Audi nav plus options to play music from phone

aspire2010

Reaction score
Hello guys

Just a quick one, got the upgraded audi navigation plus, with the connector plug in the glovvvy(Iphone4 is it?) however i always play from my phone, what have you lot found to be best to use

I guess options are buy an old ipod and put all music on there regualry

Get a sd card and again keep uploading new music to it

Buy a new radio that has bluetooth for it

Whats best lads ?

On that note does the sat nav somehow update itself ever with new maps etc?

If you have the RNS-E with the 'Media' button you can retrofit AMI and couple that with a Tune2Air bluetooth dongle you can stream music over bluetooth.

To get updated maps you have to get a later Audi Nav DVD, these aren't cheap if you buy genuine.

So you have an AMI connector in your glove box (and a cable for iPhone). You can easily find cheap cables on AliExpress/eBay that convert AMI to 3.5mm, mini USB or others.

If you have Wi-Fi in your garage/parking spot, you can try buying a (relatively cheap) old iPhone 4S (must be 4S or newer for new Apple Music to work). You can keep it in the car at all times and sync your music on iTunes via Wi-Fi. -this is what I do and it works like a charm

SD card also works but it's a pain to always remove it to update your library.

Buying a bluetooth dongle as Rob C mentioned can also work well since you can stream music from your phone or just put a USB stick in it.

Last edited:
Bluetooth dongle sounds best but they are usb ? That doesnt plug into the radio

Or do you mean i need to get a ami to usb thing and then we are go?

That will work on the audi radio yes?

Unless you already have a connector like in the first picture, then yes you'll need an AMI to USB or AMI to AUX (3.5mm) cable to connect the dongle in your glove box (second picture).

Attachments

• foto4-6750879852233622566.JPG
    foto4-6750879852233622566.JPG
    207.3 KB · Views: 2,077
  • Audi-A3-8P-Audi-Music-Interface-AMI-with-iPod-iPhone-Cable-for-RNS-E-11-500x440.jpg
    Audi-A3-8P-Audi-Music-Interface-AMI-with-iPod-iPhone-Cable-for-RNS-E-11-500x440.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 2,766
You can get 2 types of factory fitted connections for iPods in the glove box.

1. Where you have the old style iPod connection. You then slide you iPod/iPhone into the dock. This is seen on the head unit as a CD changer so all you get is track 1, track 2 etc.

2. AMI is the other option. This will need a small lead from the AMI unit to connect your device whether it be a iPhone, 3.5mm jack, USB port etc. With the AMI you get full track names, playlists etc. It is the AMI that you can get a Tune2Air bluetooth adapter for and stream your music from your phone and control it from your headunit. AMI only works on the later RNS-E with the 'Media' button.

From the original post I assumed you had the first option. If this is the case you will need AMI retrofitting.

Hope this makes sense / helps

@Rob C Thanks for the clarification.
I assumed he had the second option (like in the picture that I attached earlier). My replies were based on that assumption.

Thanks lads

I have the the second picture scenario, i have the ami to iphone 4 cable already plugged in, i dont have a aux button like you showed, i will check to see if there is a media iption tomorrow, on the radio i know there is a source option however

Does it have to be that tune to air one you specified or can it be any usb bluetooth adapter of amazon?, btw i do have the media button folks

That specific one is unavailable on amazon and on ebay rather expsensive around £65

@m3dragos appologies, I must have been typing my reply while you posted as I didn't see this before.

Regarding the bluetooth adapters, the tune2air is a bit pricey but is known to work. I have no idea if a normal USB bluetooth adapter will work, I'm sure someone else will be able to clarify this.

I think the "standard" bluetooth adapter will work but doubt it will auto sync when you get in the car like the tune2air does. in my opinion it would be a massive pain to have to go to settings and link each time before you drive...

I have tune2air and although not cheap they do work well. if you shop around you can sometimes get a good deal on amazon or other online shopping sites. also used items on eBay very occasionally come up. I've bought 3 now so I'm used to shopping around for them...

Another concern is being able to see the songs on your display and to browse through them with the buttons on your nav and steering wheel.

Tune2air can do that and there are videos on youtube showing how it works.

Others may or may not give you that feature, you will need to do some research about them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: aspire2010
I sucked it up and bought the tune2air you guys suggested

Are there any shops that sell the ami to usb cable? Want one for tomorrow and dont wanna wait for my ebay one to turn up?

If you have the RNS-E with the 'Media' button you can retrofit AMI and couple that with a Tune2Air bluetooth dongle you can stream music over bluetooth.

To get updated maps you have to get a later Audi Nav DVD, these aren't cheap if you buy

Hi rob I have the RnsE with media button what ami cable would I need.

Thanks

Just
Hi rob I have the RnsE with media button what ami cable would I need.

Thanks
Just get the aux - bluetooth receiver.
Works great and its 10-20€.
I got Ugreen and it works great for music streaming and phone calls.

Just

Just get the aux - bluetooth receiver.
Works great and its 10-20€.
I got Ugreen and it works great for music streaming and phone calls.
my rnse is retro fitted but i dont think my aux is active or it sayas it is but when i try to use it with the 3.5mm jack to iphone lead nothing happens