Audi S3 8V Exhaust Flap Valve not working?

Billy-786

Reaction score
Hi All,

So I have purchased a 2015 Audi S3 DSG and trying to have a play to get some more sound out of it.

From my understanding the exhaust flaps should open in Dynamic Mode on Idle? however When I try mine they don't seem to be open???

When the car is over 3000rpm it definitely has a louder sound but just don't know if my flaps are actually working or not!

Does anyone have some advice on this?

I do want to do the exhaust valve mod but don't really want to code or pull the plugs unless the flaps are 100% open on idle..... wish I could just remove the flaps.

From my understanding, if you want to disable the valves you need to start the car, cycle through Drive Select all the way back to Dynamic (even if already on there), make sure that the valves are open and then switch the car off and disable via VCDS / blanking plugs etc

I had a mechanic friend do mine via VCDS, it's by far the tidiest/cheapest solution.

Reactions: N.J.H
Hmmm... so I think my exhaust valves aren't opening!

I will have to try cycle through again but I just don't feel any back pressure on the outer exhausts.

If you can, get someone else to sit in the car and cycle through, apparently you can hear the valves opening. You could also try pushing a wooden pole (or similar) in there to confirm it's open.

Yes you can hear the valves opening from the outside, and feel the difference between the exhaust tips (best on a cold start). But yes they should all be open in dynamic mode when idle.

How did you get on with this? I recently bought a PFL s3 8v and want to lock the flaps open but cannot seem to get them in the open position to do it. I have tried numerous procedures listed here and elsewhere but they never seem to remain open on idle. No pressure from outside tips, or heat on the pipes back to the muffler. They are working as tips have soot etc and i can hear the difference if i put my boot in it. I just cant seem to get them open at idle to code off. Cheers.

Would anyone know how to reverse this? I managed to get flaps opened but would like to know how to close them again to revert back to stock. I have OBD11 but I am not convinced it has worked. Is there a 'procedure'?

Hey Everyone,
I have the same problem as above my valves on a Remus cat back are constantly open and would like to know if there is an easy way to reverse this so that work as standard?
Worth noting to that they are still plugged in, so no blanking plugs.

They have probably been coded open correctly using VCDS with the looms still plugged in. Using VCDS go to Module 01 (engine), Coding, Long Coding Helper, Byte 9 and see if Bit 2 has a tick & the exhaust flaps will open/close (standard) when required. If there is no tick like in my picture below they have been either coded open or closed permanently. Here's a video I found they shows you how to code them open here , obviously it's the opposite to have them work as intended (standard) opening/closing when required.

20200901_141249Small.jpg

Reactions: HookedPhoto
They have probably been coded open correctly using VCDS with the looms still plugged in. Using VCDS go to Module 01 (engine), Coding, Long Coding Helper, Byte 9 and see if Bit 2 has a tick & the exhaust flaps will open/close (standard) when required. If there is no tick like in my picture below they have been either coded open or closed permanently. Here's a video I found they shows you how to code them open here , obviously it's the opposite to have them work as intended (standard) opening/closing when required.

20200901_141249Small.jpg
Thank you very much Harvey. I'll have to find someone with VCDS but seems pretty simple