Audi glovebox iPod dock not working with RNS-E

Az

Hard slammed!
Reaction score
Hi all,

I posted on here the other week regarding my glovebox cd changer that wasn't fully working with my RNS-E that I recently installed. S8craig filled me in with the problem lying with the cd changer itself as I had a model 'C' and I needed a model 'D'.

So, instead of buying another cd changer I thought I'd invest in an audi glovebox iPod module instead. I bought one off of eBay, part number 8E0 857 925 D, I connected it up tonight and I have nothing on my screen, no way of getting it play anything, it's like it doesn't know there is an iPod module connected to it. When I plugged my iPhone into the dock I get the 'this device is not compatible with an iPhone' message pop up on my phone, so it must have power etc running through it, but it just doesn't work.

Have I ended up buying another non compatible item? My RNS-E was initially out of a 2007 (57) RS4 if that helps as I didn't make a note of the part number before I fitted the Headunit.

I have checked all connections and wires to make sure they are all going to the right place which they all are.

Any help would be much appreciated as it's driving me mad listening to the radio all the time!!

Cheers,
Arron

have u tried a reboot on the pod m8, whilst its plugged in to the car, kinda like the usb being recognised etc

cal

Have you sorted out VCDS coding according to options for Radio System?

What other options are you running?

List of codes

{Instrument Cluster}
Control Module Coding
Select 56 (Radio System) Coding -> Function 07

0?xxxxx: Model
1 - Lamborghini
2 - Audi A3 (8P)
3 - Audi A4 (8E - from MY 2004)
4 - Audi A4 Cabriolet (8E - from MY 2004)
5 - Audi A6 (4B)
6 - Audi TT (8J)

0x?xxxx: Malfunction Diagnosis
0 - Malfunction diagnosis for front loudspeakers active
1 - Malfunction diagnosis for front loudspeakers inactive

0xx?xxx
: Sound Characteristic
0 - linear Sound Characteristic
1 - Audi A4 (8E - from MY 2004)
2 - Audi A6 (4B)
- Audi A4 Cabriolet (8E - from MY 2004)
4 - Audi TT (8J)
- Audi A3 (8P)
9 - Sound System

0xxx?xx: Telephone/Telematic
1 - No Telephone (Remote Feed Voltage for Microphone active)
2 - Base plate (Temic - Remote Feed Voltage for Microphone inactive)
3 - Base plate (Cullmann - Remote Feed Voltage for Microphone inactive)
4 - Base plate (Nokia - Remote Feed Voltage for Microphone inactive)
5 - Telematic Europa (Remote Feed Voltage for Microphone inactive)
6 - Telematic US (Remote Feed Voltage for Microphone inactive)
7 - Base plate diagnostic capable with comfort control

0xxxx?x: Equipment I
1 - No additional Tuner
2 - Digital-Radio
3 - Satellite-Radio
4 - Satellite- and Digital-Radio installed

0xxxxx?: Equipment II
1 - No TV-Tuner, CD-Changer or Multi-Function Steering Wheel
2 - TV-Tuner installed
3 - CD-Changer installed
4 - TV-Tuner and CD-Changer installed
5 - Multi-Function Steering Wheel installed
6 - TV-Tuner and Multi-Function Steering Wheel installed
7 - CD-Changer and Multi-Function Steering Wheel installed
8 - TV-Tuner, CD-Changer and Multi-Function Steering Wheel installed

Last edited:
have u tried a reboot on the pod m8, whilst its plugged in to the car, kinda like the usb being recognised etc

cal

No mate, how do I do that?

Thanks for the coding info, I'm not sure if it has been coded for a cd changer / iPod. I assumed it was as it recognised my old cd changer was connected, it just wouldn't let me select and play the cd's. I was also told that the Headunit can have a cd changer / iPod module connected and it will play straight away but it would cause an error on the Headunit which will be stored until it's cleared by vcds coding.

When you go into CD/TV on the RNS-E, select CD in the top right soft key menu, then hit the top left soft key, do you get just a single CD, 6 Greyed out + Nav CD, or 6 normal + Nav CD?

If you have 6+1 then all comms with the unit are *probably* fine, and its an iPod connection issue - if you haven't got the 6, then something is disconnected.

As far as I know, you can get away without the coding for CD changer, which the iPod dock effectively is, whether you've had a CDC or indeed nothing at all before.

When I press CD/TV, then the top right soft key, then the top left soft key to select 'changer' is highlighted grey so it won't allow me to select it. But when I had my old CD changer connected I used to get 6 grey highlighted cd's, plus the DVD cd, the 6 CD's I obviously couldn't select but it was clear that it knew a changer was connected, but with the iPod dock it's not recognising that its connected at all.

Oh great! That's someone on eBay who has just skanked £55 out of me!

Craig are the iPod modules year or model specific like the cd changers? i.e my old cd changer from my previous RNS-D was no good because the part number ended in 'C' and not 'D' like I needed for the RNS-E? My iPod module ends in 'D' but I read on a US site that the 'D' model iPod modules were for 2008> RNS-E's. I'm not taking that as gospel of course, just curious if it is the same case as the cd changers.

Not really, all Ipod interfaces are the same electrically as they were only introduced when the RNS-E came out they were always compatible.

Ok mate, thanks for that. Looks like I'll be searching for another iPod module or cd changer then! :(