Audi iPod Lead + RNSE MK1.

No, that's for AMI (Audi Music Interface) which is another device that that cable plugs into

******! So what do i need to link my iPod up to the RNSE?

A standard iPod connection in your glovebox or AMI in your glovebox.

Or AUX in.

The only solution that gives you track names etc. from an Apple device is the AMI unit.

If you can go without the iPod then you can buy SD cards and put your music on them and that will give you track names too.

There are other solutions but I've given you all the OEM solutions I think

Last edited:
Right here's my situation at the moment, i have just bought an RNSE, everything i need to convert single din to double din, i'll be doing this on Saturday morning down at my mates garage, now here's the thing i want to be able to connect the iPod into the car system so i can either buy what i thought would work (above) or go down the route of buying a second hand glove box (bracket has snapped on mine) which has the iPod cradle installed already and the seller has said he will give me the lead to connect to the RNSE, would this connect into my RNSE and show track names etc? I know what you're saying about the SD cards which i will use those also.

Sorry for the essay!

There are 2 types of iPod connection in the glovebox.

The standard very basic one which doesn't display track names, just Track1..Track2 etc.
ipod.jpg

Or AMI which is much more expensive and displays everything
I-Pod-Adapter-Port.jpg

Attachments

• ipod.jpg
    ipod.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 14,083
Thanks for that! So assuming this glove box which i am buying comes with the basic iPod cradle and not the fancy AMI jobby like in the 2nd picture, this will plug into the rear of my RNSE, correct?

:thumbsup:

I wouldn't assume that the glovebox has any type of iPod connectivity at all as quite alot don't. Don't buy one without the correct glovebox insert as you won't be able to fit the iPod unit into it.

I'm not clued up on connectivity, NHN did mine for me but I'm sure you are right and you'll need to code it all in too using VCDS.

i.e. you need one with a gap like this one...

Images

Correct which is the one i am buying complete, when i say complete, i mean the cradle for the iPod dock is already installed in the glove box and he's giving me the lead from the cradle which needs to be connected into the RNSE, so in my tiny mind i'm assuming all this should work, if it needs coding i will have to pop over and see Mr Foster who's a member on here.

Sorry to butt into this thread...but if I added the AMI to my rnse even though it's an older unit I'd still get track names and info up??
Have been lookin for an after market add on to Bluetooth my music through the headunit but if this works then I'd probably go for this...

No, you need a mk2 rns-e for ami to work/display properly.

This seems to be the closest thread I can find to solve my iPhone charging/music problem!!!!

I've just bought a 2007 A4 B7 with the RNS-E Mk1 (with cd/tv button) and a cd changer in the glove box. Can ANYONE tell me what the part number is for the ipod connection box in the glovebox will be (AMI?) so as I can plug my iphone in to charge and use for music?

Am i right in thinking that I can buy the AMI and swap it with the changer - then use head unit to control music?

Please help.....i've spent 4 hours trawling the web!

This seems to be the closest thread I can find to solve my iPhone charging/music problem!!!!

I've just bought a 2007 A4 B7 with the RNS-E Mk1 (with cd/tv button) and a cd changer in the glove box. Can ANYONE tell me what the part number is for the ipod connection box in the glovebox will be (AMI?) so as I can plug my iphone in to charge and use for music?

Am i right in thinking that I can buy the AMI and swap it with the changer - then use head unit to control music?

Please help.....i've spent 4 hours trawling the web!

As mentioned above, The RNS-E Mk1 with cd/tv button will not work with the AMI unit in the glovebox, as you need the MK 2 Unit with Media button. There are units you can add to the Mk1 such as a Dension gateway or Alpine KCE 425i. Not sure how well they would charge an iphone, you may still need an additional converter adapter.

I have been through this issue recently, and unless you can pick up the Alpine unit cheaply, I found it better to source a Mk 2 unit and AMI, which allows to display names and charge my iphone etc, and sell the MK1 unit to offset the cost....