Q2 Audi Q2. What were Audi thinking?

viperfire

Reaction score
Before I receive inevitable back lash let me explain where I’ve come from. I have owned a 2013 audi a3 since May 2013. It was a 1.4tfsi 122 now discontinued s line in Daytona grey and it had s line suspension with comfort pack. I then switched this in June 2015 to a 2.0 Tdi pre facelift Audi A3. Still Daytona Grey and again S line but this had one did not have s line suspension. I loved both these cars. Interior quality outstanding, road holding and ride in both great.

As you can probably see from the date I had come to the end of pcp deal. I had seen the Q2 and even though it’s a marmite car I loved the look of it especially s line spec. My choice was yet another a3 (yep it’s now facelifted but I thought a change might be nice), a mini countryman or the q2. Opted for the q2. I have a good relationship with the salesman I use and he stated it’s just a slightly bigger a3, same interior dash, slighgly more interior space, slightly bigger boot etc. I thought great, had a quick look around a highly specced s line. Test drove it and ordered a 2.0 tfsi s line with comfort pack.
Now maybe this is my own naivety but I didn’t notice what Audi had done to the a3 interior until owning the car itself.

I’ll state again I’m not bashing this car because of the way it looks. I like the look of it but what Audi where thinking is criminal. They took the perfectly fine 2013 Audi A3 interior, removed most quality parts, added cheap plastics, removed colour dis screens, made doors have a tinny and cheap weight to them, no retractable screen, removed chrome and replaced with cheap looking black plastics. The whole thing feels cheaply made. Why they have done this in a car that costs more than an A3 is beyond me? Seems like big costing methods to save them money.

I saw some comments on the cheap quality interior in reviews but thought surely not its an Audi. Other reviews said it’s well made. It’s not!

Onto to the ride and handling. I have the dynamic suspension as the reviews said best one to go for. Wish I’d gone for s line suspension. It lulls and bobs around horrendously. I feel motion sickness on some roads. Cornering fast feels dangerous even with Quattro and this is the first Quattro I’ve owned. The A3 diesel with front feel drive feels a lot more secure and firmly planted to the road. I must have test drove the q2 with s line suspension but salesman didn’t mention this.

The 2.0 tfsi engine is also terrible. Noisy as the 2.0 Tdi diesel I’ve come from, unrefined and jerky. I can’t comment on any previous 2.0 tfsi as this is the first one I’ve owned but it will be my last based on this. Yes it’s fast off the line but mid range feels no different to the 150 diesel and little difference to a 1.5 150 tfsi petrol a3 the dealership had lent me.

The a3 was facelift. Interior similar to pre facelift but just enough new details and features.
To improve it beyond the pre facelift interior. It felt upgraded as had same standard of quality. The q2 is a massive downgrade interior wise. It feels like they borrowed parts and plastics from SEAT.

If you’re here thinking of getting a Q2 don’t get one imo. Go for an A3. You’re getting a much better quality interior, ride and handling with only slightly less space and practically.

So to end this i’m Going to ask if anyone has any experience of returning a car to the dealer and how did that go?

I want to like this q2 but it just feels like I’ve downgraded from Audi when I’m inside and driving about . Massively disappointed
icon_cry.gif
icon_evil.gif

I think you listened too much and checked out yourself too little. The Q2 is a smaller car than the Q3 - and by normal standards will have a cheaper finish.

On the driving front, it's not unusual for an SUV to have different drive characteristics - and a bit bouncier ride can be one.

If you want to change it then you are at the dealers mercy for a deal - it's had one owner, it's now used and he has to resell. He might get you into an A3 but it won't come cheap.

Hi Isl

It's not a smaller car than an A3 it's shared its interior design from though is it? I
I think you listened too much and checked out yourself too little. The Q2 is a smaller car than the Q3 - and by normal standards will have a cheaper finish.

On the driving front, it's not unusual for an SUV to have different drive characteristics - and a bit bouncier ride can be one.

If you want to change it then you are at the dealers mercy for a deal - it's had one owner, it's now used and he has to resell. He might get you into an A3 but it won't come cheap.
t's actually slightly bigger so why should quality of parts used be worse? I'v noticed it also doesnt have rear air vent the a3 had in a slightly bigger interior. Audi have really gone to town cost cutting with this thing. Disgusting from them!

Well the new Q3 will be the SUV version of the A3 I assume so on the basis that smaller numbers are smaller cars with Audi normally, I'd say Q2 is a smaller SUV.

And margins are smaller on smaller cars so quality is generally a peg below - compare a 5 series to a 3 series to a 1 series (I'm more au fait wuth BMW than Audi range..)

It might not be as good - the general consensus is the latest cars are a bit below prior models (such as the screen from the dash verus the stuck on tablet) but with all due respect it is a case of buyer homework on these things....

Well the new Q3 will be the SUV version of the A3 I assume so on the basis that smaller numbers are smaller cars with Audi normally, I'd say Q2 is a smaller SUV.

And margins are smaller on smaller cars so quality is generally a peg below - compare a 5 series to a 3 series to a 1 series (I'm more au fait wuth BMW than Audi range..)

It might not be as good - the general consensus is the latest cars are a bit below prior models (such as the screen from the dash verus the stuck on tablet) but with all due respect it is a case of buyer homework on these things....

You're missing the point.

Look at a picture of the A3 dash then look at a picture of the Q2 dash they are almost identical to look at, similar size interiors. It's clear Audi based the Q2 on the A3. Price point is slightly higher on the Q2 than the A3, so what exactly am i paying more for?

I don't buy the smaller car is worse argument (it's not actually smaller but hey ho). I had a 2011 A1 and this had better quality plastics in it.

"Q3 will be the SUV version of the A3"

On that token i'd say the Q7 is the SUV version of the what A7 or A8? You can't just look at the number to define where they should fit in mimicking the A car. All i know is the Q2 looks almost indentical to A3 interior and the Q3 certainly doesnt.

Audi have just tried to fool the buyer using cheaper grade materials. It will backfire on the them eventually as people go to Audi for quality interiors and if they dont provide this they will move on to another make.

Well the point is really that you had every opportunity to check but didnt...

I havent studied a Q2 as never been in the market for one (but my partner is awaiting a new A3) - but I do know VW have been slated for the interior quality of the T-Roc which I think is the same underpinnings as the Q2

I hope that the car grows on you - give it time.

Reactions: viperfire
Well the point is really that you had every opportunity to check but didnt...

I havent studied a Q2 as never been in the market for one (but my partner is awaiting a new A3) - but I do know VW have been slated for the interior quality of the T-Roc which I think is the same underpinnings as the Q2

I hope that the car grows on you - give it time.

Yes i did and look at highly specced s line, full nappa, digital speedometer, colour changing dash strip. It gave the impression of better than it was and i trusted Audi. Audi's have never let me down and i put a bit of blind faith in their usual strong interior quality.

I feel Audi are bretraying trusted one brand guys like me. I won't be fooled so easily again.

It is growing on me a little but it's just not as good as the 2015 A3 i let go.

Yes i did and look at highly specced s line, full nappa, digital speedometer, colour changing dash strip. It gave the impression of better than it was and i trusted Audi. Audi's have never let me down and i put a bit of blind faith in their usual strong interior quality.

I feel Audi are bretraying trusted one brand guys like me. I won't be fooled so easily again.

Always ask to see a base car when buying - if it looks ok in cheapest form it will look fine in a better trim. Ended up spending a fair few quid on my late wife's Mini to get the interior trim to be how we thought it should look - the base ones looked VERY cheap.

Q2 should hold its value better than A3 so you may appreciate it more come change time!

Edited to say that I doubt the next A3 will be as nice inside as the current one unless you add lots of extras

Reactions: viperfire
My wife picked up a brand new Q2 1.0 SE, this morning after owning two A3's. She wanted a change and the Q3 was too expensive.

She absolutely loves the Q2, especially the elevated driving position (she's only 5'2").

Reactions: NevMan
Same here. My wife bought a new Q2 Sport last year and she loves it. Agreed that it's not as good a finish inside as my A7, but mine cost a hell of a lot more than hers. I don't think it's that bad to be honest. The door panels do seem a bit cheap though.

Reactions: NevMan and viperfire
Same here. My wife bought a new Q2 Sport last year and she loves it. Agreed that it's not as good a finish inside as my A7, but mine cost a hell of a lot more than hers. I don't think it's that bad to be honest. The door panels do seem a bit cheap though.
The dealer sent a brand new A7 to pick us up, it was incredible!

Reactions: NevMan

It is what it is and aimed at a certain market. Why blame Audi for your error?

All crossover/SUV type cars have a higher centre of gravity than saloon/hatchbacks, so are more inclined to lean in bends.

All Audi MMI screens are fixed now - with the exception of the C7 A6 (whose incoming replacement has a fixed screen) and I think your old A3 (my wife had the pre-facelift one).

Q2 line-up starts about £145 cheaper to buy than A3.

It is what it is and aimed at a certain market. Why blame Audi for your error?

Cuke surely with it costing similar to an A3 and only been ever so slightly bigger it's aimed at A3 owners who are looking to jump ship to a Q car? Therefore it should, imo; adhere to the same quality standards.

The more i have it the more i like it but probably because the A3 is beginning to become a distant memory. I still think the cost cutting measures Audi have done with this car is wrong!

Last edited:
I would have thought the q3 more suitable for a3 owners with the q2 between the a3 and the a1 as its classed as a mini suv and is definately aimed at a younger driver. Can't stand the things myself as a estate will do the same job and handle better. I cannot fathom why anyone would want a pretend 4x4.

I guess many of us don’t see them as pretend 4x4s, never thought of mine that way.

I’ve had spinal surgery and struggle to get into a lower car and the driving position gives me pain.

An SUV allows me to get in and out easily and have a pain free driving position, The same would apply to a family with young kids as they are easier to lift in and out.

Whole host of reasons the segment is popular and has taken sales from the ex MPV market, these cars are the modern day MPVs not 4x4.

I would have thought the q3 more suitable for a3 owners with the q2 between the a3 and the a1 as its classed as a mini suv and is definately aimed at a younger driver. Can't stand the things myself as a estate will do the same job and handle better. I cannot fathom why anyone would want a pretend 4x4.

I like the higher driving position - feels safer on a motorway etc which is where most of my driving is done. The higher seating helps with my aged Mum getting in and out, and putting my grandson in the back.

I find my SQ5 handles pretty well as well...

My son in law had a 440i BMW - guess which car my daughter takes when given the option? There is a growing market for these things for a reason....

Expect flack for my opinion:

I have tried these cars during rentals and loan cars whilst at the dealers. Q2, Q3, Q5 and have to agree with cuke2U that they don't make me want one. I see a car like this and think 4WD useful idea and then so many don't have it and just flounder around during bad weather. The added ride height doesn't make me feel better on the road nor safer - not sure why having a higher COG would make me feel safer? Add in handling that is somewhat wobbly in most cases that just doesn't inspire confidence. A final nail in the coffin for me is that these Audi ranges are to my eye the worst looking of all the Audis. If I chose a car of this type it would be the Skoda Karoq rather than something from the Audi range - and a genuine 4wd version.

Of course those that like them do like them.

Think that's a fair review of your experience and ownership @viperfire and to be honest one of the reasons this place exists. From the comments it seems interior quality is a little to be desired but overall a good car.

Me personally it's an interesting car but i'm not overly a fan of it nor the Q3 either. However I am on my second Q5 so I clearly like that one :p

In the market segment the Q2 falls into pound for pound I reckon the SEAT Arona is the better shout, cheaper so you can cope with the interior, it's still quirky and can be spec'd well.

Had my Q2 for 2 years now,Absolutly loved the A3,but arthritis forced me to look for something with a higher driving position.Not being able to afford a Q3,i opted for the Q2.Glad I did..

Reactions: testcard