire on startup this morning, so I booked in to the dealer for coolant loss.

The service manager said that they had seen a few coolant loss cases now, but no action or fix yet.

Also booked in for a couple of other un-related faults (Pre-Sense, ACC)