Audi Phone Box upgrade for wireless charging

Kreistofer

Reaction score
Hi all,

I just bought a second hand S3 cabriolet (8V). It's a 65 plate MY16. It came with the Technology Pack + Phone Box. It's the version without the built-in Qi wireless charging. Since I have a smartphone that can be charged wirelessly, I would like to upgrade the Phone Box to the more recent model with built-in Qi.

Does somebody happen to know whether this is possible? In theory I guess I would have to swap the "container" under the armrest and deliver power to the built-in Qi charging mat?

I understand an alternative is to plug a 3rd party Qi charger into the USB socket inside the armrest, but if not prohibitely expensive I would prefer having the smartphone laying flat on the rubber mat of the Phone Box itself, rather than rocking about on top of a small separate Qi charger.

As a bonus - and not sure whether this is linked to wireless charging or bluetooth connectivity - I would also love to find a way to enable the feature from the recent Audis providing a voice reminder to pick your phone up when you switch the engine off - as I have already forgotten it a couple of times under the armrest :)

Thanks in advance for you advice.

Regards,

Having done further research on the Internet, it looks like retrofitting a Qi charger is feasible, but it is not plug and play.

I found this article (in Spanish) from a user who is in the process of doing it on his Seat Leon: https://www.audisport-iberica.com/foro/topic/365068-carga-inalámbrica-en-guantera-central/

Based on everything I have been reading so far:
  • The Phone Box "container" needs to be swapped
  • The Qi/aerial module needs to be swapped
  • The AMI connector needs to be swapped
  • The connecting cable needs to be modified

Basically:
  • The pre 2017 container requires a small AMI module inserted and attached from the outside, while the aerial module is inserted and attached from underneath and the connecting cable has 4 pins + aerial.
  • The post 2017 container requires a large AMI module inserted and attached from the inside, while the Qi/aerial module is inserted and attached from the top into a deep internal slot and the connecting cable has 6 pins + aerial

I added some pictures to illustrate the differences:

This is the pre 2017 Phone Box + small AMI​
S l1600

This is a side-by-side comparison of the pre & post 2017 Phone Boxes​
2h7dkyu

This is the post 2017 Phone Box​
Do9szo

This is the post 2017 Phone Box + Qi/aerial module​
AUDI Q2 GA A3 RS3 8V USB Charge

And here are the supporting diagrams (not for the cabriolet - I could not find 2017 drawings for the parts - but the container, aerial module and AMI modules are the same as on the sportback or saloon versions):

This is the pre 2017 Phone Box + aerial module​
K198ao

121dhmx

These are the pre 2017 AMI modules​
14c8w3d

And these are the post 2017 AMI modules​
35ch2kh

Reactions: Spiedhermonkey, TYb and Schizophonic
Hi ALL!
I have had my 2014 S3 fitted with the wireless charging and works PERFECTLY! All work done by Audi Retrofits and believe a video will be posted shortly if not already on YouTube etc...

All the best!

David :yahoo:

Reactions: Spiedhermonkey, -Ju- and Schizophonic
Hi ALL!
I have had my 2014 S3 fitted with the wireless charging and works PERFECTLY! All work done by Audi Retrofits and believe a video will be posted shortly if not already on YouTube etc...

All the best!

That's cool. Was that the only work you did by Ash? Wasn't a genuine solution he did was a special request to make this a one of a kind?

Also I thought Ash was on holiday or still is?

Sent from my ZTE A2017G using Tapatalk

Hi ALL!

All the best!

Thanks for your reply and very interesting to know that you have actually done it, but would you mind giving us more details regarding the modifications that were made?

So far on my side after lots of research I concluded that although it is technically feasible, it is not worth doing on a PFL S3 as I estimate the costs to be around 2-3K if you go the OEM way. Basically, you need to replace the Phone Box + antenna/charging module, the AMI, replace the MIB v1 with a v2 (which as a bonus will give you CarPlay and Android Auto + a few other features) and I think also upgrade the 7" screen if you want to benefit from the higher resolution + 3D capabilites of the new MIB. Mind you, once you have done all that you are then in a position to also get the Virtual Cockpit, although this will probably add an extra 2K to the bill and has a few restrictions versus a factory fitted one...

Did you really go through the costs and hassle of replacing all these components on your car, or was another method used? I understand a much cheaper option is to buy a 3rd party Qi charging module and to use a cigarette lighter connection to power it and then try to find internal space to mount it within the armrest. If you don't have the PhoneBox, it will fit without problem on the underside of the alternative container, but if you do (my case) not sure whether there is enough internal space on the sides?

Anyway, it would be great to learn more about what you have done and whether you had to remortgage your house to do it. I looked on Youtube, but did not find that particular video yet.

Cheers

Basic RMC has been upgraded to MIB2, with the large screen display, controls by gearstick, phone box, Qi wireless charger and USB ports. CarPlay working with audio and visual warnings if you leave the phone plugged in (for CarPlay) or on charge wirelessly (wireless CarPlay does not work/not a feature unfortunately)
Not added virtual cockpit... yet

Reactions: DeeGee68
hi guys,

allow me to step in into this thread.
I have a post 2017 Audi phone box with wireless charging, including USB (charger only) and AUX/In entry.
CarePlay does not appear in my MMI interface.
So here are my questions:
- what is the link of the spare parts screen copies above ?
- do you believe it would be enough to swap the AMI front parts to the one supporting CarPlay ?

Thank you!
Eric

Having done further research on the Internet, it looks like retrofitting a Qi charger is feasible, but it is not plug and play.

I found this article (in Spanish) from a user who is in the process of doing it on his Seat Leon: https://www.audisport-iberica.com/foro/topic/365068-carga-inalámbrica-en-guantera-central/

Based on everything I have been reading so far:
  • The Phone Box "container" needs to be swapped
  • The Qi/aerial module needs to be swapped
  • The AMI connector needs to be swapped
  • The connecting cable needs to be modified

Basically:
  • The pre 2017 container requires a small AMI module inserted and attached from the outside, while the aerial module is inserted and attached from underneath and the connecting cable has 4 pins + aerial.
  • The post 2017 container requires a large AMI module inserted and attached from the inside, while the Qi/aerial module is inserted and attached from the top into a deep internal slot and the connecting cable has 6 pins + aerial

I added some pictures to illustrate the differences:

This is the pre 2017 Phone Box + small AMI​
View attachment 149662

This is a side-by-side comparison of the pre & post 2017 Phone Boxes​
View attachment 149677

This is the post 2017 Phone Box​
View attachment 149678

View attachment 149679

And here are the supporting diagrams (not for the cabriolet - I could not find 2017 drawings for the parts - but the container, aerial module and AMI modules are the same as on the sportback or saloon versions):

This is the pre 2017 Phone Box + aerial module​
View attachment 149683

View attachment 149682

These are the pre 2017 AMI modules​
View attachment 149685

And these are the post 2017 AMI modules​
View attachment 149686

I retrofitted the Qi charger and CarPlay adapter to my PFL already, but couldnt find the proper wiring harness for it, do you happened to have the FL Qi charger wiring harness’ part number? Thx!

Hi both,

Unfortunately I don't have the part numbers. I could only find the pictures I attached and they are not in good enough resolution to read the numbers. The online catalogues I found are up to date until 2015, but then I found issues with 2016 models and could not find any 2017 models. You should try the "looking for parts" sticky thread in this forum.

Anyway, it's more complicated than that. First for CarPlay you need to have a MIB2 system, not just the correct, AMI and harness:
- If you have a PFL car, then you definitely have the older MIB
- If you have a FL car but only with USB charging + AUX AMI, then you might also not have the correct MIB

Aside from MIB2, you also have the question of whether to upgrade the screen and the steering wheel to benefit from all the functions...

As per earlier posts in this thread, this is a complicated and expensive retrofit and I don't think it can be done without the involvement of a professional company - especially since there is at least one protection to be removed to install the MIB2?

Hi both,

Unfortunately I don't have the part numbers. I could only find the pictures I attached and they are not in good enough resolution to read the numbers. The online catalogues I found are up to date until 2015, but then I found issues with 2016 models and could not find any 2017 models. You should try the "looking for parts" sticky thread in this forum.

Anyway, it's more complicated than that. First for CarPlay you need to have a MIB2 system, not just the correct, AMI and harness:
- If you have a PFL car, then you definitely have the older MIB
- If you have a FL car but only with USB charging + AUX AMI, then you might also not have the correct MIB

Aside from MIB2, you also have the question of whether to upgrade the screen and the steering wheel to benefit from all the functions...

As per earlier posts in this thread, this is a complicated and expensive retrofit and I don't think it can be done without the involvement of a professional company - especially since there is at least one protection to be removed to install the MIB2?

I have MIB2, VC, steering wheel everything working on my PFL already, just couldn't find the harness to get the Qi working :p

I have MIB2, VC, steering wheel everything working on my PFL already, just couldn't find the harness to get the Qi working :p

Cool, but surely you got that done by a professional retrofit company, especially VC as it can't be done privately? Can they not get the harness for you or at least the reference?

Well done though, it's a big undertaking to do all this and I hope you found it worthwhile! You seem to have kept the original 800x480 7" screen, maybe because you already benefit from higher resolution through the VC?

Thanks

Assuming i have the right MIB version and not interested in any screen resolution, steering wheel mods, do you believe that swapping the 'front door' and putting a 8V0035708 instead of 8V0035726 (my USB Charger +Aux entry) would make the Audi smartphone display into the MMI ?

Thanks

Assuming i have the right MIB version and not interested in any screen resolution, steering wheel mods, do you believe that swapping the 'front door' and putting a 8V0035708 instead of 8V0035726 (my USB Charger +Aux entry) would make the Audi smartphone display into the MMI ?

To check your MIB, pull it out gently with a couple of trim tools and look at the label on the box. It will tell you exactly what it is.

I guess in theory yes you need to swap the AMI, but you might also need a different harness like larbel. You might also need to change some coding.

Bear in mind I never did this modification myself so I can't give you more info than I found in my research. Personally I gave up for now as with my PFL it would cost a little fortune to do this upgrade.

Thanks

no, if you had the right version then you would have already had the USB ports. You will also need to change the MMI unit

That’s good. I’m just stuck on the 1 wire that comes from the module antenna in the centre armrest, I know where the 1st wire goes(red) to a power source the next 2 Wires go to the mib2 the 4th(brown) is ground and I don’t know where the 5th (white)wire
goes to! Would you or anybody know where it goes to! I think it’s either the fuse box bcm or kessy control unit! My car has keyless entry. Thank u

That’s good. I’m just stuck on the 1 wire that comes from the module antenna in the centre armrest, I know where the 1st wire goes(red) to a power source the next 2 Wires go to the mib2 the 4th(brown) is ground and I don’t know where the 5th (white)wire
goes to! Would you or anybody know where it goes to! I think it’s either the fuse box bcm or kessy control unit! My car has keyless entry. Thank u
Or don’t you need to connect the wite wire anywhere

Silly question: Is it possible to retrofit just the wireless charger in the cradle under the arm rest without being connected to the MMI, just to make it simpler?

Silly question: Is it possible to retrofit just the wireless charger in the cradle under the arm rest without being connected to the MMI, just to make it simpler?

Easier just to hook up a separate Qi charging pad from Anker or similar.

Reactions: DanZ
Hi,
I have Retrofited Audi A3 8V 2015 phone box ( without wireless charging), and cellular amplifier and antenna connection are given as per Elsa, Is there any coding need to change to activate phone box and cellular amplifier?

yes it can be done. simple power and ground will make it charge your phone.

Reactions: DanZ and Arkious
yes it can be done. simple power and ground will make it charge your phone.

Ash, I’m in the process of fitting one of these to my 8P (yes... including the antenna!) but the only thing I’m lacking is the Bluddy harness connector, could you please share the part numbers for the plug I need? I can’t find it anywhere :/

thanks!

A6 one works too!
https://www.ebay.de/itm/OEM-AUDI-A6...153527?hash=item288e2f41b7:g:hhAAAOSwjyZePUPm

Only mib2!!!

https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/4000...earchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/3288...earchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/4000...earchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

Upgrading from mib1 to mib2 requires hacked mib2 for navi, carplay to work. Also the hack removes CP (at least, the radio does not stay silent..)Navi , try to find hacked unit with unlimited maps, altough upgrading maps is differnt then audi, and get some unremoveable errors in vcds. It works great. Carplay and android auto should be working to. Please check b4 buy. Hacking cost 200-250euros.

You can recognise thee mib2 on these numbers: 8v1035xxx.
In the EU only 2 off these can handle VC. So if retrofitting VC is future, you need the 8v1035035 or 8v1035036. The first one has DAB+ radio. USA,... no idea for partnumbers.

If on the hunt for mib2: The q2 mib2 fits the a3. Even with a3 logos in mmi.
Partnumber: 81A035xxx.
VC from q2 fits too. and might be a bit cheaper...

If upgrading from mib1 to mib2 get yourself odis cable (5054 and a win7 laptop)
Odis service is a real help in the puzzle .
Trying to get rid of the errors: Open 5f adaptations and fault codes. From here you going to check all possibilities to reduce the ammount off errors. As odis service has tabs (like in excel) it fast and easy to check if you reduced the number of errors.

Last edited:
whats the part number of the charger?
It’s ok Ash I found the plug I need but I can’t for the life of me find the wiring diagram for the wireless charger. Does anyone have a pin out?

cheers!

p/n is 81a035502

<2016 4 pin (R126)
1 - Terminal 30
2 - Switch-on signal from control unit 1 for information electronics
- J794-
3 - Status signal to control unit 1 for information electronics -
J794-
4 - Terminal 31

>2016 6pin (R126)
1 - Terminal 30
- J794-
J794-
4 - Terminal 31
5 - Wake-up wire to entry and start authorisation control unit -
J518- / onboard supply control unit - J519-
6 - Not used

MMI: (same on facelift and prefacelift)

E - 12-pin connector - T12v-
1 - CAN bus High to multimedia system operating unit - E380- /
display unit for front information display and operating unit
control unit - J685-
2 - Reset to multimedia system operating unit - E380-
3 - Open circuit diagnostic lead
4 - Not used
5 - Switch-on signal to telephone bracket - R126-
6 - CAN bus High, infotainment
7 - CAN bus Low to multimedia system operating unit - E380- /
display unit for front information display and operating unit
control unit - J685-
8 - Reset -J794- from multimedia system operating unit - E380-
9 - Not used
10 - Not used
11 - Status signal from telephone bracket - R126-
12 - CAN bus Low, infotainment

>2016 6pin (R126)
1 - Terminal 30
- J794-
J794-
4 - Terminal 31
5 - Wake-up wire to entry and start authorisation control unit -
J518- / onboard supply control unit - J519-
6 - Not used

This is the 6 pin out for the wireless charger yeah? Thanks very much. Because I won’t be going to any existing car terminals, what is positive and negative terminals? I expect pin 1 is positive since it goes to terminal 30, but I guess pin 4 is negative at terminal 31?

Also, one other question regarding the Antenna amplifier in the boot. It has 3 pins, positive, negative and ‘handy on’. Is the ‘handy on’ a 12v switched live signal from a control module?

terminal 15 is switched 12v
terminal 30 is always live
terminal 31 is gnd

Reactions: Arkious
@Arkious - can you post your answers to help others reading this in the future?

Yes, I just had to test my findings before posting them.

So for the wireless charger, the following is required to enable it to work;

Pin 1 is permanent live
Pin 2 is switched live
pin 4 is ground

As for the amplifier in the rear;

pin 1 is permanent live
Pin 2 is ground
Pin 3 is switched live

Again, all are required for the amplifier to function.

terminal 15 is switched 12v
terminal 30 is always live
terminal 31 is gnd

Thanks as that’s what I found but wasn’t sure if that was a standard. Good to know it is :)

Reactions: JohnM100
wow, expensive to retrofit. especially it was a £295 option i think.

Wouldn't it be easier just to get an aftermarket pad from amazon or ebay.

Yes, I just had to test my findings before posting them.

So for the wireless charger, the following is required to enable it to work;

Pin 1 is permanent live
Pin 2 is switched live
pin 4 is ground

As for the amplifier in the rear;

pin 1 is permanent live
Pin 2 is ground
Pin 3 is switched live

Again, all are required for the amplifier to function.

Thanks as that’s what I found but wasn’t sure if that was a standard. Good to know it is :)
Sorry for digging up this old thread but those who posted and are still around - did you manage to complete the install of OEM wireless charging?
I'm trying to complete an OEM install on my FL RS3 but I cannot find anywhere details of what connections need to be made other than in this thread. In a FL car do I need to connect anything to the MMI system? Looking at getting a hardness from aliexpress.