Audi Connect - yes/no?

The_Golfather

Reaction score
Curious whether anyone feels there’s a benefit to enabling Audi Connect. I’ll need a data sim obviously to create a Wi-fi hotspot in the car but is there a real benefit?

I have the Audi Smartphone interface which is fine, a bit gimmicky but nice to have.

I’ve downloaded the latest 2019 maps from MyAudi website and saved to an SD card (uploading in the car as a type).

So, is Audi Connect worth the outlay of a data sim? If so, how much data is required? Is it data hungry?

Thanks.

06a83ac8b11d9f70071b5921abe066dc.jpg

I think it's definitely worthwhile, for Google Earth maps, traffic news, SMS dictation and internet radio. If you're not sure, maybe get a SIM with a small data limit as a one-off and see how it goes, that way you won't waste too much.
Better still, if you have a phone with remote SIM access bluetooth profile (I.e. Samsung) you can use your phone's mobile data allowance.

My guess is either the connection details in the MMI is not correct, like in this image. Your service provide will provide the correct details.
Upload 2019 6 14 12 0 29

or the sim in not activated, to check that you need to setup the internal WIFI setting then use a table or phone to try and connect to the internet, if the sim is not activated it will automatically direct you to the providers web site to activate the SIM card.

My guess is either the connection details in the MMI is not correct, like in this image. Your service provide will provide the correct details.
View attachment 184660
or the sim in not activated, to check that you need to setup the internal WIFI setting then use a table or phone to try and connect to the internet, if the sim is not activated it will automatically direct you to the providers web site to activate the SIM card.
If I recall correctly from other posts in the past, with 3 you need to put the SIM in a phone first to activate it and then put it in the car. Just putting in the car straight away causes issues.

I can put it in my phone as I have an unlocked iPhone but that’s a nano sim & the car takes a bigger sim so won’t be able to do that.

I keep my old iPhone 4 for times like this!

Find a second hand phone shop or go down the market and ask to put the sim into a phone that fits to make sure it works before you “buy”

I'd say it's pretty handy to have. I like having google earth, fuel prices and being able to send address to the navigation. For the cost of the sim and data if you can have it as an option I would. It's not data hungry either, you can track how data it uses and you can also turn it off when you dont really need it.

Reactions: The_Golfather
Yeah, any network. I use an EE Sim. It's a normal Sim but you can use a data Sim to.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Sorry for the little high jack, but you said you updated the maps from the myaudi site. I have a log in but cant seem to find the map update anywhere? I have a 3G plus MMI with connect but the only thing I can do is send navigation destinations to my car.

How old is your car? Free map updates started on a certain model year, and even if you get the free updated you only get 5 free updates and the updates are release every 6 months, so you get just over 2.5 years updates, then you have to start paying.

It's a 2013, that makes sense then. Even still I can't see an option to even buy new maps or is that a main dealer job? I updated the maps and firmware on my A5 myself using a download but I'm nervous about doing on my A6

Dealer only on that year, but it's the same method on the A6 as it is on the A5. If you have Bose then I would uncheck that option as firmware updates are known to cause issues.

Reactions: Jared Tovee
For info, the map update is located under the features tab.
Open My Audi, click on Show Vehicle Details and Select the Features tab.
Map Update will be displayed there.

Reactions: Spiedhermonkey and Jared Tovee
Excuse my ignorance here, but is there such a thing as a Data Only SIM card?

Every day's a School day. Thanks guys.

Last edited:
Reactions: The_Golfather
Bought a Three SIM. Worked first time so no need to activate via a phone. Google maps is a nice feature.

Most useful for me though are train times from local stations in real time as well as local fuel prices.

Bought a Three SIM. Worked first time so no need to activate via a phone. Google maps is a nice feature.

Most useful for me though are train times from local stations in real time as well as local fuel prices.

So how does it work then? (bearing in mind I haven't got the car yet). Obviously I need the SIM card, which I've ordered via the link kindly supplied by no_idea above. Once inserted, what is the procedure for conjuring up all this sorcery? A video would be good :grinning::icon thumright:

A blank page appears for a few seconds as though it is going to load something but then disappears. Not to worry though, I found a video on Youtube that walks you through it, albeit American it was still helpful. Handy thing to have.

That because it is a PDF file, it's a guide to setting up audi connect. Can you not open it

When yo uget its set up, let us know what you think

That because it is a PDF file, it's a guide to setting up audi connect. Can you not open it

No it wouldn't open mate. I am on a work PC so maybe there is some issue stopping it. Not to worry, the best way to learn will be to play with it. (oooerrr)

When yo uget its set up, let us know what you think

I don't pick the car up until 10th July, but that's the first thing I'll be sorting out, so I'll be back on with my views

One thing to note on the google maps overlay, it will no longer be available after December 2020. Not sure about the other online services.

One thing to note on the google maps overlay, it will no longer be available after December 2020. Not sure about the other online services.

So Google Street View and the 3D thing will cease to be a feature but the ordinary navigation maps will still work I assume?

Yes, it's the overlay that will no longer work but navigation will work just fine.

Reactions: gary3306