Audi RS3 8v pfl fault/traction problems

Champion335D

RS3 8V pfl
Reaction score
Hi guys
I have a huge problem with my pfl RS3 at the minute, the car drives fine in normal day to day driving but when you boot it 60% to full throttle the car bounces around 5000rpm and sounds terrible whilst the EML flashes on and off and sometimes traction control also. Anybody any ideas or have anything similar happen?

Woah that don’t seem very good, I’m sure you won’t be but I wouldn’t be driving it anywhere. I’d call Audi Assistance personally and jump the queue into the centre for an issue like that (if you’re under warranty).

Do you have anybody with access to VCDS? Possible air starvation? Doesn’t sound like a boost leak to me? Will it rev through the full range if you are light on the accelerator or always drop off at 5000 regardless?

One of our experts will be along shortly.. haha

Yeah I have warranty its just come back from them Thursday, they said the vcds flagged up a missfire on cylinder 2 which is very strange because my local garage vcds showed up missfiring on cylinders 1 4 and 5 (see pic) Received 439061886662436
There was a none OEM bosch coil pack on to be fair but I'm having the same issue which I described to them in the first place, I'm worried it's something serious.

It will rev through the full range with light throttle but can be pretty worrying to drive on the motorway as you can imagine, the car is not in use now I'm worried it might damage the car even more.

Yeah I have warranty its just come back from them Thursday, they said the vcds flagged up a missfire on cylinder 2 which is very strange because my local garage vcds showed up missfiring on cylinders 1 4 and 5 (see pic) View attachment 182251
There was a none OEM bosch coil pack on to be fair but I'm having the same issue which I described to them in the first place, I'm worried it's something serious.

It will rev through the full range with light throttle but can be pretty worrying to drive on the motorway as you can imagine, the car is not in use now I'm worried it might damage the car even more.

That’s 3 members on here now including myself that seem to have a cylinder 2 misfire at the moment, haha.

Hmm, how come there was a non OEM coil pack on? How long have you owned the car?

I’d be very worried as well and wouldn’t be driving, as I said call assistance who will recover it and Audi will be forced to look at it within 48 hours.

Yeah I have warranty its just come back from them Thursday, they said the vcds flagged up a missfire on cylinder 2 which is very strange because my local garage vcds showed up missfiring on cylinders 1 4 and 5 (see pic) View attachment 182251

And they returned to car to you when they knew it was doing that. Wtf, which dealer. I would change dealers.

Like everyone says, I wouldn’t drive the car at all......could be anything from a cylinder head, intercooler pipe leak or fuel pump issue. I say the last one as my s3 had a fuel pump failure between the two saddle fuel tanks, the symptom was when you floor it the car jolted and stopped accelerating at approx 4000rpm under hard acceleration. The misfire on the diag might just indicate fuel starvation

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: AudiNutta
They said they test drove it but I seriously doubt it, it's gone back in today so I'll let you guys knowo the outcome at least they have given me a curtosy car this time

Reactions: AudiNutta
We all get our special deals on a case by case basis haha, glad the OP got it sorted that’s all that matters.

I wouldn’t say it was a special Deal.

If this is the same guy from the other forum.

More like pants being yanked right down.

Reactions: AudiNutta and Marshy
Well let's say Audi charge £150 for an hour's labour, spark plugs are like £18 each

that’s a **** take.

Less than half an hour to swap plugs.

A little longer maybe on the Facelift because of the wire rail and coil bolts removal.

that’s a **** take.

Less than half an hour to swap plugs.

A little longer maybe on the Facelift because of the wire rail and coil bolts removal.
Well I'm guessing they included the diagnostics checks and testing.. anyhow it's sorted now hopefully next time I'll get it under warranty

Reactions: T-800
Well I'm guessing they included the diagnostics checks and testing.. anyhow it's sorted now hopefully next time I'll get it under warranty

Yeah probably so.

Glad it’s sorted though, you can enjoy the car now.

They wouldn’t change mine under warranty when mine were suspect, I had to pay and got a bit of a deal done but still had to pay. Spark plugs aren’t a warrantable item as they are serviceable apparently, even if they fail half way through their expected life.

Spark plugs are set to cost around £210 fitted at Audi, I got priced around £120 for the plugs to buy obviously then plus their fitting.

Also can confirm the dealer I use is £156 an hour, disgusting price.

Even if they didn’t look after you on price, that’s a great result from how bad your symptoms were. As I said, glad it’s sorted back to enjoying now :D

Reactions: Champion335D