Audi hill-hold assist on 2008 3.0 TDI Quattro

B79MJW

Reaction score
Evening,

I have a early B8; it was a Audi Press car so has every option going at the time. one of which is the Audi hill-hold assist. Now Its great and very useful exprecially in traffic however the early cars from research do not hold onto the fact its turned on and loose the setting when you turn the car off. It seems ridiculous you have to press the button under the handbrake to arm it each time I start the car.

Now from VCDS I've managed to code it to default on drive select to individual; has anyone found a solution to this hill hold issue? (another oversight from and it did not remember what it was last set at only fault to auto for ADS).

Im aware the behaviour was changed in later years to remember in memory if you have the hold assist on until you disarm it. Can anything be forced on VCDS or is it a hardware change that can't be done without changing a module.

Thanks
Mark.

Well, I have a January 2011 build date B8 S4 and its hill hold is really the same, ie it needs switching on if you want to use it at the start of every use of the car, which kind of seems to suit me - I think!

Edit:- my wife's August 2015 VW Polo has a poverty version of Hillhold, and it can not be switched off while driving, which maybe annoys me a bit as I'd like to complete "moving off" faster than the Hillhold will release the brakes, though as it is just a short timed Hillhold I can repeatedly touch the brake pedal to reset its timer it is just the quick "stop look go" situations that reveal its annoying traits.

No, that just cover retro fitting and coding it in to a car that left the factory without AHHA or Hillhold. So if there is an option to change it to defaulting to always "on" that is still not known on this thread - yet!

I have a 2008 A4 3.0 TDI Quattro with auto hill hold and to be honest it suits me to only have to switch it on when i need it - I much prefer this instead of being "on" by default and needing to switch it "off"

I only ever switch it on in heavy stop/start traffic to avoid having to keep my foot on the brake and blinding the driver behind me with the brake lights

There is something fitted to nearly all cars that is used when sitting in traffic, It's called a handbrake. I use mine quite a bit just pull that little switch put the car in neutral and you don't need to sit with your foot on any pedal.
When you pull away it automatically comes off as well.
I am sure most people these days seem to have forgotten that you can do this. The vast majority of people just sit at junctions and traffic lights dazzling the person behind.
And if it happens to be a car with particularly bright LED tail lights it's quite annoying.

Reactions: happytalk73
Well there is the thing desertstorm, I never ever bothered about using AHHA for the first few years that I had my S4, then I read an article somewhere, maybe on this forum?, that statement that you should never under estimate the usefulness of AHHA or basic Hillhold on other marques, especially if you have an electric handbrake, where there is a need to hold the car stationary, the wise option is to use AHHA as the electric handbrake mechanism will last a lot longer if it is used less often. Now that might just have been total BS but it did encourage me to use AHHA a lot more often - where/when appropriate.

I have hill hold assist and I like using it as and when. If I know I'll be creeping up or down hill in town I'll use it and when I'm towing I'll pop it on so the caravan doesn't roll backwards. Otherwise I just leave it off.