Audi S3 8L - Door Open -> fuel pump prime

Ok, so did a bit more today.

Got to the fuel pump to check the pipes. Nothing seems split, but two of them were missing the metal clips / cable ties that hold them onto the pump (picture below). So I replaced with cable ties for now.
IMG 20150426 115940

The next plan was to take out the spark plugs and turn the car over with rags shoved down to holes to see if any coolant / oil is present when cranking. However, got to taking out the plugs and they looked like this. Bank 1 plug seems clean enough, but the others are pretty dirty...this suggest head gasket gone?
IMG 20150426 125252

Hmm...thinking about this more. Given the discoloration of the plugs is on the top side of the sealing ring, this could be down to a busted cam cover gasket?

Also, oil in the cylinders would be down to rings rather than head gasket, right? Still worth me cranking the engine over with rags pushed down the plug holes to see if any oil / coolant is splashing up in the cylinders?

Either way, I think the plugs want replacing, possibly cam cover gasket too. Seem like the logical next step before trying other things?

I've had a recent rocker/cam cover gasket replaced. The pump was replaced after & anything less than a quarter tank standing for a few days & it struggles to fire up, infact after that initial start its fine unless left to stand for again for a few days. Plugs, fuel filter, coils also replaced recently, i'm not losing any water but my PCV system could do with an overhaul.

Ok, so, this is going to sound like a very stupid question.......because it is.

I wanted to test to see if any coolant / oil was getting into the cylinders, so thought I would pop off all the packs / plugs, stick some rags down the plug holes and crank over to see if anything other than fuel shows up on the rags...

Went off to do the test after work today. Stuffed rags down each of the plug holes, cranked...and "pop", out come the rags. Thought to myself, whoops, better squash them in harder. Did it again...again, "pop", out come the rags.I repeated this process a few times, and the rags were clean and I could only smell fuel...but I'm not sure really, I need them to stay in the holes. Sadly, it's only me, so I can't have someone there standing, holding the rags in.Got any ideas?

Squirrel, if I was you I would bite the bullet, send the car to Bill and get him to build the engine, hybrid turbo and the bolt ons. It will cost some money but he will be able to fix this issue you're having and make your car into a rocket at the same time! Win Win. Something to save up for.

Thanks guys,

Karl: Yeah, was hoping to see any obvious signs of something seriously wrong, like noticeable amounts to oil / coolant showing up.

Jenno: Sadly getting to Bills isn't going to be an option cost-wise, if the engine is gone, then sadly the car will be being broken. I will however explore all avenues I can to keep it going. It's had a recent turbo rebuild, plenty of other "up-keep" work, so would be a shame to see it broken.

Might go ahead and replace the cam cover gasket, plugs and see if I get any improvement - cheap way of narrowing down the problem

Am gonna replace the cam cover and tension gaskets and plugs. Any need for me to check timing?

yep, did that at the beginning of this process, made no difference.

Question - how do I check for timing when I take the cam cover off (on the chain side)? Where should the marks be?

Ok, so took it apart, counted 16 links between cams, so timing should be all good. Fitted the new gasket set, cleaned the plug seats and fitted new.

Put it all back together today. Still took around 5/6 crank attempts to get it going. It actually fired starting on the 3rd crank attempt but then died straight after - did that a couple times until eventually it held and idled roughly. To be fair, this is much better than it was before!

Once idling, about 2 minutes after just leaving it there the idle seemed healthy and it revved fine and seemed to drive ok. So I got it up to temp, let it cool down and will see how it starts tomorrow

Reactions: mattyboy199
Well, after messing around, the starter motor "braid" blew (http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/thread...does-nothing-after-smoke.246765/#post-2489229)

I've replaced the starter and she fired straight up, hardly any starting issue at all!

I wonder whether the dodgy connection on the start had been at least partially causing the starting issue this whole time...

Either way. With a replace of plugs, cam cover & tensions gaskets and start motor, things seem to be ok again

Reactions: Alex C
my EPC light came on yesterday. Ive been advised its the crank sensor that needs replacing. Could be related.

VCDS-Lite Version: Release 1.2
Sunday, 12 July 2015, 20:03:26.

Chassis Type: 8L - Audi A3/S3
Scan: 01,02,03,08,15,16,17,22,35,37,45,55,56,57,75,76
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 01: Engine Labels: Redir Fail!
Controller: 8N0 906 018 BH
Component: 1.8L R4/5VT 01 0001
Coding: 10710
Shop #: WSC 00000
VCID: 78836BE34BCB

3 Faults Found:
16705 - Engine Speed Sensor (G28): Implausible Signal
P0321 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
16396 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs
P0012 - 35-10 - Please Register/Activate - Intermittent
16706 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs
P0322 - 35-10 - Please Register/Activate - Intermittent
Readiness: 0000 0000

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 03: ABS Brakes Labels: None
Controller: 8N0 907 379 E
Component: ESP 20 CAN V005
Coding: 18448
Shop #: WSC 01236
VCID: 3E0FBDFB296F
No fault code found.

Well, after messing around, the starter motor "braid" blew (http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/thread...does-nothing-after-smoke.246765/#post-2489229)

I've replaced the starter and she fired straight up, hardly any starting issue at all!

I wonder whether the dodgy connection on the start had been at least partially causing the starting issue this whole time...

Either way. With a replace of plugs, cam cover & tensions gaskets and start motor, things seem to be ok again

I'm glad you got it sorted mate. I'm struggling to understand how the starter motor caused the issues you were having but it must be a relief to have fixed it!

Jenno: Yeah, I'm also struggling to see. Unless the starter was only engaging partially due to the dodgy connection and not spinning the engine up enough to actually fire. I think honestly it's been a combination of things though and the starter was just part of it.

Matty: No engine codes for me, so unrelated to crank sensor for me - but definitely something you need to replace. Second hand starter around £25 off eBay realistically