Audi RS3 revo stage 1 problem

imsiyawa

Reaction score
Hi.

I just got a revo stage 1 on my 2018 RS3 FL and I see some strange RPM drop when I do a WOT above 3000RPM.
Here is a video I recorded with my issue.

Traction is set to sport mode and car is in full manual dynamic mode (stick pushed over to the side)

Anyone here with a revo tune that have the same problem?
Or anyone with a tune then notice this behavior?

When launching everything looks good and my last dragy gps result is a 0-60mpg in 3.12sec

Certainly looks like clutch slip, very similar to what I had on my Golf R before getting the gearbox map!
No virtual cockpit on your car?

What gear are you in when doing that? You'll be riding peak torque right about there. If you are in a high gear you will be putting unnecessary strain on the clutches.

There's a difference doing that in 2nd/3rd gear as opposed to 5th/6th gear. Far more strain on the clutches doing that in a higher gear as you're riding peak torque for longer periods. Do that often enough and you'll cause premature clutch wear (clutch slip)

If you drive the car properly and use your gears properly then you will avoid riding the peak torque curve. Majority of premature clutch slip is down to drivers being lazy and not using their gears properly.

But yes, as the car is in full manual and will not auto downshift/kick down, it certainly seems like a bit of clutch slip from that video clip. You may now need a TCU tune to increase the clamping pressures.

Off of a launch and accelerating, you will never see or ride peak torque as you'll always be in the 5000+ band on the upshifts.

Last edited:
Reactions: AudiNutta
Certainly looks like clutch slip, very similar to what I had on my Golf R before getting the gearbox map!
No virtual cockpit on your car?

I spent all my money just to get the 2.5T :)
To get VC I had to also get NAV and that was just to much for my wallet :|

Reactions: AudiNutta and NevMan
What gear are you in when doing that? You'll be riding peak torque right about there. If you are in a high gear you will be putting unnecessary strain on the clutches.

I am in 4th gear when this usually happens (video is recorded in 4th gear) but I also notice it in 3rd gear when WOT from 3000 or 4000 RPM.

There's a difference doing that in 2nd/3rd gear as opposed to 5th/6th gear. Far more strain on the clutches doing that in a higher gear as you're riding peak torque for longer periods. Do that often enough and you'll cause premature clutch wear (clutch slip)

If you drive the car properly and use your gears properly then you will avoid riding the peak torque curve. Majority of premature clutch slip is down to drivers being lazy and not using their gears properly.

But yes, as the car is in full manual and will not auto downshift/kick down, it certainly seems like a bit of clutch slip from that video clip. You may now need a TCU tune to increase the clamping pressures.

Off of a launch and accelerating, you will never see or ride peak torque as you'll always be in the 5000+ band on the upshifts.

The revo map that was flashed to my car is the 97, 97 low boost and 98. I just switched to the 98 Ron map (since I always use 98 Ron fuel) and I see now more of this RMP behavior (clutch slip). If I do a WOT from above 4000 RPM I see this drop so I don't think I can continue driving like this.
My first impression was also a clutch slip but I was then told that a slip would most likely throw a code and i don't see any codes when I scan with my VCDS.

I do have a lot of logging that I could share if some one wants to have a look.

I have Revo stage 1 on my TT and have never had anything like this. Obviously a slightly lighter car but yours does seem like clutch slip.

I have revo stage 1+ map 98 octane. I never encountered this problem. I happen to be able to enter the traction control (esp indicator light on the dashboard lights up).
It could be that your car (but it seems strange to me with only Revo stage 1) steps limit torque DSG (65kgm). The control unit starts cutting power. In low gears it can happen that you suddenly open the clutch.
I advise you to return to Revo dealer and make a data log while using car to understand the torque value that the control unit records.

I have revo stage 1+ map 98 octane. I never encountered this problem. I happen to be able to enter the traction control (esp indicator light on the dashboard lights up).
It could be that your car (but it seems strange to me with only Revo stage 1) steps limit torque DSG (65kgm). The control unit starts cutting power. In low gears it can happen that you suddenly open the clutch.
I advise you to return to Revo dealer and make a data log while using car to understand the torque value that the control unit records.

Do you have any other mods?
I have the APR inlet pipe + elbow and a K&N panel filter but I don't think these parts should make to much of a different.

Here is a log over time showing the RPM increases for so to drop again where the torque is peeking.

AudiRS3RPMNMOver Time

And here is another log over time where you can see the boost climbs up to 1.9 bar for so to drop.
So it kind of look like the boost shoots up to high and make to much torque and this is when the clutch is slipping a bit.
By looking at the N75 DC (the valve controlling the WG) it kind of looks like it stays open for a bit to long and when it drops it's to late?

AudiRS3N75

When you talk about the control unit do you refer to the DSG and that I should do som DSG logging?

Oh and I have contacted revo but don't know if there is anything they can do.

Do you have any logs from your car to compare with?

regards

I have no log of my RS3 with Revo map. If the torque recorded by the ECU goes up to 65 kg (480 lb ft) to protect DSG it starts cutting power.
I would log the car with REVO dealer ... if you have a peak torque of 4,000 rpm the only solution is to remap the gear. REVO unfortunately with its stage 2 and relative change map is very late ...

I have no log of my RS3 with Revo map. If the torque recorded by the ECU goes up to 65 kg (480 lb ft) to protect DSG it starts cutting power.
I would log the car with REVO dealer ... if you have a peak torque of 4,000 rpm the only solution is to remap the gear. REVO unfortunately with its stage 2 and relative change map is very late ...

"remap the gear" Like a TCU flash?

By looking at my torque I would assume that the torque climbs above 480 lb ft. VCDS just takes samples and it might have missed the point where the torque goes to high.
So the big question is if the clutch is actually slipping or this drop is the ECU cutting power.
But since the RPM is increasing fast for so to drop I am afraid that this is a clutch slip.

Here is a log from a different tuner but same engine:
Audi25TN75

The WG control looks way more soft here and it also looks like it drops a bit earlier to avoid way to much over boosting.

I will wait a bit more to see if revo comes up with an answer. If not I would have to ask for a refund. Don't think I can have the car like it is atm.

Never had issue i had 98 ron From 6000km until 20000km i did 200 LC and many fast driving. Never slip. After 20000km i flashed TCU tune. Again all good.

Really strange issue

Did you have revo on your golf-r when your clutch was slipping or some other tuner?

I initially had clutch slip when running a JB1 tuning box, when it started it only happened in 6th gear about 3500 rpm.
After a short time I could get it in 3rd upwards.
I then went stage 2 Apr with tcu tune and the car was perfect.

I spent all my money just to get the 2.5T :)
To get VC I had to also get NAV and that was just to much for my wallet :|

It’s nice to see the dials in my opinion, virtual cockpit is cool but those black RS dials are to die for!

To contribute yes I’d have said clutch slip before reading all of the posts also, only explanation.

There is a lot of knowledge in this thread and if it seems like it wouldn’t be a common mapping issue, maybe this comes down to a mechanical defect with the clutch pack?

Last edited: