AUDI MMI AND iPOD

johng

Reaction score
I have an A8 with MMI, so no radio head unit and no cassette deck to feed my IPOD into. The Griffin Itrip is practically useless as you cannot lock on to a radio station to get a good enough signal for it to work.

I got tired of waiting for Dension to launch their Gateway 500 ( £ 300) super dooper... fibre optic MMI interface for IPOD, So I bought a £ 20 cable that wires into the TV/TUNER in the boot of my A8. I was a bit sceptical but it works perfectly well and sounds great. If anyone needs some advise , pictures , contacts etc let me know.

That's ok if you have a TV tuner, not all A8's have one. I do have a digital/analogue TV installation in my A8 with TV in motion.

Dension should be with us shortly, can't wait for mine.

Yeah, that's the whole point I could not wait for mine either. So I started looking at alternatives in desperation. I now have my Ipod in the boot and have it controlled by an iclick remote control device from the car, it works perfectly well to stip, comnmence, flick tracks back and forward, sound up and down.

I just have to be a bit more regimented in putting together playlists because I cannot flick albums, genres etc with it in the boot. The Dension will allow all that and more.

Go on spend your £ 300 plus and enjoy it. If its good and meets/exceeds expectations let me know I still might invest.

regards

Johng

Incidently, do you know how to frig the electronics to allow TV tuner while the car is moving, I',m not a speed freak but like to go more than 5 mph from time to time. For the kids to watch the DVD player connected to the Aux input. This dies also over 5 mph.

johng said:
Incidently, do you know how to frig the electronics to allow TV tuner while the car is moving, I',m not a speed freak but like to go more than 5 mph from time to time. For the kids to watch the DVD player connected to the Aux input. This dies also over 5 mph.

I have the tools for that job, I bought it to do mine and charge £75 for it in other cars.

I found a kit for this , not ready yet, so must be made by nephews of Dension !

A6/A8(new) Video in Motion interface CAN
Part num: VIMCANA8
Will allow you to watch a TV picture whilst on the move.
Product type: Video in motion
Availability:Available Soon

No price yet, a company called NAV TV. What is involved and how long does it take for your £ 75 fix, which I hope is negotiable ??

johng

The problem with can bus filters is that they screw up the navigation by removing the speed pulse. The nav has to rely on GPS alone and certainly with the RNS-E, it stops working until the TV is disabled.

My fix on the other hand does not interfere with the speed signal and actually hard codes the car not to switch off the screen when moving.

The tool to do this cost £1000, so I think £75 is reasonable, when most people charge 199 euros for you to ship your control module to them for reprogramming, or most can interfaces cost around 200 euros and require wiring.

email me your telephone on godw275@aol.com.

WE CAN DISCUSS HOW, WHERE AND WHEN YOU COULD DO THE TV IN MOTION FIX FOR ME. PRICE IS OK
JOHNG

Hi Mate, in your earlier post you mentioned that you used the aux input on your tv tuner for your Ipod. Could you let me know where the input is exactly in the boot please.

Can any one advise on how to Get ipod connected to 2001 s8 with mmi tv/satnav. Have read the posts but would like to check if any more up to date info, cheers.

A 2001 S8 doesn't have MMI, the 2001 has RNS-D unless the RNS-E has been retrofitted, still not MMI even though it may say "Audi MMI" when starting up.

The best option is the Dension gateway 100 & CD changer retention, if your happy to lose your CD changer then the Dension Gateway 100 CAN version is the best around.