Audi Extended warranty - anyone done it?

scotty76

Reaction score
My S4 is out of warranty next month. I thought I'd have a quick look at the official Audi Extended Warranty. I have a deep unease about warranties not being worth the paper they are printed on (which is worth even less these days as it's a PDF). :D

The main cover I'd be looking for is the S-tronic gearbox but I'm still on the fence about whether it's worth it.

As I know we all like a good nosey at prices here's the numbers for my June 2014 S4 with 27,000 covering for less than 10k miles a year:

All Components Cover (£0 excess): £1,102.46
All Components Cover (£100 excess): £917.12
All Components Cover (£250 excess): £731.77

Named Component Cover (£0 excess): £792.85
Named Component Cover (£100 excess): £663.39
Named Component Cover (£250 excess): £515.92

Booklet is here: https://insurewithaudi.co.uk/media/1070/31848_audi_extended_warranty_policy_jan2018_nav_v5.pdf

Named Component would seem to cover the gearbox against...
We will pay for the costs of repairing or replacing the factory fitted mechanical and electrical components of your vehicle listed below that have suffered sudden failure during the period of cover subject to the maximum claim limit and the terms and conditions of this policy.

So, anyone done it? Anyone had a successful claim?

I have a 2011 2.0TFSi Black Edition Quattro and I did unlimited mileage no excess on 68k miles and it was around 600 for the year. Not had to make a claim as of yet, but it was the ALL COMPONENTS cover so don't envisage any issues. I was torn between all components and named components as the stronic is covered in named components and I'm fairly spanner handy but as my car has a few expensive options like xenons, B&O sound, rear camera, sunroof etc I didn't want to risk it and it was only about 100 quid more

Reactions: scotty76
Thanks @the_muzza I did manage to get a Xenon replaced a couple of months back on the original year 4 extended warranty.

Mine is up at the end of June. I’ve received an invitation from my supplying dealer to take out a fourth year warranty. It’s not Audi backed, it’s dealer-branded and supplied by a third party warranty company. Cost is only £349, but as I’ve had the car remapped, I need to check what would be excluded before I decide.

Wow you guys with the S4's get a rough deal on the warranty!
I've just extended my S3 and it came in at £446 with all components covered and no excess, I'm not sure I could stomach a grand.
I would say though, as warranties go, it is probably the best one for your Audi.
I had a new gearbox on my last 8P S3 which was bought approved used. It was only a strange very slight whirring noise on a couple of gearchanges and they put a new box in.
I was all set to go stage 2 on this one as I have all the bits, but I've decided to put that on ice for now

@-Ju- that's what I'm thinking. It's either Audi or nothing. I can't be bothered with the gamble of a 3rd party one.

Reactions: NevMan
Mine is up at the end of June. I’ve received an invitation from my supplying dealer to take out a fourth year warranty. It’s not Audi backed, it’s dealer-branded and supplied by a third party warranty company. Cost is only £349, but as I’ve had the car remapped, I need to check what would be excluded before I decide.
You wouldn't be covered by the official one...

The following vehicles are excluded from this policy:
• Vehicles modified from the manufacturer’s specification.

:(

Reactions: NevMan and jdp1962
I think a 3rd party warranty imo would be a gamble and it's not something that would sit too well in my mind, even if it was half the price.
I'd say you where right, Audi warranty or nothing.......which would probably be nothing if it was me at that price!

I have the all component cover on my B8 RS4. I went for under 15k miles £250 excess and it was from memory about £1350.
Read the small print on the named cover as I don't believe it covers consequencial failures. So if a hose split and caused another major component failure it would only cover the hose.
That is how I understood it, as I say check and make sure you are happy.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I looked into taking out a warranty on my 2010 S4 because I was worried about having gearbox issues. I looked at third party warranties and they were quoting me over £1000 at the time. Read that a lot of them had same print that meant it would be harder to claim.

I just thought I’d try Audi and managed to somehow take out an Audi warranty on my B8 S4 even though I’d bought it from an independent dealer and the original warranty had expired. At the time it was £665, all components, less than 10k and with £250 excess.

I recieved my renewal letter last month, expecting it to be over £1000 what with the age of the car and surprisingly, it went down! £375 for the same level of cover!

Reactions: scotty76 and -Ju-
All Components Cover (£0 excess): £1,102.46 - No thanks
All Components Cover (£100 excess): £917.12 - No thanks
All Components Cover (£250 excess): £731.77 - No thanks

Named Component Cover (£0 excess): £792.85 - No thanks
Named Component Cover (£100 excess): £663.39 - No thanks
Named Component Cover (£250 excess): £515.92 - No thanks

MRC stage 2 & gearbox remap: £who cares? - Yes please!

Reactions: Chets, NevMan and jdp1962
blimey thats a lot! hoping it will be a lot less for mine next year

If you still have an audi warranty in place the price quoted on the site is lower than if the warranty had expired. I had to call them as my quoted price seemed high. They verified the warranty and the website price dropped by over £200 for the cover I required.

Last day for this and mysteriously the numbers have gone down.

£375.48 for all component cover and £250 excess
or
£306.33 for named component and £250 excess

are the two I'm considering. I have no idea why on the last day it is suddenly £356 cheaper for the all component! Cheeky beggars. I would not be doing this at all if it wasn't for the gearbox. :(

So confused, don't know what to do!

Just put the money away in bank account each month as if you were paying for the warranty.

Then if something goes wrong, you have the money. If nothing goes wrong, you have the extra cash.

Winner both ways.

@Sippo you're not wrong but the £12k for a new gearbox is the bit that would take some saving up for!!

Reactions: WesT-gefül and NevMan
That's an extreme case, and you would hope Audi would contribute towards that.

It's that insurance feeling, but sometimes it can be a waste...

I’d go all in for that price. Peace of mind is well worth that, and audi won’t contribute if out of warranty, been there, tried that and had a £2k offering off the £12k...despite car history and servicing with them for years...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it is a no brainer for that sort of money!
It is not a lot of money for the peace of mind it would give.

So predictably I caved. £31.29 a month for all components seemed good enough. Thanks all!

Reactions: Keef
Keef you are terrible. That's your answer to everything. :D I seem to recall you dodged the last service that way!!

Hmm, I am the same ♂️

Last day for this and mysteriously the numbers have gone down.

£375.48 for all component cover and £250 excess
or
£306.33 for named component and £250 excess

are the two I'm considering. I have no idea why on the last day it is suddenly £356 cheaper for the all component! Cheeky beggars. I would not be doing this at all if it wasn't for the gearbox. :(

So confused, don't know what to do!

For that price I would go for it Or P/X and chuck the £350 odd towards deposit

So predictably I caved. £31.29 a month for all components seemed good enough. Thanks all!

A good shout for that money, and as you say £30 odd p/m

I got a quote today for all components, £375. I think that’s pretty good; just a shame I’m not eligible for it. :neutral:

If you have no plans to tune then that was definitely the right decision.

After a lot of thought and dither, I have just clicked to take out the extended warranty provided by the Marshall Group. £349, and it covers modified cars.

Can you share info on that?
@Dippy , I wish I could, but a hiccup has arisen, and now it's no longer so clear cut. The brochure I received inviting me to take the warranty, at section 11, said the following:

"This warranty does not cover the following:
d: Repairs to vehicles which have been modifed and that modification has contributed to the failure or has failed itself."

That would have put this warranty on a broadly similar footing to the factory one, in that anything unrelated to the mod would be covered but anything found or deemed to be connected to it wouldn't. I would have been comfortable with that, so I went online and bought the cover. I was then sent a policy document which has rather different wording. It says, agasin at section 11:

"This warranty does not cover the following:
"d: Repairs, replacements or alterations not authorised by Car Care Plan or experimental equipment or routine servicing or maintenance of a vehicle which has been modified from the manufacturer’s original specification."

That's extremely unclear in itself, and of course very different from what I relied on when I made the decision to buy. Better yet, the FAQ section of the website has a question on whether modifed cars are eligible for the policy, and it simply says no.

I've got some personal stuff to attend to tomorrow, but come 9am on Tuesday, I will be on the phone to them, cancelling the purchase and getting my money back. I'm not prepared to buy something and then face the prospect of an argument about whether the car's even eligible for the warranty at all, far yet whether a specific fault or failure is covered under a valid claim.

Then maybe a call to the FCA about misrepresentation. :)

I'll be honest I would have been surprised if it had covered mods.
The extended warranty that Audi offers tends to be the best cover or at least equal to any other warranty. The one big difference is there tends to be less arguments about whether they will pay out. I know you are dealing with a third party insurance company still but the person at your dealership will understand the policy and how far they can push the cover.
Don't forget the level of goodwill that can be added to help the claim.

"d: Repairs, replacements or alterations not authorised by Car Care Plan or experimental equipment or routine servicing or maintenance of a vehicle which has been modified from the manufacturer’s original specification."

That's extremely unclear in itself, and of course very different from what I relied on when I made the decision to buy. Better yet, the FAQ section of the website has a question on whether modifed cars are eligible for the policy, and it simply says no.

I've got some personal stuff to attend to tomorrow, but come 9am on Tuesday, I will be on the phone to them, cancelling the purchase and getting my money back. I'm not prepared to buy something and then face the prospect of an argument about whether the car's even eligible for the warranty at all, far yet whether a specific fault or failure is covered under a valid claim.

Then maybe a call to the FCA about misrepresentation. :)

Thanks. I had expected something like the first wording - I'd not have been interested because that excludes the whole engine (including cats) and transmission through to wheel bearings, and even the brakes. Then there's the risk that in their ignorance they try to exclude other parts too.

I agree that the second wording is a bit unclear, but if you consider "repair" as part of "maintenance" then indeed it is an emphatic no. Worse than that the "not authorised by Car Care Plan" seems to give them carte blanche to refuse at a whim which does seem very unsatisfactory. Since they got your money based on the first wording I believe it is a fraudulent sale.

I did have a quick web search about Marshalls warranty and found a few highly negative reviews.

I did have a quick web search about Marshalls warranty and found a few highly negative reviews.

There'll be a few more soon. I've managed to cancel but only after a lot of faffing around. I started by calling the number in the booklet; they said they're only the administrator, I need to cancel direct through Marshall. So I rang my supplying dealer, spoke to half a dozen people there and they didn't have a clue. Eventually, the guy who administers the factory warranty gave me Marshall's head office number, I called them and they redirected me straight to the administrator I'd started with an hour earlier. So my heart was really sinking at this point, but luckily this time the call picked up by someone who knew how to do their job. Of course I can cancel through the administrator, and it's done.

What a shambolic experience. Still my local indie is currently doing the engine and DSG oil & filter changes, and will be able to access the Audi online service history system to record the work when it's done.