Audi G17 Fuel Additive

kmf

Reaction score
Hello!

Picked up a couple of bottles of the Audi G17 Additive - dealer recommended it every 1000km to avoid carbon build-up + misfires over time. This is due to the quality of petrol in the region.

I usually view additives as unnecessary, but the techs at the garage swear by it (especially on direct fuel injection + turbo cars). Here is what it looks like if you are looking to source it locally:
IMG 20150318 181803

Part No: G-001-780-M3

How much did you pay for it, and where do you live if the quality of the petrol is so poor?

My dealer said that this is the G17 additive

T21V_BXkNaXXXXXXXX_!!431273101.jpg

A little bit confused here :)

Last edited:
How much did you pay for it, and where do you live if the quality of the petrol is so poor?

I live in Kuwait - We have 98RON here, but they did a study, and they found that several stations were offering lower octane fuel. Also, the quality of fuel leads to higher carbon build-up. Local price is around 8KD (25 euros)

My dealer said that this is the G17 additive

T21V_BXkNaXXXXXXXX_!!431273101.jpg

A little bit confused here :)

That's very interesting - could it be just a difference between the size (200vs90ml)? Or possible a different composition for different markets.

Would this be something similar to millers fuel additive, Redex etc. Adds 2 octain levels and has "cleaning" properties.

I live in Kuwait - We have 98RON here, but they did a study, and they found that several stations were offering lower octane fuel. Also, the quality of fuel leads to higher carbon build-up. Local price is around 8KD (25 euros)

That's very interesting - could it be just a difference between the size (200vs90ml)? Or possible a different composition for different markets.
I doubt it because Audi America says this additive can be used every 3000 miles. But yours, every 1000 km? My local dealer said that this is only for A8 W12 engine but I can use it anyway. So the products must be different somehow. And this is exactly for EU market, I think yours too. Make it clean and prevent to be dirty might be the difference?

Found this online:

Part G 001770A2 is multi-purpose additive for otto engine fuels, part of miscellaneous lubricants for Audi and Skoda cars. This multi-purpose additive for otto engine fuels is applied in 145 VAG models for Local Market, USA, Mexico, China, Brazil, South Africa, Argentina, Shanghai and Czech Republic since 1987 till 2015. Average price: 8$

Part G 001780M3 is multi-purpose additive for otto engine fuels, part of miscellaneous lubricants for Skoda and Volkswagen cars. This multi-purpose additive for otto engine fuels is applied in 36 VAG models for Local Market, USA, Mexico, China, Brazil, South Africa, Argentina, Shanghai and Czech Republic since 2004 till 2015. Average price: 17$

I believe that the one I posted is a different/newer formula (1987 vs 2004) - but they serve the same purpose (and regions).

Reactions: terapati
I love Audi and VW's marketing with this and their gearbox oils etc , they stick a part number on it , know one knows exactly what's in it , charge the Earth and people buy it thinking it's the best in the World cause it's oem .

Last edited:
I love Audi and VW's marketing with this and their gearbox oils etc , they stick a part number on it , know one knows exactly what's in it , charge the Earth and people buy it thinking it's the best in the World cause it's oem .

Haha, I agree and don't usually listen to salesperson gibberish - but after taking apart my last 2.0tsi engine due to carbon build-up, I am willing to give this stuff a try.

Appreciate that the OP is in Kuwait and there is a question about petrol quality, but surely in most countries, this isn't required, especially if you use the better quality stuff like Shell Nitro?

Appreciate that the OP is in Kuwait and there is a question about petrol quality, but surely in most countries, this isn't required, especially if you use the better quality stuff like Shell Nitro?

I posted earlier which countries the additive is marketed in according to Audi/VAG "Local Market, USA, Mexico, China, Brazil, South Africa, Argentina, Shanghai and Czech Republic". In addition, some countries are running de-tuned S3s from factory to cope with high-heat (or bad gas?) specification - such as Middle East, Turkey, Australia.

I don't think using this stuff regularly is needed for countries with clean gasoline (98ron+) - However, a quick google search on 'carbon buildup audi' shows that this is an issue on force-induction tsi engines. It wouldn't hurt to run a bottle every once and a while for insurance.

The dealer swears by it, and I got a couple of bottles as good-will when I picked up the car - going to see if it makes any difference in the long run.

Reactions: mister.c.
Hi there

Got my car from the same dealer in Kuwait.

Same was explained by the salesperson, I decided to pass on. Did not want to pay 8KD every two refills.

Nice to see someone from Kuwait too.

1st post here :D

What do you think about octane boosters? They are common here in Turkey and most people are happy with them. When you google, it says kind of a myth but in our circumstances (like having such a poor fuel quality), it might work? We have only Shell Nitro 95+ (actually 95 with additives) here, rest of others are 95 RON by the way.

What do you think about octane boosters? They are common here in Turkey and most people are happy with them. When you google, it says kind of a myth but in our circumstances (like having such a poor fuel quality), it might work? We have only Shell Nitro 95+ (actually 95 with additives) here, rest of others are 95 RON by the way.

From my understanding - the G17 is a additive to clean out carbon build-up (caused by poor gasoline?), not a octane-booster. I wouldn't expect a power boost from running the additive.

From my understanding - the G17 is a additive to clean out carbon build-up (caused by poor gasoline?), not a octane-booster. I wouldn't expect a power boost from running the additive.
You are right about G17. I just wonder if octane boosters would help to protect against carbon build-up process?