1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Audi drive select essential?

Sherv May 17, 2018

1. Sherv

Sherv Active Member

I currently own a A3 TDI sportback & have just test driven a A4 avant 3.0 V6 TDI. https://www.cbautosales.co.uk/used-...-s-line-quattro-5dr-kirkcaldy-201804265939857

The car is stunning to drive & the interior is like new but it doesn't have drive select & sat nav. I know I can retro fit sat nav but as it doesn't have drive select I declined other wise I would have bought it. The sales man said without it it will always be in "auto" mode but I thought this sounds like bullshit. Is drive select really that good for throttle response (dynamic) & comfort mode (good mpg).

2. deanosabby

deanosabby Active Member VCDS Map User

I didn't have it in my A4 2.0TFSI but enabled it via VCDS so I can change the settings via the MMI. I only added the engine/gearbox and steering settings of the ads as I don't have the adaptive suspension.

Sherv likes this.
  3. Hellz

Hellz Geordie Racer Team Glacier TFSI Owners Group Team V6 Audi S5 Black Edition quattro S tronic Supercharged Sportback

I have all options on mine i.e. dampers, steering and sports diff etc, cant compare with an S5 without them as I havent driven one without but would say they make a decent difference when in dynamic mode - sharper steering response, stiffer feel to the car, and the sports diff helping me make up for my skills shortage when cornering :D

Sherv likes this.
  4. Sherv

Sherv Active Member

Thx guys, the car didn't have the sports diff, that would be my dream. Didn't realise you could change it via VCDs. Might look into this.

5. andyay123

andyay123 Member

Mine helps the car stay planted/level when cornering. Nice nice chicken and rice

6. scotty76

scotty76 Well-Known Member Team Phantom Audi S4

7. LukeyC

LukeyC Active Member

I've got it, and I use it quite alot - several times a journey in fact. However, the main things I use it for wouldn't apply to that car.

For me, the primary reason I switch modes is to change the damping - with wife / baby in the car it's almost always in "comfort". Day to day driving is "auto" mode, and if I want to have some fun on a backroad it's "dynamic".

The second reason is to alter the gearbox mapping. Sometimes I might whack it in comfort to lighten up the steering and knock down the throttle response when parking, but rarely.

If I was looking at a manual car, I wouldn't miss ADS. I'd be far more concerned about the lack of sat nav - even if you don't actually use navigation that much, I'd hate to try and browse music with the MMI controls mounted vertically like that. When they're by the gear lever (ie in a Nav enabled car) they fall to the hand so easily.

Hope that helps :)

8. Sherv

Sherv Active Member

Thanks again guys. I read the links concerning VCDs & manually installing the button but I'm defo going to hold off & get one with the drive select. Ironically I've just seen another A4 avant 3.0 that has all the bells & whistles but no xenon drl (SE not S-line).

9. Dippy

Dippy Well-Known Member Team Monsoon Audi S5 Black Edition

I can only speak for the S5. I have sports diff, adjustable dampers and dynamic steering, so of course I need ADS for those, however I can comment for what it just does to the engine/transmission.

For the engine it changes the throttle response in dynamic. Not only during my many test drives before I ordered my S5, but of course when I first got it, I clearly experienced the difference between putting the gearbox into S alone, and ADS dynamic which puts the 'box into S but also improves the throttle response. For my the difference is significant and that change in throttle response improves driveability in "fun" mode. I'd recommend any S4/5 owner to go for the VCDS mod to add it just for the throttle response. I don't know what it would be like on the 3.0 diesel but I could imagine that its worth it.

For the transmission ADS adds the E shift points. On the S5 the D points are already quite low and on a leisurely drive the 'box will quickly get to the high gears. In E the points are even lower and those high gears come sooner, turning the car into something which should be ashamed to have an S badge. But on an average drive would the car be any more economic in D6/D7 compared to E6/E7? I doubt it.

10. jdp1962

jdp1962 Grumpy Old Moderator Staff Member Moderator TFSI Owners Group Team V6 Gold Supporter Team Tornado Audi S4 Black Edition quattro S tronic

I selected E once, just out of curiosity. Never again!

11. And

And Member Team Lava Grey Audi A4 Audi Avant Owner Group quattro

I have a mapped 3.0 TDI V6 Avant '09 - manual. Its has ADS and I use it all the time. :superman:

ion2211 likes this.
  12. ion2211

ion2211 Active Member

I have a mapped 3.0TDI V6 With Factory fitted Drive Select... I use "Indivdual" mode all the time. (Suspension & Steering on 'Comfort' and Engine on 'Dynamic')

This really sharpens up the Throttle response and I have gotten so used to it to the point that the car feels sluggish and unresponsive if I ever forget to switch it to "Individual".

FYI, I coded Drive Select using VCDS to a friends A5 (just steering and engine control) - and setting it to "Dynamic" didn't give it the same sharp feel as it does on my OEM Audi Drive Select.

Possibly because his was Auto and a 2.7TDI but it didn't give it the same crisp feel that mine has when in Dynamic mode which was a bit disappointing.

13. Neil Wilkinson

Neil Wilkinson Member

What year is your car? I’ve got a 2010 2.0TFSI and have got carista but don’t see the option to enable ADS via MMI

14. deanosabby

deanosabby Active Member VCDS Map User

I have a 2011 model but I have VCDS.

15. Neil Wilkinson

Neil Wilkinson Member

I wonder if my 2010 model could be enabled with VCDS?