Audi Drive Select with Magnetic Ride

Zorro83

Reaction score
Hi,

So I finally ordered an S3 sedan (Canada), the car includes ADS but you can also outfitted with mag ride. To my understanding, on its own ADS (with reg. S suspension) can regulate suspension, shifting points, throttle and steering.

Mag ride on it's own has 2 settings, comfort/normal and sport/dynamic.

if you match these two together, do they work as 1 unit? Is the suspension lower cause of mag ride? Can mag ride still be set independently of ADS? Is this better?

This is my 1st Audi so these systems are a little overwhelming...I'd like to know each one before my lock in date to make an educative decision.

thank you!

Magnetic Ride is a Stand Alone Option, but is controlled through ADS

So - if you don't specify Magnetic Ride, the Options available to you through ADS are:
Throttle response & Gearbox Shift Points (S-Tronic)
Steering weighting
Lights
ACC
Engine/Exhaust Sound

If you option up Magnetic Ride you get:
Throttle response & Gearbox Shift Points (S-Tronic)
Steering weighting
Lights
ACC
Damper Control (Mag Ride) - Comfort, Auto, Dynamic
Engine/Exhaust Sound

Suspension height is the same, with or without Mag Ride

Awesome thank you!

Do you recommend the mag ride on the S3?

Unless you have perfectly surfaced roads with smooth Tarmac, or intend to use your car on track days, no.

ADS does not alter suspension settings on a standard car.

Hmm. This is interesting. I have magnetic ride as part of a package we get in Oz. I don't see some of the options you've listed above. Am I looking in the wrong place? This is all I see:

Photo 2

The only thing you're missing is lights, do you have the adaptive lights option?

I believe we have the adaptive lights. It's part of the same package that gives us magnetic ride. But I don't see an option for it.

Where do you set magnetic ride? Or is it just always on?

It's set under suspension control in ADS individual

Or adjusted automatically when you select Comfort or Dynamic

I'm confused now haha. I thought the ADS (comfort, dynamic) and magnetic ride were two separate things. I've been in a base S3 here in Oz that did not have magnetic ride, yet it still had ADS. Our spec guide lists them as separate.

You're saying they're the same thing?

I'm still confused as to how to set each one individually.

And it turns out we don't get adaptive lights down here. Only LEDs without it.

Last edited:
Ah, nevermind. I figured it out. ADS by itself changes steering/throttle response. Adding in magnetic ride gives the Suspension Control option seen above!

It's ok. Roads down here are pretty rough, so it does make a difference. If it wasn't part of a package though I wouldn't have optioned it. I have put on 19s though with 35 profile tyres, so the ride is a bit rougher than when I had the stocks on.

It's ok. Roads down here are pretty rough, so it does make a difference. If it wasn't part of a package though I wouldn't have optioned it. I have put on 19s though with 35 profile tyres, so the ride is a bit rougher than when I had the stocks on.
Ok thanks. So not much softer at will, as I understand it. You live in Canada I notice, did you go for the (fairly expensive) diesel heater as well?

I'm from Canada originally, but I live in Australia!

I have an S3, so no diesel heater option :)

Haha I see. You can't even get a towbar on the S3, can you? But you get a lot more fun instead :)

Tow bar isn't an option from the factory, but I was told it can be done by the dealership, but would you want to put on a tow bar onto an S3?

And in regards to magnetic ride vs standard, to be honest, I couldn't tell the difference between the two, took out a demo car with magnetic ride and one without, switched between dynamic and comfort in both, they pretty much felt the same to me.

But since we wanted the S Perfomance Pack, that's what one of the option is here in Australia, so we get magnetic ride as it's part of the package, which also includes Sports seats, B&O audio, LED lights, and 19" rims.

A lot of good info here...to those who have tried both the regular suspension & mag ride...is the regular S suspension similar to the dynamic setting of the mag ride? in-between comfort & dynamic?

Since i will be switching to 19s, which will automatically make it a rougher ride, i'm thinking the mag ride may give me a bit of a softer ride when i chose the comfort setting.

Tow bar isn't an option from the factory, but I was told it can be done by the dealership,

That doesn't sound right to me, the central back silencer box will obstruct the standard A3 towbar mounting.

Pretty sure it's been confirmed that you can't put a towbar on an S3