Audi Drive Select settings

BeagleKCH

Reaction score
I couldn't see a thread on this. I'd be interested to know what settings people use. I'm not sure what the difference is between Auto and Dynamic. I have an S Line on order and so also have the option of individual but before I even think about non standard settings i'd like to know what the pre-set ones are like in the real world. Are these settings just a gimmick (apart from when you are low on fuel and I dare say that everyone puts it in Efficiency). Do people really change these settings in everyday use?

I know I haven't a a4 but the drive select settings do have more of an effect if you've a stronic as it can change the mapping for the gearbox, unlike the manual of course...

And they also have an effect on suspension of you have mag ride. With a manual, non-mag ride A3 the only difference I can feel is that some settings make the steering heavier than others. The throttle response is also supposed to be sharper in dynamic setting but it feels no different to any other. Efficiency mode feels the same as all the others, except that the steering is heavier in dynamic.

Reactions: BeagleKCH
I have a 190bhp sline avant auto with adaptive sports suspension. I have done about 7000 miles now and have played with all the settings. You can feel the car hunker down when you move to dynamic or efficiency, defiantly more "wafty" on comfort. Mainly drive in auto, and the car will free roll too, which all adds to the fuel economy. Don't really see much difference mpg wise between them to be fair. Currently driving in individual, with it all set to dynamic apart from the gearbox, as it's easier and quicker to flip the gearbox sport aka dynamic by using the gear shift than fiddling with the drive select.

I certainly notice the difference in throttle response when I switch to dynamic, however if it's set to auto it will automatically switch to dynamic when it detects a certain throttle movement. Some have stated that it feels like a kick down switch on the throttle even if you drive a manual...

Thanks @Phil73 and @cuke2u. If auto feels comfortable in usual use but automatically switches to dynamic when you put your foot down, I think I'll try that first.

I'm 3000 miles down in a manual 2.0tdi 190 and have had various stints in each setting. The dynamic is unquestionably better when you stomp on the accelerator and I'm convinced it sounds better too- like it's actually working hard for you. Efficiency makes no difference to economy in my experience, it simply makes much earlier suggestions to shift up/down and even earlier "lift off" advice when approaching roundabouts etc.

Thanks for that. What I'm not sure of is what Automatic does. Does it go to Comfort when you are on a Motorway (for example) and shift to Dynamic when you put your foot down? In other words, does Automatic recognise what you want without you doing anything?

I'm 3000 miles down in a manual 2.0tdi 190 and have had various stints in each setting. The dynamic is unquestionably better when you stomp on the accelerator and I'm convinced it sounds better too- like it's actually working hard for you. Efficiency makes no difference to economy in my experience, it simply makes much earlier suggestions to shift up/down and even earlier "lift off" advice when approaching roundabouts etc.
Efficiency mode puts various components into a low power mode or turns them off as per the article from Audi here https://www.audi-mediacenter.com/en/audi-cross-coupe-quattro-3330/audi-drive-select-3363 It also changes the mapping on the engine and stronic gearbox.

Can anyone please clarify, if I'm in efficiency mode and change the gear to Sports, does that automatically changes the car characteristics to dynamic? Cause on long journeys I use efficiency mode and if I want to overtake I just change the gear to Sports.

On the 1.4 TFSI Sport all three settings do remarkably little

Auto seems to kick into Dynamic when you give it some beans. I don't think there is really much difference at all.

As I wrote, it does which is why I leave it in auto all the time. However, obviously, in dynamic it is in it all the time. I had a conversation with another a3 owner that dynamic made his car jerky. I think he might have not been subtle enough on the throttle...