Audi s3 2016 MPG

Gav93_S3

Reaction score
I have ordered a brand new s3 that comes in march and was just wondering what MPG people are getting?

Depends on the driving. I live in quite a built up town (Southend on sea) and can see 19mpg on a normal day in a fair bit of stop start traffic. If I get a clear run on the way home from work I can get 22-26mpg driving pretty conservatively.
I can also get it down to 10-12mpg when I have a clear spirited run :)
oh, and a run on the motorway I got 34mpg averaging 70mph.

Hope that helps!

Cheers, this post does help.... It doesn't fill me with confidence as I have a heavy right foot but it gives me a very good idea on what to expect haha

I average between 12-15mpg which is mainly driving to work (long clear country roads)
Will do over 30mpg on the motorway if driven sensibly which is good.

A keep telling me self it will be alright a wont be flying everywhere but who am a kidding haha!
Just don't look at the MPG on the OBC... I never do haha.

People keep saying the novelty will wear off but a don't see how it can
Just over 2 years into ownership and I still love the thing! Have gotten mid 30's when on the motorway, and mid-low 20's when around town. Covered just about 22k now!

Just over 2 years into ownership and I still love the thing! Have gotten mid 30's when on the motorway, and mid-low 20's when around town. Covered just about 22k now!
Always wanted a one so looks like I will just have to suck it up..... I will more than likely forget when I'm in it!! Haha

Reactions: Wondering Soul and Steve!
Think I get between 200 and 250 miles on VPower
I'm definitely going to use Vpower been told off alot of friends that it should be run on that

Reactions: Steve!
I get about 240miles to a tank in a normal week of driving - goes up if I'm doing some longer journeys.

I don't look at MPG anymore, just range!!

Reactions: Wondering Soul and Steve!
I get about 240miles to a tank in a normal week of driving - goes up if I'm doing some longer journeys.

I don't look at MPG anymore, just range!!
So basically a might as well not look at the MPG and just enjoy it haha!

How much do you put in a week roughly?

A tank lasts me about 10 days, I run it on Tesco Momentum (not a Shell station near enough to me). I tend to fill up just before the light comes on, last night it cost me £47.

So basically a might as well not look at the MPG and just enjoy it haha!

Absolutely.. after all, no-one really buys an S3 for economy hey!

Don't have to use VPower, nothing wrong with running the car on normal fuel IMO... I do when I have a long motorway journey ahead, whats the point when its only going to last a day or so?

How much do you put in a week roughly?

I use 2 tanks p/w usually. As I said, I don't drive it economically though.

A tank lasts me about 10 days, I run it on Tesco Momentum (not a Shell station near enough to me). I tend to fill up just before the light comes on, last night it cost me £47.

Yeah very rarely do I ever go over £50 when filling up.

Reactions: Gav93_S3
That's not bad at all less than what a thought it would be to be honest

Absolutely.. after all, no-one really buys an S3 for economy hey!

Don't have to use VPower, nothing wrong with running the car on normal fuel IMO... I do when I have a long motorway journey ahead, whats the point when its only going to last a day or so?
True, my mates a mechanic and says run it on normal then use vpower every couple of weeks to clean it out

Reactions: Zak0123
That's not bad at all less than what a thought it would be to be honest

You see that little gauge in your avatar?? Well, keep that one empty...............put the gearbox into manual and flick the right hand paddle every half a second and you'll be laughing!!

Somehow, given your age as much as anything else I can't see that happening, so do what most of us do and forget about fuel economy ;)

Reactions: Zak0123, Jassyo06 and Steve!
Notna
You see that little gauge in your avatar?? Well, keep that one empty...............put the gearbox into manual and flick the right hand paddle every half a second and you'll be laughing!!

Somehow, given your age as much as anything else I can't see that happening, so do what most of us do and forget about fuel economy ;)
not a chance that's going to happen, went had a test drive just after I ordered one and after driving it my boost will always be on full haha

Reactions: Simon L
I only drive in dynamic mode and use premium fuels only, my aircon is turned on all the time and I tend to use the heated seats and manage to get the following figures;
Around town - 24-28MPG
Motorway - 38-40MPG

I did a trip from Bolton To London for work (215 miles) yesterday and managed 39.5MPG with cruise set to 70 on the motorway and 45 minutes of city driving in London. My return trip today averaged 37MPG but there was quite a bit of standstill traffic on the M6 northbound.

To be honest I wouldn't really care if it did 15MPG as I bought the car for the performance, it's just a bonus that I get such reasonable MPG which comes in handy when I do some traveling for work.

Not wanting to start a war but I can't believe that people run their S3s on regular fuel, Audi have designed the engine to run on 98+ron so running regular is going to lose both power and efficiency thus increasing your fuel bill. I had a BMW S1000R bike which was designed for 98ron, I went for a spin out over the Yorkshire Dales and had to refuel on 95ron at the petrol station in Hawes, not only did I notice a huge drop in engine response but I noticed a 6mpg drop in efficiency on the motorway trip back home.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wondering Soul, Gav93_S3 and azibux1
Awe man not the car to be buying thinking of mpg it's terrible for a 2-0 litre car....297 bhp or not l always think why should it be so thirsty when am on not using all the 297 bhp,... 30 mpg max....higher octane fuel makes no difference
Gets me ready for RS3 mpg as that won't be much worse

I only drive in dynamic mode and use premium fuels only, my aircon is turned on all the time and I tend to use the heated seats and manage to get the following figures;
Around town - 24-28MPG
Motorway - 38-40MPG

I did a trip from Bolton To London for work (215 miles) yesterday and managed 39.5MPG with cruise set to 70 on the motorway and 45 minutes of city driving in London. My return trip today averaged 37MPG but there was quite a bit of standstill traffic on the M6 northbound.
View attachment 78907

To be honest I wouldn't really care if it did 15MPG as I bought the car for the performance, it's just a bonus that I get such reasonable MPG which comes in handy when I do some traveling for work.

Not wanting to start a war but I can't believe that people run their S3s on regular fuel, Audi have designed the engine to run on 98+ron so running regular is going to lose both power and efficiency thus increasing your fuel bill. I had a BMW S1000R bike which was designed for 98ron, I went for a spin out over the Yorkshire Dales and had to refuel on 95ron at the petrol station in Hawes, not only did I notice a huge drop in engine response but I noticed a 6mpg drop in efficiency on the motorway trip back home.
Is that on vpower as well mate? Cheers for that post anyway am not really bothered what MPG I get I just wanted a rough idea

Awe man not the car to be buying thinking of mpg it's terrible for a 2-0 litre car....297 bhp or not l always think why should it be so thirsty when am on not using all the 297 bhp,... 30 mpg max....higher octane fuel makes no difference
Gets me ready for RS3 mpg as that won't be much worse
My experience is the complete opposite, I get 38MPG+ on the motorway which is more than my 1.8 petrol Mondeo used to get, around town I get 25mpg which is only 5 or 6 mpg less than my first car 13 years ago (1.2 petrol Corsa C). I have a friend with a BMW 116i who gets the same economy around town as me and other friends with VXRs and Focus STs who would love to get the same economy as me.

I do see a lot of people complaining of poor MPG with the S3, I'm just wondering if perhaps the manual is better on fuel in the real world compared with the s-tronic.

Is that on vpower as well mate? Cheers for that post anyway am not really bothered what MPG I get I just wanted a rough idea

Mainly vPower but I'm not shy about using other premium fuels (inc Tesco)

Amazes me that people actually complain about the fuel economy of a performance car..

Reactions: JohnM100, WarwickL, Gav93_S3 and 1 other person
Mainly vPower but I'm not shy about using other premium fuels (inc Tesco)
I'm getting the Manual so I will be able to tell you in march haha, always had manuals and like going through the gears! Cheers for you help mate

Reactions: grimey121uk
Steady 100 kph on local highway (stuck in traffic), our 2016 S3 sedan (S Tronic) does 45-47 mpg (set in dynamic D mode).

Around the local area, where I tend to drive harder and in manual dynamic mode, does 23-28 mpg.

Measured using miles covered and fuel used (I never trust the onboard info, for good reason).

Car is unmodified, usually 2 passengers, running on local 98 RON (equivalent to your 95 I think - we get crap fuel here).

To be honest, I only did those fuel use runs for another forum.

I honestly don't car how much fuel it uses or doesn't.

Edit - our stage 1 Golf R MKVI didn't get anywhere close to that - same driving style and conditions

Last edited:
Reactions: Gav93_S3 and Steve!
You've ordered an S3 and you're worried about MPG?! You can actually get some impressive returns if you drive sensibly, but then why bother with an S3. I don't drive silly but like the odd bit of fun. I tend to average about 27 most of the time, which I guess is pretty good.

You've ordered an S3 and you're worried about MPG?! You can actually get some impressive returns if you drive sensibly, but then why bother with an S3. I don't drive silly but like the odd bit of fun. I tend to average about 27 most of the time, which I guess is pretty good.
Im not worried a just wanted to get an idea on what everyone else was getting, but to be honest it seams that its way better than i though it was going to be according to everyones posts. 27MPG isnt bad at all its way above what i thought cheers

Well i'm the same - i want performance for the b road blast home but its nice in traffic to drop it in 6th and not worry too much about the £5 notes flying out the windows.

I've seen 41mpg on mine and it hasn't even run in properly yet but i've also seen 15 :) Its not what you drive its how you drive it.

Reactions: Gav93_S3 and Steve!
28.5 mpg stock
27.0 mpg stage 1 remap

100% Tesco Momentum.