Audi S3 8P APR Turbo upgrade Plus

Phillip

Reaction score
Hi guys

Im chasing some feedback.
I have a Audi S3 8P APR stage 3 GTX2867R my motor is fully built and im looking at upgrading the turbo to a GTX2976R or GTX2971R any feedback on these?
Secondly ill use the Boulekos airintake manifold with 4 S3 1.8T (Thanks S3Alex) APR RFD will be used.
And remap running a standalone ecu ( Syvecs )

This way i can keep the APR manifold and downpipe and everything else.

Whats your thoughts on these Turbos?these 2 turbos are direct bolt on for me internally wastegated.

My big concern with the GTX2976R is the compressor is outflowing the exhaust side.

Turbine Housing off choice is 0.64

Thanks lads any feedback would be much appreciated.

Both of those will give you more airflow,but assuming you're looking for a lot of power,then a GTX30/35 would be more useful,especially to get the most from the Boulekos/Syvecs setup.

If you want good turbo advice,on a variety of different makes,then I'd advise giving Scott Hawkins at Owen Developments a call.
He can spec you a turbo,that will do what it's supposed to,and give you advice on A/r's and housings.

The other issue may be the physical size of the turbo,and the amount of space,so do bear that in mind as well.

S3Alex im chasing 600hp the the GTX2976R is rated 640hp my GTX2867R is rated 480hp allthough im above that on race fuel at 31psi thats why i thought it might be a good upgrade.
According to Nortech the v band manifold and GTX3076R does fit

Speak to Scott first....a lot of manufacturers are a bit optimistic on the maximum power side.
The 640bhp quoted will be the absolute ragged edge.

Will do mate

Put it another way,Owens rate the much bigger GTX3582 that I have at 700bhp,so it's difficult to see that a 2976R would be only 60bhp short.

Hey mate did you m spec you r turbo?and Zircotec coat it?

Full M-Spec with Tial stainless steel turbine casing.
I didn't go with Zircotek coating but used a heat jacket instead.

Also heat wrapped the manifold and downpipe.

Reactions: Matt268uk
Put it another way,Owens rate the much bigger GTX3582 that I have at 700bhp,so it's difficult to see that a 2976R would be only 60bhp short.
But also possible mate its like the GTX2867R with its 480hp rating mines pushed past the 500hp on VP 109.
Also the GTX3076R @661hp via etuners

But also possible mate its like the GTX2867R with its 480hp rating mines pushed past the 500hp on VP 109.
Also the GTX3076R @661hp via etuners

I agree that by using race spec fuel,and pushing the timing and boost to the max,that those figures are attainable,but this is where reliability starts to intrude.

As an example,on the current setup,my car produces 100bhp more,on significantly LESS boost than before,by virtue of the bigger turbo,and ECU.

Thanks mate DeckedS3 your running a APR stage 3 kit yeah?

Yeah, with LPFP. I like the GTX2867R to be honest, it's efficient for the amount of power it's got. The power delivery in town and on the twisties matches the gearing perfectly.

Reactions: S3Alex
Yeah, with LPFP. I like the GTX2867R to be honest, it's efficient for the amount of power it's got. The power delivery in town and on the twisties matches the gearing perfectly.
I agree its a great turbo but i believe the GTX2971R would suit our kit giving us the best off both worlds to a point that matched with another fuel upgrade ie injectors would be fantastic that GTX spools 200 rpm later and is capable off 560hp even 500hp on pump and 560hp on race fuel makes sense.

I agree its a great turbo but i believe the GTX2971R would suit our kit giving us the best off both worlds to a point that matched with another fuel upgrade ie injectors would be fantastic that GTX spools 200 rpm later and is capable off 560hp even 500hp on pump and 560hp on race fuel makes sense.

I do see what you're getting at here but the question you need to ask is what sort of power you want on a daily basis as race fuels are excessively expensive on a daily basis.

The trade off then is where the boost comes in with a bigger turbo as there is little sense in wringing the neck of a smaller turbo again on a daily basis.

I've been through a lot of these questions myself and settled on a different solution which will run those figures with plenty to spare and traded a degree of low down pick up for that.
Having said that it has less lag than the GTX3076 I had previously and is hugely better above 4000rpm in every respect.

What I can't tell you is how much of it is down to the tubular exhaust manifold,M-spec turbo or ECU.
Each plays a part but proportions are difficult to say.

Think about it carefully especially in the sense of flogging a turbo for figures.

If you don't want to change the exhaust manifold and to use an external wastegate then your proposal makes sense but it will limit the maximum to a degree.