1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

Audi POI Special Destinations - Another way to do it

pjeffe9172 Oct 29, 2018

1. pjeffe9172

pjeffe9172 Registered User

Hi Andy, great so pleased it worked for you. In the txt file that it builds as part of the install it seems to delete all previous POIs with the same category so you are ok. I've just recently done this myself and changed the names of the cameras so can confirm it has deleted my old ones.

andy203 likes this.
  2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. andy203

andy203 Q5 Black Edition

Many thanks Phil, great help.

4. Darren McDonnell

Darren McDonnell Registered User

Hi all I have just been looking at this and was hoping it would work on my 2014 MMI. How can i tell if it will work it does have audi connect

5. ST09

ST09 Registered User

Hi All,

Little help please. Anyone with active PocketGPSWorld subscription get me database for Mercedes ( .gpx file/database) for me to try before I renew my two old expired subscription. Currently using https://www.scdb.info database which works fine but their database is not up to date as most cameras on my commute are missing.

Please Help.

Sal

6. lfcrule1972

lfcrule1972 Winter is coming...

Thanks for all the hard work and guides here - v much appreciated.

My wife has an April 2019 Audi Q2 S Line, I've bought the POI subscription, downloaded the Audi POI and installed them via mem card slot 2 in the car.

I can navigate to the speed camera's under Special Destinations, I can also select to view on map, but they don't appear on the sat nav map whilst driving??

Any tips or suggestions gratefully received - I have an A45 AMG and adding speed cameras was a piece of **** on that compared to doing so on the Audi MMI :)

7. cuke2u

cuke2u Well-Known Member

Probably there is a means to do this in the A3 8v forums as the Q2 mmi is different to the one in the A4...

8. lfcrule1972

Ok, I'll have a look there too - I'd thought the Sat Nav stuff was mostly here so sorry if I'm posting in the wrong forum :) TBH I'm bashing my head in trying to work this out, I'm good with tech normally and this is getting silly now, why make it so hard to use Special Destinations in Audi's???

9. Fozzie1960

Fozzie1960 Registered User

Open the file structure and edit with a text editor the file categories.pc so that the zoom level is set to max=30.

10. lfcrule1972

I'm going to try that, however, if it was just the icon issue wouldn't the notification still sound even if the icon isn't visible?

Thanks

11. ST09

ST09 Registered User

Hmmm No One. No worries

12. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

13. mickwillow

mickwillow Registered User

Just been having a go at loading the POI's onto POI Base I notice when loading pocketgps_uk_mobile excel file it loaded exactly 5000 points, so it got me thinking that the max number of point were 5000 too , so I open up the file in excel and saw that there was 7882 entrys,
    It must clip of 2882 camera points which maybe the cameras that u may need just a note !
    So I've just cut and pasted them into pocketgps_uk_p mobile file as it only had 1678 entry's so at leased they will still warn me

14. lfcrule1972

So, after much reading and fiddling in the car, this now works in the Q2, it appears that you need to select all notifications in the MMI to allow it to show the cameras :eek:

cuke2u likes this.
  15. Jigs

Jigs Registered User

New member, after reading this thread. Just wondering if any of you have stuck to the POIBase POI's as they look fairly evenly matched in camera numbers now and appear to show the correct direction they're facing locally?

Is PocketGPS worth the extra as it's more than twice the price?

16. psychopomp1

psychopomp1 Registered User

Hi
    Anyone managed to do this on the Audi A6 C8? On my A6 C8's MMI I cannot find any option to import Special Destinations through USB.
    Cheers

17. theoldschool

theoldschool Registered User

Added speed cameras successfully as per pjeffe9172 excellent post on my old A4 a couple of years ago but when I tried to install them on my new S3 the option to add Audi special destinations was greyed out, however, I discovered that the engine needs to be running when you import them. All good now except I can't find the option to 'play tone when near POI' when near POI.

18. theoldschool

Ah! Found it here:

pyrotenax likes this.
  19. CrashEd

CrashEd Registered User

Anyone done this on an A4 2020 MMI?

Also, is there a free poi database that I could download to test it on before buying the pocket gps world database?

Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
  20. theoldschool

Should be the same as my S3 I added it to successfully yesterday. If you go through the process explained by pjeffe9172 at the beginning of this post you should be able to download some free POIs from https://www.poibase.com/en/download-poibase/ but it should work anyway

21. CrashEd

CrashEd Registered User

Thanks. I can't find any free databases via POIBase, unless you can creat your own or something. Maybe I'll just bite the bullet and give the PocketGPS one a go...

22. CrashEd

CrashEd Registered User

Also, is there a danger of deleteing my existing PIOs by doing this, or will it just append the current PIO database in the car?

23. theoldschool

Try this site: https://poiplaza.com/

24. CrashEd

CrashEd Registered User

Well, that was a waste of £20! Didn't work in my A4 - it just doesn't find the file. I might try using the other USB port, but it's USB C and I don't have an adaptor... Can't see it working though.

Should have known better really. Ah well in for a penny and all that.

25. theoldschool

Try saving the data onto a SD card - all my succesful attempts were using SD rather than USB. I put it into SD2 slot and the MMI found it OK

26. CrashEd

CrashEd Registered User

I don’t think my MY 2020 has an SD slot, unless it’s hidden somewhere. It has one USB A and one USB C port.

27. theoldschool

SD slots are in the glove box (at the top)

28. CrashEd

CrashEd Registered User

Not on mine unfortunately.

29. theoldschool

30. CrashEd

CrashEd Registered User

Can’t see any mention of an SD card in the manual, although it seems pretty generalised for all markets. I’ll try the other USB port when the adaptor arrives.

31. CrashEd

CrashEd Registered User

No dice with the USB C port. Shame.

£20 down the swanny.