Audi RS3 8Y Exhaust Valve Delete Modules & Blanking Connectors - GROUP BUY

I did pick up set myself so please remove me.from list

Seller told.me.he will rise price in next few days

Yup thread here

Exhaust blanking plugs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just the error or do they cause the engine to hold back as well due to unknown exhaust valve position ?

And can the error be reset once the delete plugs are in place? (assuming that the error occurs between unplugging valves and plugging in the blanking plugs)

Last edited:
Just the error or do they cause the engine to hold back as well due to unknown exhaust valve position ?

And can the error be reset once the delete plugs are in place? (assuming that the error occurs between unplugging valves and plugging in the blanking plugs)

VCDS cleared it, but it returned straight after, now could be 2 reasons.
1) the system was still ‘live’
2) Audi have changed something in the way the valves are wired on the 8Y as on the 8V you could unplug them, put the delete plugs in and then clear any faults with no issues, on the 8Y the errors came back even with the plugs in.

The only thing that cleared the errors is Odis S
I’ve literally just ordered the ASR CB2 controller…..

Reactions: Mike.46
VCDS cleared it, but it returned straight after, now could be 2 reasons.
1) the system was still ‘live’
2) Audi have changed something in the way the valves are wired on the 8Y as on the 8V you could unplug them, put the delete plugs in and then clear any faults with no issues, on the 8Y the errors came back even with the plugs in.

The only thing that cleared the errors is Odis S
I’ve literally just ordered the ASR CB2 controller…..

Thanks for that, I would like the valves open all the time but do not want an error within the ecu, manufacturers seem to get cleverer with ecu's.
Aprilia Motorcycle has a butterfly valve with cables, people just take the cables off and leave the motor operating :) so Aprilia programmed the ecu to recognise the travel of the motor, it then throws the error code :(

E-Bay seller now says they're OK for 8Y without any codes being logged?

Thanks for that, I would like the valves open all the time but do not want an error within the ecu, manufacturers seem to get cleverer with ecu's.
Aprilia Motorcycle has a butterfly valve with cables, people just take the cables off and leave the motor operating :) so Aprilia programmed the ecu to recognise the travel of the motor, it then throws the error code :(

It’s why I went down the Control via module route.
No errors and is hidden away.

In German but he has a test device showing the state of valves in different modes which was interesting.

E-Bay seller now says they're OK for 8Y without any codes being logged?

ETTO…….

You just use what you feel comfy with……

As long as you can clear any errors generated though.

Edit don’t forget mine where 8V plugs which were 4 pin affairs, could be a different wiring configuration on the 8Y, hence the errors

It’s why I went down the Control via module route.
No errors and is hidden away.

In German but he has a test device showing the state of valves in different modes which was interesting.

Got one recently, the RX2 I think, and returned after a week because after a correct installation the valve's motor seemed to not work properly.
They were very kind with me and offered a swap with a new unit and an extended trial period, but the solution hasn't convinced me.

This was the valve's behaviour during one of various tries, the video is also useful for understand the tone variation between open and closed valve

In addiction to this, you'll have to remove the battery to get the job done and this simple act will thrown in a bunch of errors in various ECUs. I tried to clear those out with OBD11, but some of them (engine, can bus and another one) are still there.

So, considering the price and benefits, I'd prefer spend way less and stay with valve always open until a proper ECU remap will bring full control on these.

That said, I really hope your experience will be better than mine! :)

Reactions: 8YARWY
Got one recently, the RX2 I think, and returned after a week because after a correct installation the valve's motor seemed to not work properly.
They were very kind with me and offered a swap with a new unit and an extended trial period, but the solution hasn't convinced me.

This was the valve's behaviour during one of various tries, the video is also useful for understand the tone variation between open and closed valve

In addiction to this, you'll have to remove the battery to get the job done and this simple act will thrown in a bunch of errors in various ECUs. I tried to clear those out with OBD11, but some of them (engine, can bus and another one) are still there.

So, considering the price and benefits, I'd prefer spend way less and stay with valve always open until a proper ECU remap will bring full control on these.

That said, I really hope your experience will be better than mine! :)

I know from experience the errors do not clear with VCDS / OBD11.
Only Odis works.

Just to confirm, the inital blankers on here that we put our names down for will put up an error and the only way to clear it is with odis?

Just to confirm, the inital blankers on here that we put our names down for will put up an error and the only way to clear it is with odis?

The ones I used did….. they were 8V ones tho, so maybe different.

You’ll get an error the minute you unplug them.
Maybe a way around it would be to put the car in RS performance mode then switch off. Then disconnect the battery, this way you avoid the ECU seeing them unplugged.

The only thing then is if the ECU detects the 8Y ones when it becomes live again ( it did when I plugged mine in )

VCDS cleared the errors, however they came back even though the delete plugs were in.

This isn’t to say VCDS won’t be able clear them in a future update maybe, I was having a discussion with a retro fitter I work with about this, we agreed that VCDS etc seem quite a bit behind on the 8Y MQB platform.

You just gotta make sure you are ok if it needs to go into Audi, because these flaps are a component that is linked to the engine.
We all know how they like to avoid warranty work.

Reactions: RS03???, kayemill and Mike.46
Little update from the seller, he will offer a 5% discount to everyone watching the item.

c1512a4197a38a196f96e5cb3217f622.png

I’ve also asked confirmation about the possibility to avoid errors in the ecu, wainting for feedback..

Little update from the seller, he will offer a 5% discount to everyone watching the item.

c1512a4197a38a196f96e5cb3217f622.png

I’ve also asked confirmation about the possibility to avoid errors in the ecu, wainting for feedback..

If anyone that lives near me wants to fit them I’ll offer to scan the car etc once you have done them….. saddleworth area.

Reactions: billymc92
What is holding me back here is that 'if' the new version leaves an error in the ecu is it just a matter of time before the ecu holds the performance back?

Update from the seller, modules are the exact same of 8V, so will happen exactly what @8YARWY previously explained

10e589dc10d29150b74488219ead6ac4.jpg

Hmmm ok.

Let me fit them again with the battery disconnected and I’ll report back.

Reactions: Mastachaz and Mike.46
Hmmm ok.

Let me fit them again with the battery disconnected and I’ll report back.

Thanks!

In my experience with the installation of the ASR module, the simple battery disconnection caused several errors in different ECUs. All of those were reported as “occasional” and with obd11 I managed to clear the majority of them except the ones on Engine, Can Bus and something else.

Of course obd11 couldn’t be the perfect solution as you suggested, but the question is: maybe there is something to do before effectively detach the negative from the battery to avoid those errors?

Thanks!

In my experience with the installation of the ASR module, the simple battery disconnection caused several errors in different ECUs. All of those were reported as “occasional” and with obd11 I managed to clear the majority of them except the ones on Engine, Can Bus and something else.

Of course obd11 couldn’t be the perfect solution as you suggested, but the question is: maybe there is something to do before effectively detach the negative from the battery to avoid those errors?

Those errors usually clear once the car has been driven.
OBD11 is terrible at error reporting.

I used it a few days ago to test something and it insisted I had a A9 Soundakator module

I read the post carefully. The solution of being able to keep the valves permanently open if you don't plan on installing ( when you can ) a sport downpipe eliminating OPF makes sense to me . However, if the connector kit that is the subject of the post generates error codes there is no point in buying it. Just disconnect the valves and insulate the connectors without insulating tape or heat shrink tubing to prevent water and dirt from oxidizing the contacts.
It seems unfair for the seller to claim that his kit does not generate error codes on the 8Y when in practice it is not so. I don't think there is any different contact connection between 8V and 8Y. I think it is more likely that the 8Y control unit is not content to detect an electrical resistance equivalent to the valve on the exhaust . Maybe check that the signal is also variable .
If my hypothesis was correct it would justify the fact that error reappears after being cleared.
To avoid valve disconnection error instead of disconnecting the battery, is it not enough to do this operation half an hour - 1 hour after turning off the car? I don't think the control unit keeps everything under control all the time, it would discharge the battery during a long stop.
The ASR solution makes sense to me if you are planning to install a sport downpipe and eliminate the OPF. In this case the possibility to keep the valves closed can be useful. It's a pity that Lucasquattro found some problems. I had installed one of their devices on RS3 8V FL and it always worked perfectly.
If I understand correctly on the 8Y, as on my current BMW M2 Competion (RS3 8Y should arrive in August) has a device equivalent to ASD BMW that pumps a fake engine sound through the stereo system. I have always hated it and through Bimmerlink application I was able to disable it . Only after deactivation I realized how much the sound inside the car was fake. Has a solution been found on the 8Y to eliminate this fake engine noise?

Reactions: Lucasquattro and 8YARWY
Thanks!

Ok so I tested with battery Earth removed.

Plugged in the blanking plugs.

Had a drive (car does sound so much better).

Dash is like a Xmas tree upon reconnection which is to be expected.

Most are ‘soft’ errors that you get when a battery disconnection takes place.

The 01 Engine errors are there though sadly and as before they do NOT clear with VCDS, just keep coming back.

ac2f1a0fa6cd25405d2a4c2e359ade17.jpg

Reactions: Lucasquattro
Someone’s needing to tell this chap on eBay that he’s charging 40 sheets for a blanking plug then :welcoming:

VCP clears the errors once everything is plugged back in as factory.
So either VCP or Odis is in my testing the only way of clearing the ECU.

The exhaust valves must be using a varying current to control and the ECU isn’t liking what it’s seeing.

6d5ffbe7ef649052690e2f3c5bbe3f35.jpg

I will send him pm as i got set of the way

Having seen your other posting of pictures of your convo with the seller, how does he propose you fit the blanking plugs to the car before it shuts the valve and powers down the ECU ?
It’s irrelevant anyway as the battery is disconnected after putting the car in performance mode, so it cannot detect the change, what it does detect when it’s powered up is an operational fault, which generates those errors in the 8Y.

He says his modules are 8V / 8Y same ? I can’t see it because the blanking plugs I’ve used are 4 pin FL 8V ones, unless his are modified to suit the 8Y……

Reactions: Mastachaz
Having seen your other posting of pictures of your convo with the seller, how does he propose you fit the blanking plugs to the car before it shuts the valve and powers down the ECU ?
It’s irrelevant anyway as the battery is disconnected after putting the car in performance mode, so it cannot detect the change, what it does detect when it’s powered up is an operational fault, which generates those errors in the 8Y.

He says his modules are 8V / 8Y same ? I can’t see it because the blanking plugs I’ve used are 4 pin FL 8V ones, unless his are modified to suit the 8Y……

Screenshot 20220507 214013 eBay

I must mess up sorry was thinking it was removed

^ Do we know if the exhaust valve motor is the same between 8V and 8Y?

Either it’s slightly different in that the motor is capable of variable movement or it’s wiring logic has changed.

What I did see yesterday after unplugging the valves a third time (after the 2nd time with battery earth off) is the top 2 errors (yellow line in the picture) appeared 1st.
The 3rd / 4th errors only appeared when the car was driven, so IMO they are from the ECU not being able to vary flap movement on the move, which with a blanking plug I don’t see how you can overcome.
b6ec533ba0b6d84fefec6bab58a68cf4.jpg

There has to be a pull back of power in this scenario because this ECU won’t know what’s going on with the flaps, so can’t risk full power at high revs for risk of engine damage relating to back pressure in the system.

Reactions: Mike.46, Mastachaz and Lucasquattro
Thanks @
Either it’s slightly different in that the motor is capable of variable movement or it’s wiring logic has changed.

What I did see yesterday after unplugging the valves a third time (after the 2nd time with battery earth off) is the top 2 errors (yellow line in the picture) appeared 1st.
The 3rd / 4th errors only appeared when the car was driven, so IMO they are from the ECU not being able to vary flap movement on the move, which with a blanking plug I don’t see how you can overcome.

There has to be a pull back of power in this scenario because this ECU won’t know what’s going on with the flaps, so can’t risk full power at high revs for risk of engine damage relating to back pressure in the system.

Thanks for all your testing!

I can remember that during one of the various 8Y’s press presentation, Audi said that the exhaust sound was “improved” from last gen thanks to variable valve control. So everything relating the errors makes sense and the use of blanking plugs doesn’t!

The real problem is in your last sentence, if this damned ECU detect those errors as risky for the engine, then we’ll have many troubles :(
I can’t remember if there’s someone else who has ran without valves for a while now to understand if our concern is real.

Thanks @

Thanks for all your testing!

I can remember that during one of the various 8Y’s press presentation, Audi said that the exhaust sound was “improved” from last gen thanks to variable valve control. So everything relating the errors makes sense and the use of blanking plugs doesn’t!

The real problem is in your last sentence, if this damned ECU detect those errors as risky for the engine, then we’ll have many troubles :(
I can’t remember if there’s someone else who has ran without valves for a while now to understand if our concern is real.
I've run with my valves unplugged for most of march and all of April and I haven't noticed any issues at all. There is certainly no shortage of power 'to the naked eye' as such. Whether a dyno would say different or not remains to be seen. In any event, there are no errors and certainly to feel, no lack of power.

Reactions: Mastachaz
I think I will buy an ASR RX1 device hoping that it does not give the problems found by Lucasquattro with RX2. Honestly I do not find much added value for my use between RX1 , RX2 and CB2 . Once opened the valves I think I will forget the remote control in the glove box.

I've had them in for about a month and again had no drop in power. Haven't had it on a dyno but out of the launches I've done I had the best time with the plugs fitted. If it's pulling power it is minimal.

I've had them in for about a month and again had no drop in power. Haven't had it on a dyno but out of the launches I've done I had the best time with the plugs fitted. If it's pulling power it is minimal.

When we had the 8V on the Dyno it pulls power 5k upwards.
Here’s the graph….. see the red line how it drops away after 5K
Blue line is with valves plugged back in

d3096ffd8e42b9357851089591909207.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Keano04, Mastachaz and CarterRS
When we had the 8V on the Dyno it pulls power 5k upwards.
Here’s the graph….. see the red line how it drops away after 5K
Blue line is with valves plugged back in

d3096ffd8e42b9357851089591909207.jpg

It’s definitely not pulling that much power on the 8Y, that would be noticeable.

2017 cars end in B

2023 cars end in D

So same main part number but different revision letter.

Other tweaks to the ECU software could be the difference here though.

2017 cars end in B

2023 cars end in D

So same main part number but different revision letter.

Other tweaks to the ECU software could be the difference here though.

To fool the ecu into thinking the valves are still there the 'blanking plugs' need to return the same feedback signal to the ecu as the exhaust valves do, one option might be to remove the electric positioner and lock wire the valves open? Of course this could enable the valves to move further than in normal operation and again throw an error message:

PS: We know that Audi are tightening up on emission stuff (inc noise emission) as the OPF by pass doesnt work teh same as on the 8V either

And I also wonder if the exhaust valve sensor/switch and ecu feedback is taking inputs from other sensors as well? maybe the OPF pressure and temperature sensors re-act to a permanently open exhaust valve?

And I also wonder if the exhaust valve sensor/switch and ecu feedback is taking inputs from other sensors as well? maybe the OPF pressure and temperature sensors re-act to a permanently open exhaust valve?

Maybe all this is a non event, as people aren’t noticing any difference in power with them unplugged anyway…..

Last edited:
It may certainly become an event though if when your car is serviced and plugged into the Audi mothership and Audi comes back with denied/cancelled Warranty due to car being altered to cheat UK/Euro emmissions ?

It’s definitely not pulling that much power on the 8Y, that would be noticeable.

Thanks for you feedback guys! :)

All those potential issues are just nerve-wracking :blink: I hope that the folks at Audi weren't so committed to emissions related stuff to reach this kind of control over all the engine parts...The case reported by 8YARWY on the 8V is pretty annoying.

I think I'll wait for some more info and confirmation before proceed with actions.

Reactions: Mike.46 and 8YARWY
It may certainly become an event though if when your car is serviced and plugged into the Audi mothership and Audi comes back with denied/cancelled Warranty due to car being altered to cheat UK/Euro emmissions ?
They can never prove it, a few random errors flagging up isn't unheard of

Not in the same league as a remap regarding warranty