Audi S3 8P3 with the usual mods...

Sorry couldn't edit my previous post.
But would like to know if you managed to fit your SPULEN runner flap delete guile

hi mate, managed to take a couple of photos last time i was back of the breather pipe. not that easy to see but i hope it helps...

also fitted the runner flap delete, not the best fitting piece of kit but good enough to serve its purpose i reckon...

Reactions: Mario8P and S3Alex
Thanks for the pics bro!

Did you go for the Spulen RFD?
How does for car start in the morning?

Thanks for the pics bro!

Did you go for the Spulen RFD?
How does for car start in the morning?

no worries mate, yes it was the spulen rf. not the best quality in terms of fitting but not bad for the price...

cold start is fine, hardly notice it. probably because the smf clutch and solid engine mounts help mask it...

the guy writing my tune is looking at mapping out any possible cold start issues...

Reactions: Mario8P
no worries mate, yes it was the spulen rf. not the best quality in terms of fitting but not bad for the price...

cold start is fine, hardly notice it. probably because the smf clutch and solid engine mounts help mask it...

the guy writing my tune is looking at mapping out any possible cold start issues...

APR have a RFD specific map,whereas all the others don't,which is perhaps not surprising as they came out with the kit first of all.

Anyway,what I found was the car started fine on it's old Revo maps,but would not pull much beyond 3000rpm or under moderate load,until it was at 85c or above.

I've yet to drive it on its new brain,but Storm have sorted all the cold running issues out along with Syvecs.

not had much time lately to work on the s3 unfortunately. i recently had a few minutes spare and upgraded the phone cradle as i was getting ****** off with the non genuine apple cables only working for a short time...

the original set up was for an iphone 3, how long ago does it feel that they were in use. i added and adapter which worked for a while...

i purchased this little lot with the help of a contact at audi, cheers mate...

all installed and a much more oem set up for my iPhone 6...

i've been having a bit of bad luck lately regarding ordering car parts. they either turn up broken, the wrong part arrives or they don't arrive at all. it has taken some of the enjoyment away but hoping my luck will change soon enough. i got my wm kit out that i bought 6 months ago to start getting the install ready...

i unwrapped the controller and found this...

not cool and i was a bit worried that i wouldn't get any after care as it was 6 months ago when i received it. i took some more photos and emailed them off to the supplier...

they could clearly see that it wasn't an incident during installation as i sent the packaging photos too...

i received a message today saying that the supplier will replace the controller free of charge. lets hope this is the start of my good luck run as i'm hoping to get the install completed in the next few weeks...

Reactions: S3Alex
That looks like someone's stood on it.

Good result with the supplier.

That looks like someone's stood on it.

Good result with the supplier.

thanks mate, yeah its a bit of a strange one. i think it was broken before it was packed in the box as there was no obvious signs of damage to packaging otherwise i would have inspected earlier...

it was packed in the corner though which is probably the worst place and would take most of the impact if the box is thrown around or dropped. either way i'm happy with the result and if that's the worst that happens during the install i'll be happy...

any tips for the set up of the aem unit would be appreciated once i've installed it...

Mine is set to start at 0.5bar and top out at maximum boost.
Then it runs progressively over that range.

i managed to get a bit more done on the car and get some parts fitted that i've had laying around for ages. first up was the carbon canister cover, my last bit of forge bling for the engine bay...

it took me a while to work out how to remove the top hose fixing but managed to do it without braking anything which was a good result. it looks really weird inside, i wonder if they ever need emptying / changing...

before with the ugly plastic housing...

and after with the new black powder coating which matches the catch can. i'm also going to replace that horrid big hose clip when i get chance...

and a very minor update, i swapped my bose microphone. this is where its kept for anyone planning to do the same...

and the difference between the two. if you are planning to change it, don't bother. my bose still does it's merry little volume dance...

i gave the new lights a buff up before i fitted them...

can you spot the difference...

really hard to tell when they are installed also. i do actually prefer the darker rear section though as i think it blends with the black on the car better...

then i did something i originally said i would't do...

i was going to keep the car practical but as i practically never use the rear wash wipe it was removed. i replaced it with a gecleant bit of kit which have to say was very good quality...

i then plugged the end with a hose fitting and taped up the connector so it didn't rattle or let any moisture in to the pins in case the wiper ever goes back on...

a bit of scene tape to protect from any silicone over lay...

before...

after...

looks pretty tidy i think, an extra 10mm wide track on the back wheels and some camber to match the front and i'll be happy with how the back of the car sits...

and a shot i found from ages ago while having some snow foam fun...

not too many photos with this update but probably the most important one. i finally got my car logged after the new tune had been installed. i few tweeks later i was told the car was flowing 280 g/s and it feels every bit as strong as that...

i'm more concerned with how it drives than the power figures and it really feels like the animal i was hoping for. i always lacked any feeling of excitement when driving the s3 but now i can quite easily scare myself which i think everyone needs to able to do when driving a performance car. thanks Ben, top job and i'm really happy with the end result...

although i said i'm not interested in figures my curiosity did get the better of me. a quick google and the rule of thumb appears to be gs / 0.8 which in my case is equal to 350bhp at the wheels. another google search and i found a converter to change the at wheels power to at crank power. the final result was 419bhp as shown below. it does sound rather inflated and of course i can't verify the figure but i'm going to stick with it as i think it's rather fitting that the new turbo is tte420...

no more performance upgrades planned for the near future, i'm just going to drive and enjoy. i have a few other bits to install on the car and when i get more time i will embark on getting the wmi kit installed and set up with a revised tune...

first page now updated with the latest upgrades...

Reactions: grchmason, Mario8P and Compkiler
Great results.

Have fun and enjoy the car.

Great results.

Have fun and enjoy the car.

Great results mate!
loving every bit of it

thanks chaps, i have to admit i was more than surprised when the esp lit up during a straight line run on a bone dry road. i think its safe to say power has increased a bit...

Last edited:
Reactions: Mario8P and S3Alex
thought i'd make a note of my wiring plans for the front parking camera while i'm stuck at work...

a little nice job for when i'm back home next. and for those thinking why do you really need a front/rear parking camera on such a small car, normally i would agree but it really helps with the tight parallel parking on my street. also i'm a bit ocd with not wanting to kerb the alloys and the camera really helps with the guide lines...

Can you stop lol when you stop its time to move on to the next project I think!
Seriously your work and tips will be well used by other people including myself it really has all been well explained even giving part numbers lots of photos it's much appreciated

Reactions: grchmason
not had much time lately to work on the s3 unfortunately. i recently had a few minutes spare and upgraded the phone cradle as i was getting ****** off with the non genuine apple cables only working for a short time...

the original set up was for an iphone 3, how long ago does it feel that they were in use. i added and adapter which worked for a while...

i purchased this little lot with the help of a contact at audi, cheers mate...

all installed and a much more oem set up for my iPhone 6...

Did you already have power cables running into your arm rest or did you modify this

did a couple more minor upgrades to the car recently. looking forward to getting some time off soon to finish installing all the bits i have collected over the last few weeks. first up was a forge big knob i thought it might smooth out the quick shift...

its a quality piece of kit. not necessarily my first choice style wise but i struggled to get a bfi gear knob here in oz. this is to keep my mits warm during the winter...

pretty easy to install and i forgot to take a before photo so its straight to the after shot...

and a bit closer up, i particularly like the engraved gear gate and s3 logo if you can see it...

next up was this bit of kit so i can listen to my iPhone without taking it out of my pocket...

not the perfect solution as you can only play 5 playlists or every song on your iPhone, it acts like a 6 disc cd changer...

finally i fitted a genuine audi cargo net to hold my battery booster / air compressor, car bra, umbrella and a couple of other bits...

after the last track session it was very apparent that the s3 was lacking in the handling department so i decided to upgrade the suspension. as it is a daily driver i didn't want anything too harsh, i read good things about the vwr gear so i picked up a set of street sport coilovers...

desperately trying to get them installed prior to next track session. so far i installed the rears over a couple of evenings this week. they took longer than i thought they would to install for some reason. i didn't have much room though so that probably didn't help...

rears are now fully installed and going to try and do the fronts over a couple of nights next week. fingers crossed...

by this point i was saying to myself, never again. then i realised i still had another side to do...

a quick reminder why cheap tools are no good, not for 200nm anyway...

and for future reference, i think i will need to go up to 22cm though once it's settled...

a big thanks to Ale for these shots...

taken at the last track session...

right, all done and ready for an alignment at 8.00am saturday morning...

also installed the vwr adjustable drop links but i'll wait for the full suspension alignment to get these set up. i still have a front sway and subframe bushes to install before i take it to get it fully dialled in...

and another measurement for future reference. i hope i'm not too low for saturdays track session, i was rubbing a bit last time and this is roughly the same height but hoping its a bit firmer...

subframe mount bushes and front sway installed, never again...

Reactions: grchmason and s3_trev
AWESOME update!! And love at the end of every job ' Never Again' lol lol!!

Looking forward to your update on the Shocks as staying comfy is a must for me......... great work my friend :)

I remember having my subframe out, me and my brother done it (well more him as hes the mechanic with me helping) and it wasnt that pleasant from memory.

Great thread.

I envy you and your nice warm climate for keeping the car nice and clean!

thanks chaps, not really had much of chance to give it a work out yet but just about to book for time attack next weekend...

finally got around to sorting out my software for the car so its nice and handy each time i need it. just installed the new tune from Ben so hoping for good things on saturday, it also coded out my runner flap too which keeps my ocd happy...

the case is a bit bigger than i would have liked but at least it can hold my vcds cable, spectune controller and laptop charger...

Reactions: shadow1993 and S3Alex
thanks chaps, not really had much of chance to give it a work out yet but just about to book for time attack next weekend...

finally got around to sorting out my software for the car so its nice and handy each time i need it. just installed the new tune from Ben so hoping for good things on saturday, it also coded out my runner flap too which keeps my ocd happy...

the case is a bit bigger than i would have liked but at least it can hold my vcds cable, spectune controller and laptop charger...

Great update, love this tuning stuff

a bit more progress over the weekend, picked up some new front pads and race fluid from the helpful chaps at brakes direct. i can highly recommend there service...

also got around to installing my grooved rear discs, before...

i'm not actually sure if they will increase performance and if i'm honest i mainly installed them to better match the appearance of the front discs...

also installed the rear braided lines while i was at it...

i still think it looks good without any wheels on...

and finally a shot of the new drinking mittens...

Reactions: Mario8P and grchmason
i got the car on the dyno at the weekend so Ben could work his magic. it wasn't really an exercise in chasing numbers but based on the turbo specs we suggested a target figure of 220 killer wasps at the wheels...

and guess what the final result was...

the main thing is i'm really happy with the way it drives; plenty of power and nice and smooth as you can see by the curve...

as an added bonus i think i'm close to 400hp at the fly if my calcs are right; based on a 35% drive train loss. it might be possible to eek a bit more out of it and see how close i can get to the maximum 420hp that turbo is supposedly capable of. i'm going to install the wmi kit when i get chance and see what the gains are...

updates aren't moving as fast these days but still progressing ahead none the less...

i met up with these bunch of reprobates recently for a spin around Morgan Park, awesome day. thanks chaps...

the previous evening was also entertaining with dinner at the pub...

a beer or two with ned kelly...

all in a very picturesque setting...

and a good nights sleep before the morning on the track, i even managed to pick up...