1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

Audi extended warranty

WelshWoody83 May 26, 2020

1. WelshWoody83

WelshWoody83 Registered User

Hello, just a quick question. Is the Audi extended warranty worth it? I have what is about to become a 3 year old car on May 31st and one of the quotes through Audi for an extended warranty is £279 for 1 year for all named parts? I've never had one before, never been asked.

2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. jrumball

jrumball Registered User

I have it on my car you’ve done the right thing getting a quote a week before renewal I tried a month before and it was 50% more expensive!

4. The_Ironist

The_Ironist Registered User

You’re joking?

5. -Ju-

-Ju- Well-Known Member VCDS Map User

I'd go for the all components cover, even if you take the £250 excess.
    Imo there's too much small print and wiggle room if you go named components to have complete peace of mind.

S32B, Bells and Mikeso51 like this.
  6. Mikeso51

Mikeso51 Registered User

I’m with -Ju- on this. A recent “Warranty Rejected” thread started by JM-Darcy illustrates the point only too clearly. Failed swirl flaps inside the inlet manifold were deemed by Audi to not be an internal part of the engine under their strict interpretation of named parts, and the claim was rejected. Cost nearly £800.

7. jrumball

jrumball Registered User

Nope it was being paid for by the selling dealer as they miss sold me the length of the warranty with the car when they first checked the 15k no excess in was over £700 and because of lockdown they I had to buy it and they then paid me when I searched for it it was a bit over £300 !

8. wab172uk

wab172uk Now in an X3 M40i

Take out the warranty. My S3 was 3 months out of warranty, and the engine went POP !

Audi could have washed their hands as the car was out of warranty. Thankfully for me the gave me a brand new engine, but (because it was out of warranty) I had to pay my local dealer to fit it. With a warranty, fitting would have been included. Total bill over £18,000

I took a chance, as I thought I'd be ok. Lesson learnt. I'll always have a warranty on any future car from now on.

JonChalk likes this.
  9. AudiBoss

AudiBoss Registered User

I'm assuming you would never remap your car with the risk of losing your warranty?

10. cuke2u

cuke2u Well-Known Member

He must be because mine was the same online quote..
    But yes well worth the cost of piece of mind...

11. wab172uk

No. Not now. Have done in the past though.

12. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

13. Bells

Bells Registered User

Definitely get the warranty, Audi’s are usually expensive to fix if something goes wrong. I would always take the full component cover too as there isn’t much price difference and it’ll give you full piece of mind.

My Dad took the cover out on his A3 and 2 weeks later he developed a lighting fault, turned out to be a faulty computer unit along with a headlight controller, total including labour came to over £2000, he only had to pay his £100 excess and I think the whole policy for the year was under £250.

I’ll certainly be taking out cover if I keep my S3 once the used approved warranty expires.

JonChalk likes this.
  14. Ormesome

Ormesome Registered User

Extended warranty prices are not calculated properly until you are in the final month of your existing warranty. Outside of the final month of warranty then you are quoted probably 50% higher than it will be if you get a quote in the final month. I started a thread ages ago about this and showed what I found. Basically, if you are out of warranty or not within the final month of your existing warranty then the website gives you a quote of almost double. Not sure why, but it’s a fact that it does. Also, the 4th year is X but usually the 5th year is cheaper. You can now get an extended warranty past yr 5 which has only come in recently.

My findings where that the Audi warranty was the cheapest and best overall of any extended warranty offered for an Audi. Get the fullest cover you can imho. @WelshWoody83 is that price all in, full cover with £0 excess? If so then it’s really cheap.

https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/audi-extended-warranty-wtf.307569/

Last edited: May 27, 2020
  15. The_Ironist

The_Ironist Registered User

I took your earlier comment as saying it was 50% cheaper to extend in the final week of the final month rather than the first 3 weeks of it...

Having just extended in the first week of the final month I thought I could have saved half of £446!

£279 does sound cheap I’m guessing with £250 excess?

Last edited: May 28, 2020
  16. Ormesome

Ormesome Registered User

£279 sounds cheap if it’s an S3 but my bet is that @WelshWoody83 has an A3. Mine was a 1.6tdi A3, when I took out my 4th year policy the cheapest was £200, it was £380 before I entered the final month/few weeks of my normal 3yr policy. I went with full cover £0 excess for £400 which was near £1k right before the final month threshold. This price went down in the following year. Final week or final 3weeks I dont think matters, I think I extended it in the final days. You just need to get it done before it expires.

@The_Ironist at £446 I would have thought you have gone £0 excess and full cover and have an S3?

Last edited: May 28, 2020
  17. WelshWoody83

WelshWoody83 Registered User

Sorry for for the delayed reply, its £279 with £250 excess

Ormesome likes this.
  18. S32B

S32B Registered User

^^^THIS^^^ certainly after recent posts on here! Even if you go for the biggest excess to bring the price lower.

Out of interest had an indy or main dealer serviced the car? Just wondering if they are so forth coming if it's been indy serviced.

lol I was waiting for your reply :icon thumright: bet you think "Oh no not another one"??? :)

Ormesome likes this.
  19. S32B

S32B Registered User

I got offered £19,850 for my car yesterday (buy it price no px), I currently owe £20k on it, so it's not a bad buy if I decided to buy it and keep it for another 12 months! I was going to order an ST but it's touch and go if they can get me one before this goes back in september, so I've just checked the warranty price/time of buying!

I looked up some 17 plate Polo GTi's (easiest to find), all with the same spec and miles. This backs up everything that's been said :)

This quote is for a car that was registered in March and also for the one that was registered in early May 2017:

March reg.jpg

This quote is for a car that was registered in late May and also for the one that was registered in June 2017:

May reg.jpg

So certainly backs up the buying in the last few weeks before it ends :thumbs up: Virtually 50% less! Certainly food for thought.

Last edited: May 29, 2020
    Ormesome likes this.
  20. wab172uk

Main dealer only. I think that's what swung it TBH. Had only been serviced there 2 month previously.

S32B likes this.
  21. S32B

S32B Registered User

Stroke of luck then :) I assume the extended warranty would be the same as the normal warranty in the way that even if using an indy, as long as things have been done when they should, it should be fine for any claim!?!?

22. Henda

Henda Registered User

My extended warranty is due to come to an end at the end of the month and i have the option to extend it for a further 12months

i am wanting to get my car remapped in the future, so my question is. Is it still worth extending the warranty knowing that if i do get it remapped the engine warranty would be voided but the rest of the car would still be covered?

23. Bells

Bells Registered User

Good idea in theory the only issue being with the engine being such a key part of the car remapping would void a lot of associated components that run off it like the drivetrain, gearbox, turbos etc that are all the big bills if they go wrong and obviously Audi will say they won’t cover it.

However, if you electric seats stop working or your headlights fail you’ll be fine and could claim. Guess it depends whether you think it’s worth paying the premium for what few components the rest of the warranty will be valid for.

S32B likes this.
  24. mikemod

mikemod Registered User

Just had my car in with an issue, finally found it after 16 weeks, the final bill was north of £10K (S Tronic clutch pack fault)

I'm glad I took the extended warranty out, best £300 I ever spent :grinning:

S32B, Mr Freeze, pburv and 1 other person like this.
  25. pburv

pburv Registered User

Audi were robbed!...lol
    Great result mate:icon thumright:

mikemod and Mr Freeze like this.
  26. Mr Freeze

Mr Freeze Registered User

My car is back in for warranty on the 3rd of oct with a drivers seat issue the parts alone are nearly £1100
    it is a scary thought having an Audi with no warranty .

pburv likes this.
  27. pburv

pburv Registered User

I had an issue with the haldex pump when my car was around two years old. It was replaced but I can't remember what it would've cost? I bet it wasn't cheap. Like you said expensive without warranty.

Mr Freeze likes this.