Q2 Audi Q2 wireless Apple Carplay

Ormesome

Reaction score
Evening all,

I just wanted to show off the wireless car play dongles I just got delivered from AudiRetrofits. It was £135 which postage to Switzerland. Think it’s £99 all in for U.K. though which is cheaper than the ones that always appear on my google searches. It’s really quick at connecting, the dongle connects to the phone via Bluetooth and then to the car via the USB port. I attached/glued mine in a way so it’s always connected but I can still use the wireless charging without moving it. Can’t see any delays in operation so far.....

43381E4E 8227 4626 8D5D F95FFF23C192
FF1EE2A3 218C 4CAF 9E3F 6B6E5F92C825

Reactions: WIll Savage and paul wev
Evening all,

I just wanted to show off the wireless car play dongles I just got delivered from AudiRetrofits. It was £135 which postage to Switzerland. Think it’s £99 all in for U.K. though which is cheaper than the ones that always appear on my google searches. It’s really quick at connecting, the dongle connects to the phone via Bluetooth and then to the car via the USB port. I attached/glued mine in a way so it’s always connected but I can still use the wireless charging without moving it. Can’t see any delays in operation so far.....

View attachment 208438 View attachment 208439

looks great!

Joyeauto makes these and have been contacting every UK based retrofitter they can find recently in order to sell them lol

Good feedback? To be fair they look way better than any other on the market. The only thing I don’t like is that there is a logo/menu that starts up each time that looks cheap and tacky, Chinese writing, lastS for around 3seconds but just takes away the whole experience.

Good feedback? To be fair they look way better than any other on the market. The only thing I don’t like is that there is a logo/menu that starts up each time that looks cheap and tacky, Chinese writing, lastS for around 3seconds but just takes away the whole experience.
Seem to work and are very cheap to buy-in but I won’t be selling them as they have not been proven for any length of time as yet.

had a wireless smartphone vehicle for a few weeks here in Greece and found my iPhone battery % was ticking down like a clock so am not a fan to be honest.

Reactions: Ormesome
Seem to work and are very cheap to buy-in but I won’t be selling them as they have not been proven for any length of time as yet.

had a wireless smartphone vehicle for a few weeks here in Greece and found my iPhone battery % was ticking down like a clock so am not a fan to be honest.
That would be my biggest concern too. Battery life and potential hacking on the device side

Mines on the wireless charger most of the time. Just wanted the wireless dongle so it connects without the hassle of a cable. Don’t think battery life will be an issue but will report back soon once I’ve tested it properly.

Reactions: WIll Savage
Mines on the wireless charger most of the time. Just wanted the wireless dongle so it connects without the hassle of a cable. Don’t think battery life will be an issue but will report back soon once I’ve tested it properly.
I find this depends on the size of your device. I have wireless charging on my car but don't use it for two reasons:

1) its slow on the A3/S3/RS3. Not sure if its a different wattage on the Q2 but I find its just not usable as it don't supply enough juice.
2) I have an iPhone 11 Pro Max, in an apple leather case which adds to the size, and its a pain putting the phone in and getting it out of the armrest. Really bad design, possible afterthought even, by Audi.

Ok so, used it for an hour, on WiFi, connected to the wireless CarPlay dongle, not charging, using GoogleMaps and also LBC radio app to stream music.

Phone is an iPhone X - 2yrs old.

• Left home at 10:56 -99% battery
  • Arrived at 11:59 - 87% Battery
Personally I am happy with those figures, I will only use it locally anyway so an hour is the most I will use it for.

On the way home I did try the same connections but with it charging via the wireless in car charging. My iPhone got hot and didn’t like it so started lagging, took it off charging and it was fine after 1minute. No overheating when not charging.

Ok so, used it for an hour, on WiFi, connected to the wireless CarPlay dongle, not charging, using GoogleMaps and also LBC radio app to stream music.

Personally I am happy with those figures, I will only use it locally anyway so an hour is the most I will use it for.

On the way home I did try the same connections but with it charging via the wireless in car charging. My iPhone got hot and didn’t like it so started lagging, took it off charging and it was fine after 1minute. No overheating when not charging.
If your happy with it then at the end of the day that’s all that matters :)

Reactions: Ormesome and paul wev

not too bad given that is running GPS and a downloading data connection, plus a wifi signal on top!
interesting that wireless charging killed it, like @DJAlix said if you are happy with it then thats all that matters

Reactions: Ormesome
not too bad given that is running GPS and a downloading data connection, plus a wifi signal on top!
interesting that wireless charging killed it, like @DJAlix said if you are happy with it then thats all that matters

I think it was just processing too much so it overheated. Interestingly, I just ran it for an hour, LBC app streaming Radio X, Wifi enabled AND wireless charging and it was fine. Used Siri to reply to messages etc....Not even remotely hot & charged perfectly.

Anyway, I only bought it so that I could stream radio and use Google maps via Car Play locally, I use the Audi maps for longer trips but it's useless for searches like restaurants etc.... The dongle works perfectly for this. I just know now that I cant overload the phone if I want to charge it at the same time as using Gmaps on CarPlay.