Audi Driver International

NBirkitt

Reaction score
Don’t forget Audi Driver International

The event for ALL Audi enthusiasts!

Castle Combe race circuit, near Chippenham Wilts

Saturday Sept 18

Audi only track sessions, Club lineups, Concours, Trade stands, Technical seminar + evening dinner and awards presentation at Bristol Marriott Hotel

Spectator entry FREE of charge!

full details from: www.audidriverinternational.co.uk

or tel: 01525 750 500 mail@autometrix.co.uk

[ QUOTE ]
RichA3Turbo said:
[ QUOTE ]
DickyS3 said:
I'll be there! Anyone else for AS.NET?

[/ QUOTE ]

JBR will be there... and i'll be on the track alot in the beast! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

It's worth going just to ride shotgun with you Rich /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Yeah I'll be there, last years was fantastic and its free to get in so you cant go wrong /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif

[ QUOTE ]
jojo said:
[ QUOTE ]
RichA3Turbo said:
[ QUOTE ]
DickyS3 said:
I'll be there! Anyone else for AS.NET?

[/ QUOTE ]

JBR will be there... and i'll be on the track alot in the beast! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

It's worth going just to ride shotgun with you Rich /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Well if im free of passengers you more than welcome to come take the passenger seat! Going to order new tyres and brake pads in advance... think it'll be in need of a service the day after!

Rich

Hmm I think I will just watch! I'm a nervous passenger at the best of times but thanks for the offer!

Rich.

Andy - Is there going to be one? I was talking to Rog and he said there might not be one in sept? What d'ya think?

[ QUOTE ]
jojo said:
Another silly question, what's parking like at Castle Combe? never been there before.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not a problem. You park on grass around the track...

[ QUOTE ]
RichA3Turbo said:
[ QUOTE ]
jojo said:
Another silly question, what's parking like at Castle Combe? never been there before.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So getting there earlier means a better parking space right?, might go for the 10 minute session for a laugh, as 19" tyres aren't exactly cheap. See you there guys. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]
jojo said:
[ QUOTE ]
RichA3Turbo said:
[ QUOTE ]
jojo said:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So getting there earlier means a better parking space right?, might go for the 10 minute session for a laugh, as 19" tyres aren't exactly cheap. See you there guys. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

uh.. wel i guess so. I shall be in the trade area on solid ground /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
RichA3Turbo said:
[ QUOTE ]
jojo said:
[ QUOTE ]
RichA3Turbo said:
[ QUOTE ]
jojo said:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

uh.. wel i guess so. I shall be in the trade area on solid ground /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Woaa, quick reply man, I'll just park in your stand then Rich /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

One last question, a mate of mine wants to go, but he owns a Vauxhall Vectra. So apart from getting his *** kicked by us lot, would he be allowed in?

[ QUOTE ]
jojo said:
[ QUOTE ]
RichA3Turbo said:
[ QUOTE ]
jojo said:
[ QUOTE ]
RichA3Turbo said:
[ QUOTE ]
jojo said:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Woaa, quick reply man, I'll just park in your stand then Rich /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

One last question, a mate of mine wants to go, but he owns a Vauxhall Vectra. So apart from getting his *** kicked by us lot, would he be allowed in?

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah to park is fine... obviously not in the show area tho. and certainly not on the track.

Rich

After much consideration I may finally come to that event for track only tbh
However I need to be near southampton at around 14.00 that day. Do you think that is feasible if I take the morning session only. I have seen the morning track session starts at 9.00

Another 2 questions:
1- How does this type of track session affect the warranty of the car. I mean what happens if something breaks while on track. Is that still covered under Audi warranty? What about if it fails 1 week later? Does the stealer have any way of knowing that you've raced the car like some sort of log in the ECU for time and period of going into the red?
2- Insurance? My contract (direct line) is really clear that track days are excluded. Do you know any special companies that offers track day covers and how much should that be?

Thanks to all

Can’t really deal with your question about warranty...

But bear in mind that an official photographer will be at the event taking pics of the cars on the circuit which are then used in the event report in Audi Driver magazine, which is distributed to all the dealerships..

If anyone is worried about this, then either cover up your plates, use dummy plates, or let us know when you sign in and we’ll avoid using pics of your car in print

As far as special track day insurance is concerned we usually recommend Egger Lawson 0115 941 5255, but talk to them soon or there won’t be time to deal with the paperwork.

Thanks Neil,
I called them and it is £121 for the day, 11k worth of damage and an excess of £2.200!!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jawdrop.gif
I fint that is amazingly expensive or is that just what you guys are paying?

could be but wont do me any good as I dont have that.
International licence I got but that is just paperwork so wont do me any good neither
sh*t!!!!
I know they take risks but I still find it so expensive!
That's the kind of day that will just get to £400

Lets face it, taking your car on a track is high risk, so you cant expect insurers to let you do it for nothing.

I agree but when you see that track day is anywhere between £100 and £350. I find that £120 (or even £190 for 22k worth of damage) is expensive and I haven't yet checked what they cover. I have seen one company (moris.co.uk) that only insures external damages for your car only! Forget about your engine, yourself, other's cars or simply other people
Maybe there isn't enough competition to drive the prices down

Right,
I checked with Egger Lawson and cover is always only in case of "impact damage". Meaning the engine blows up : not covered. Third party and yourslef are never covered. No consummables neither but I would not have expected that
So what is covered ?
- 11k damage: the shell and chassis (including suspension)
- full cover 22k worth of damage : as per 11k damage + engine and transmission.

Knowing that you have an excess of £2.200, i am not sure that any of the 2 options are worh it? Maybe the full cover.

Well it was a good day! The morning was awful! CRAP weather, and only got 1 run in... the afternoon was MUCH better when the sun came out! Only had a slight incident with the car which involved a tyre wall and hitting of it in a sideways motion... luckily tho, the rubber came off the pain and polished out! a VERY close call (i wasnt even driving!!)

I was SERIOSULY impressed with the performance of the A3... RS4's couldnt pass me! the first run i did i staed out 6th (last), did away with 2 UR Quattros and 2 S2's, and the next UR quattro moved out the way for me! VERY satiisfying indeed..It really hel its own!

Looking forward to the next track day... need to look at my pad compound...fast road pads were fine, but after 8 laps were beginning to fade so ive ordered some Pagid fast road/race pads.

Was good to meet a good few AS/N members namely Jojo, S3MCD, DickyS3, SimonT, PaulB, Dunc, Dwasrslapper, James M..missed anyone out?

Cheers

Rich

[ QUOTE ]
Wil said:
Rich,

Just to say thanks for the ride....

Your A3 is very impressive!...kept up with the RS4!!...

Just managed to keep myself dry as we were heading towards the concrete wall....lucky we ended on the tyre wall at the end!...

Any chance of a copy of the tape???

Wil

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Wil,

No problem! I've just about forgiven Jason for the incident! he polished the car and got 99% of the marks out from the tyres so it could have been MUCH worse! I think it was a case of not letting the car cool down before going out again... after all to keep ahead of the RS4 i was driving at 10/10ths the session before you and Jason went out! No big deal tho... no damage done really other than needing to get the wheel refurbished!

hopefully see you at the RR day on the 23rd!

Cheers

Rich

[ QUOTE ]
David R said:
[ QUOTE ]
RichA3Turbo said:Looking forward to the next track day... need to look at my pad compound...fast road pads were fine, but after 8 laps were beginning to fade so ive ordered some Pagid fast road/race pads.

[/ QUOTE ]

In my experience, running with the kind of power you have, 8 laps of serious use will almost always start to induce fade in the brakes due to the kerb weight of the car (and in your case the relative front bias). I tried some more aggressive pads, which were more aggressive on the discs (!) but only gave a lap or so more before fade set in.... Even the seriously kitted out Scoob STI8s with Brembos (that have a much larger caliper than the A3/S3 application) start to get into difficulties...

I find its helpful to just do 8-10 laps, 2 for cooling and then there are no problems (which is fine for an open paddock day, but not so hot fixed duration track sessions)

Rich, I've got some race spec Hawk Blues in my garage from my old stoptechs (porsche fitment), if you let me know your pad design they may be of use (and I'll guarantee you'll never feel brakes like ones with these pads in!!)

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats cool Dave, glad im not the only one! This was the only time of the day that fade was even an issue...before that they were absolutely faultless! braking from 120 down to 40-50 was not a problem over and over again. Got upto about 130ish mph on the start straight which is very reasonable... was more than happy with the cars performance.

I will have a look at the pad dimensions and let you know! Im using hawk HPS pads at the moment which im happy with for road driving... just could maybe be a bit better for track use (not so much power, but heat management)

I will be upgrading the rear brakes soon as when braking HARD from 130ish the rear end gets a bit livelys... the rears will sort this out (tested and proven!)

Cheers

Rich

[ QUOTE ]
jojo said:
Hey guys, was not a bad day out at all, with only the weather letting us down (yet again) as Rich stated. And as for Rich's A3, what an awesome car... power all over the place and I was lucky enough to catch a ride as the first passenger on the track, performance was unbelievable from 4K revs upto the red line in pretty much all the gears. Highlight of the day apart from the ride has the be that red RS4 not being able to pass Rich on the long straight - RESPECT!

Missed the slight incident though, as I'd left for work before it happened.

Big thanks to Rich and Jaybee for inviting me onto their stand, and thanks again Rich for the ride.

Joe

[/ QUOTE ]

Cheers Jojo,

think you pretty much summed it up! If its able to keep pace with an RS4, them im happy! (got a slight boost leak too so when i get that sorted shortly...
As you say, performance from 4k rpm is fantastic... 2nd gear is incredible when you floor it at 4000rpm... just catapults you..really slams you into the seat!

Thanks for letting us borrow your car for the stand! finished it off nicely! Very clean and looks great!

Cheers

Rich

[ QUOTE ]
RichA3Turbo said:

Was good to meet a good few AS/N members namely Jojo, S3MCD, DickyS3, SimonT, PaulB, Dunc, Dwasrslapper, James M..missed anyone out?

Cheers

Rich

[/ QUOTE ]

Forgot to emntion RS4 Barry! was good to meet you! (even if i was a little p1ssed off at the time!/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif) Wasnt expecting to see anyone from as far-afield as Scotland!

Cheers

Rich

[ QUOTE ]
RichA3Turbo said:

I was SERIOSULY impressed with the performance of the A3... RS4's couldnt pass me!
Rich

[/ QUOTE ]

I seem to remember getting past within a lap of getting behind you (Dark Blue RS4), and you had been holding us up for 5 laps before /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thought I'd set the record straight, can't let you take that much credit /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/fuck_you.gif

Damn quick A3 though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Cheers

Ben

[ QUOTE ]
Ben (bjacks) said:
[ QUOTE ]
RichA3Turbo said:

I was SERIOSULY impressed with the performance of the A3... RS4's couldnt pass me!
Rich

[/ QUOTE ]

I seem to remember getting past within a lap of getting behind you (Dark Blue RS4), and you had been holding us up for 5 laps before /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thought I'd set the record straight, can't let you take that much credit /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/fuck_you.gif

Damn quick A3 though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Cheers

Ben

[/ QUOTE ]

But was it a standard RS4? I did let (must have been) you and a silver RS4 by as did SimonT in the Misano red RS4.

Rich

Nope, not standard mate, but that's not the point. I still got past /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Cheers

Ben

[ QUOTE ]
Ben (bjacks) said:
Nope, not standard mate, but that's not the point. I still got past /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Cheers

Ben

[/ QUOTE ]

hahaha, well there you go! I was talking about standard RS4's!!

Rich

Was a quality day but was a little disappointed with the amount of trade stands. Hardly any and less than last year which was the first ever event. Perhaps it needs better advertising??
Anyhow the track was quality, Rich - your car is very quick mate was enjoying watching you keeping up there with the RS4's and the like, your turbo sounds sweeeeet when it spins up as well. Does anyone know much about that silver B5 S4 saloon that was going round the track, think the reg plate ended MUD, that was one seriously quick car.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/goofy.gif