Audi extended warranty

WelshWoody83

Reaction score
Hello, just a quick question. Is the Audi extended warranty worth it? I have what is about to become a 3 year old car on May 31st and one of the quotes through Audi for an extended warranty is £279 for 1 year for all named parts? I've never had one before, never been asked.

I have it on my car you’ve done the right thing getting a quote a week before renewal I tried a month before and it was 50% more expensive!

I'd go for the all components cover, even if you take the £250 excess.
Imo there's too much small print and wiggle room if you go named components to have complete peace of mind.

Reactions: AdamInKent, S32B, Bells and 1 other person
I’m with -Ju- on this. A recent “Warranty Rejected” thread started by JM-Darcy illustrates the point only too clearly. Failed swirl flaps inside the inlet manifold were deemed by Audi to not be an internal part of the engine under their strict interpretation of named parts, and the claim was rejected. Cost nearly £800.

You’re joking?
Nope it was being paid for by the selling dealer as they miss sold me the length of the warranty with the car when they first checked the 15k no excess in was over £700 and because of lockdown they I had to buy it and they then paid me when I searched for it it was a bit over £300 !

Hello, just a quick question. Is the Audi extended warranty worth it? I have what is about to become a 3 year old car on May 31st and one of the quotes through Audi for an extended warranty is £279 for 1 year for all named parts? I've never had one before, never been asked.

Take out the warranty. My S3 was 3 months out of warranty, and the engine went POP !

Audi could have washed their hands as the car was out of warranty. Thankfully for me the gave me a brand new engine, but (because it was out of warranty) I had to pay my local dealer to fit it. With a warranty, fitting would have been included. Total bill over £18,000

I took a chance, as I thought I'd be ok. Lesson learnt. I'll always have a warranty on any future car from now on.

Reactions: JonChalk
Take out the warranty. My S3 was 3 months out of warranty, and the engine went POP !

Audi could have washed their hands as the car was out of warranty. Thankfully for me the gave me a brand new engine, but (because it was out of warranty) I had to pay my local dealer to fit it. With a warranty, fitting would have been included. Total bill over £18,000

I took a chance, as I thought I'd be ok. Lesson learnt. I'll always have a warranty on any future car from now on.

I'm assuming you would never remap your car with the risk of losing your warranty?

Definitely get the warranty, Audi’s are usually expensive to fix if something goes wrong. I would always take the full component cover too as there isn’t much price difference and it’ll give you full piece of mind.

My Dad took the cover out on his A3 and 2 weeks later he developed a lighting fault, turned out to be a faulty computer unit along with a headlight controller, total including labour came to over £2000, he only had to pay his £100 excess and I think the whole policy for the year was under £250.

I’ll certainly be taking out cover if I keep my S3 once the used approved warranty expires.

Reactions: JonChalk
He must be because mine was the same online quote..
But yes well worth the cost of piece of mind...

Extended warranty prices are not calculated properly until you are in the final month of your existing warranty. Outside of the final month of warranty then you are quoted probably 50% higher than it will be if you get a quote in the final month. I started a thread ages ago about this and showed what I found. Basically, if you are out of warranty or not within the final month of your existing warranty then the website gives you a quote of almost double. Not sure why, but it’s a fact that it does. Also, the 4th year is X but usually the 5th year is cheaper. You can now get an extended warranty past yr 5 which has only come in recently.

My findings where that the Audi warranty was the cheapest and best overall of any extended warranty offered for an Audi. Get the fullest cover you can imho. @WelshWoody83 is that price all in, full cover with £0 excess? If so then it’s really cheap.

https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/audi-extended-warranty-wtf.307569/

Last edited:
Extended warranty prices are not calculated properly until you are in the final month of your existing warranty. Outside of the final month of warranty then you are quoted probably 50% higher than it will be if you get a quote in the final month. I started a thread ages ago about this and showed what I found. Basically, if you are out of warranty or not within the final month of your existing warranty then the website gives you a quote of almost double. Not sure why, but it’s a fact that it does. Also, the 4th year is X but usually the 5th year is cheaper. You can now get an extended warranty past yr 5 which has only come in recently.

My findings where that the Audi warranty was the cheapest and best overall of any extended warranty offered for an Audi. Get the fullest cover you can imho. @WelshWoody83 is that price all in, full cover with £0 excess? If so then it’s really cheap.

I took your earlier comment as saying it was 50% cheaper to extend in the final week of the final month rather than the first 3 weeks of it...

Having just extended in the first week of the final month I thought I could have saved half of £446!

£279 does sound cheap I’m guessing with £250 excess?

Last edited:
I took your earlier comment as saying it was 50% cheaper to extend in the final week of the final month rather than the first 3 weeks of it...

Having just extended in the first week of the final month I thought I could have saved half of £446!

£279 does sound cheap I’m guessing with £250 excess?

£279 sounds cheap if it’s an S3 but my bet is that @WelshWoody83 has an A3. Mine was a 1.6tdi A3, when I took out my 4th year policy the cheapest was £200, it was £380 before I entered the final month/few weeks of my normal 3yr policy. I went with full cover £0 excess for £400 which was near £1k right before the final month threshold. This price went down in the following year. Final week or final 3weeks I dont think matters, I think I extended it in the final days. You just need to get it done before it expires.

@The_Ironist at £446 I would have thought you have gone £0 excess and full cover and have an S3?

Last edited:
I'd go for the all components cover, even if you take the £250 excess.
Imo there's too much small print and wiggle room if you go named components to have complete peace of mind.
^^^THIS^^^ certainly after recent posts on here! Even if you go for the biggest excess to bring the price lower.

Out of interest had an indy or main dealer serviced the car? Just wondering if they are so forth coming if it's been indy serviced.

lol I was waiting for your reply :icon thumright: bet you think "Oh no not another one"??? :)

Reactions: Ormesome
I have it on my car you’ve done the right thing getting a quote a week before renewal I tried a month before and it was 50% more expensive!

£279 sounds cheap if it’s an S3 but my bet is that @WelshWoody83 has an A3. Mine was a 1.6tdi A3, when I took out my 4th year policy the cheapest was £200, it was £380 before I entered the final month/few weeks of my normal 3yr policy. I went with full cover £0 excess for £400 which was near £1k right before the final month threshold. This price went down in the following year. Final week or final 3weeks I dont think matters, I think I extended it in the final days. You just need to get it done before it expires.

@The_Ironist at £446 I would have thought you have gone £0 excess and full cover and have an S3?

I got offered £19,850 for my car yesterday (buy it price no px), I currently owe £20k on it, so it's not a bad buy if I decided to buy it and keep it for another 12 months! I was going to order an ST but it's touch and go if they can get me one before this goes back in september, so I've just checked the warranty price/time of buying!

I looked up some 17 plate Polo GTi's (easiest to find), all with the same spec and miles. This backs up everything that's been said :)

This quote is for a car that was registered in March and also for the one that was registered in early May 2017:

March reg

This quote is for a car that was registered in late May and also for the one that was registered in June 2017:

May reg

So certainly backs up the buying in the last few weeks before it ends :thumbs up: Virtually 50% less! Certainly food for thought.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ormesome
Out of interest had an indy or main dealer serviced the car? Just wondering if they are so forth coming if it's been indy serviced.

Main dealer only. I think that's what swung it TBH. Had only been serviced there 2 month previously.

Reactions: S32B
Main dealer only. I think that's what swung it TBH. Had only been serviced there 2 month previously.
Stroke of luck then :) I assume the extended warranty would be the same as the normal warranty in the way that even if using an indy, as long as things have been done when they should, it should be fine for any claim!?!?

My extended warranty is due to come to an end at the end of the month and i have the option to extend it for a further 12months

i am wanting to get my car remapped in the future, so my question is. Is it still worth extending the warranty knowing that if i do get it remapped the engine warranty would be voided but the rest of the car would still be covered?

My extended warranty is due to come to an end at the end of the month and i have the option to extend it for a further 12months

i am wanting to get my car remapped in the future, so my question is. Is it still worth extending the warranty knowing that if i do get it remapped the engine warranty would be voided but the rest of the car would still be covered?
Good idea in theory the only issue being with the engine being such a key part of the car remapping would void a lot of associated components that run off it like the drivetrain, gearbox, turbos etc that are all the big bills if they go wrong and obviously Audi will say they won’t cover it.

However, if you electric seats stop working or your headlights fail you’ll be fine and could claim. Guess it depends whether you think it’s worth paying the premium for what few components the rest of the warranty will be valid for.

Just had my car in with an issue, finally found it after 16 weeks, the final bill was north of £10K (S Tronic clutch pack fault)

I'm glad I took the extended warranty out, best £300 I ever spent :grinning:

Reactions: S32B, Mr Freeze, pburv and 1 other person
Just had my car in with an issue, finally found it after 16 weeks, the final bill was north of £10K (S Tronic clutch pack fault)

Audi were robbed!...lol
Great result mate:icon thumright:

Reactions: Bells, mikemod and Mr Freeze

My car is back in for warranty on the 3rd of oct with a drivers seat issue the parts alone are nearly £1100
it is a scary thought having an Audi with no warranty .

Reactions: pburv
My car is back in for warranty on the 3rd of oct with a drivers seat issue the parts alone are nearly £1100
it is a scary thought having an Audi with no warranty .
I had an issue with the haldex pump when my car was around two years old. It was replaced but I can't remember what it would've cost? I bet it wasn't cheap. Like you said expensive without warranty.

Reactions: Mr Freeze
Just in case anyone is interested. My S3 manufacturer warranty will expire within the next 3 weeks. Quote from Audi to extend came through today, all components cover with £100xs is £372 (zero xs is £446 and £250xs is £297).

Seems reasonable to me. The prices for names components is only marginally cheaper and not worth bothering with in my opinion.

Just in case anyone is interested. My S3 manufacturer warranty will expire within the next 3 weeks. Quote from Audi to extend came through today, all components cover with £100xs is £372 (zero xs is £446 and £250xs is £297).

Seems reasonable to me. The prices for names components is only marginally cheaper and not worth bothering with in my opinion.

Its defiantly worth getting the extended warranty I'll be getting it if I keep my car past 3 years old .

Reactions: Bells
Its defiantly worth getting the extended warranty I'll be getting it if I keep my car past 3 years old .
100% worth every penny, parts are so expensive. I’d never have no warranty on my car, it’s worth it for the piece of mind alone.

I recently had to get my Virtual Cockpit replaced due a few faulty pixels at only 2 1/2 years old and 15k miles, luckily covered under warranty or it would have cost just shy of £2500 for the parts. Shame the ‘brand new’ one they fitted was also faulty, so they’ve ordered another one, they couldn’t believe it when I walked straight back into the dealership after picking it back up :sweatsmile:

Reactions: Mr Freeze and pburv
I've found if you leave it to a week before expire you get the best price I saved 50% by leaving it !

Reactions: AdamInKent and pburv
I've found if you leave it to a week before expire you get the best price I saved 50% by leaving it !
In the last month/30 days it will drop by 50%, but if you let it expire just one day it goes back up!

Reactions: pburv
Mine runs out a month today so I have just been on their website and after inputting the registration number it says;

"Your vehicle is still covered by your Warranty."

And doesn't appear to let me go any further - have I missed something?

Mine runs out a month today so I have just been on their website and after inputting the registration number it says;

I'd give it a few days to update as it definitely drops in the last month.
The audi owners website has been constantly under maintenance for months now.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

The extended warranty has to be purchased when the car is new. Certainly that’s what Audi say.

The extended warranty has to be purchased when the car is new. Certainly that’s what Audi say.
Not true, you can purchase an extension as part of the original order from New (which is generally the cheaper alternative) but you can also continue the warranty on after the 3 years is done with various options I.e. excess and protection level.
This can be purchased after the warranty has expired too but is generally double what you would pay just before it expires

Reactions: Bells

It will let you do it when you are in the last full month of the standard warranty try after midnight tonight. Also remember it doesn't include the breakdown cover, you need to go here for that https://www.roadsidecover.com/Audi £89 for a year or £145 for 2 years, the breakdown cover can be moved to the new owner if you sell the car, the warranty can't, but you can get a pro rata refund on it.

No it doesn't, I bought mine just before my car was 3 years old. As said above if bought new it probably works out cheaper, but most people probably didn't intend to keep their cars over 3 years! I didn't anyway :)

Warranty

Oh and for anyone who is wondering about the servicing side/warranty:

I asked the following:

Question

Their reply:

Email

I knew the answer to the question, but now I have it saved in an email just in case!!! ;)

Reactions: pburv and Bells
Not true, you can purchase an extension as part of the original order from New (which is generally the cheaper alternative) but you can also continue the warranty on after the 3 years is done with various options I.e. excess and protection level.
This can be purchased after the warranty has expired too but is generally double what you would pay just before it expires
I can assure you! Audi would NOT let me purchase an extended warranty on 3 of my cars all due to the extended warranty not being purchased when new! All separate dealerships in different parts of the country and Audi UK stating this! Unless it’s changed in the last year.

I can assure you! Audi would NOT let me purchase an extended warranty on 3 of my cars all due to the extended warranty not being purchased when new! All separate dealerships in different parts of the country and Audi UK stating this! Unless it’s changed in the last year.
I'm not doubting that's what you've been told, this certainly says different though.
https://www.insurewithaudi.co.uk/extended-warranty

You used to be able to extend the full manufacturers warranty from 3 years to either 4 or 5 years when you purchased the car new. I think they stopped this a year or two ago.

I'm pretty sure the Audi extended warranty you buy at the the end of the 3 year manufacturers warranty does not give quite the same level of cover. Worth reading the words carefully.

The Audi used car warranty is definitely not as extensive as the manufacturers original cover.

You used to be able to extend the full manufacturers warranty from 3 years to either 4 or 5 years when you purchased the car new. I think they stopped this a year or two ago.
No, just been on their site to build a car. Still there to add either 4 or 5 years:

Warranty exten