Audi Connect via eSIM black holes

TimD

Reaction score
So, I drive about 50 miles each way to work. The last part is on the A3(M) towards Portsmouth. Pretty much the entire A3(M) is a black spot for coverage via the eSIM. In the map display, you go from having the Google logo and "ONLINE" in bold, to a greyed out Google logo, and "ONLINE" replaced by "TMC PRO"

At the same point on every journey, presumably after there has been no connectivity for a set period of time, an MMI message pops up to say that there is no connectivity - to which I click "Accept"

Now, this is normally not a huge problem, as it caches the google earth mapping for some way ahead on the journey, but it does mean that you lose traffic info.

So, today, I can see for the first 30 mins of my journey that there is something wrong on the A3(M) as there is a few miles of very slow traffic. I watch the traffic delay build up to about 15 mins, before the Nav told me that the route had been changed. However, I was still going to have to sit in about 0.5 mile of traffic before getting to the junction to leave the A3(M) on.

I duly arrived at the back of the queue and slowed to a crawl, at which point, the mobile coverage dropped out. Because it no longer had any traffic data, it politely told me that the route had changed again, and directed me to continue following the A3(M) in a huge traffic jam, and my arrival time was adjusted to about 10 or 15 mins earlier. I was in the queue for at least a couple of mins, and no data came through via TMC.

Fortunately I still keep my very well trusted TomTom in the glove box and having plugged that in, it confirmed there was still a 15 min delay on the A3(M) and took me off on a diversion route, with the MMI Nav repeatedly trying to get me back on the A3(M) and into the traffic jam for the next 5 mins.

So, a long and not terribly interesting story, but I wonder what carrier they use that has no mobile coverage on about 5 or 6 miles of motorway class road. I had presumed that it used some sort of carrier-flexible SIM technology such as is used in Smart Meters, but obviously not.

I wonder if there is a way to make it so that if there is no eSIM coverage, you can drop back to using the data service from the connected mobile phone.

AFAIK they use EE for the embedded SIM: https://www.iot-now.com/2015/11/04/...in-europe-for-m2m-connected-car-applications/

Strange - as I know there's a part as you go over the downs the signal can be patchy along the A3. I've not commuted the A3 for some time so cannot say what EE is like along there. It can be frustrating. I did have some moments of signal loss to start with but they have improved over the last few months. My commute is all M-Way.

Other option would be to look at getting your own SIM and using that instead, but that comes at a cost of course!

Did yours come with a sim as when I look at the sim slot on mine it's empty. Am I been stupid Is it embedded else where ? (I'm yet to work out how to use the tech in this car lol)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep MY17 have a embedded / hidden module for data. If you put a SIM in the slot in the glovebox it will use that for all data

Cheers guys I understand now :) was confused haha

AFAIK they use EE for the embedded SIM: https://www.iot-now.com/2015/11/04/...in-europe-for-m2m-connected-car-applications/

Strange - as I know there's a part as you go over the downs the signal can be patchy along the A3. I've not commuted the A3 for some time so cannot say what EE is like along there. It can be frustrating. I did have some moments of signal loss to start with but they have improved over the last few months. My commute is all M-Way.

Other option would be to look at getting your own SIM and using that instead, but that comes at a cost of course!

Hmmm, that doesn't really tally, as my mobile is on EE, and I checked a couple of times whilst driving through the black-spot, and it was showing a good 4G signal at all times.

I actually had a look how much data has been used by the eSIM. In 2000 miles over the first month (eek) it has received 83MB, and sent 10MB. That is ridiculously small considering I have the Google Earth satnav view on all the time, but I guess that it may be using cached images.

If the data usage is really that small, I think I will just try routing everything through my mobile, or maybe I will pop a PAYG data SIM in there and see how long it lasts.

@cuke2u - MY17 can be an access point just fine, with either embedded for own provided SIM (but requires payment for embedded) - however what it cannot do is act as a wireless client.

@MikeSel^ - basically, you can connect your devices to the cars wifi, but an MY17 car cannot connect to a wifi hotspot (I.e your phone / home wifi)

@MikeSel^ - basically, you can connect your devices to the cars wifi, but an MY17 car cannot connect to a wifi hotspot (I.e your phone / home wifi)

Ahh thanks for clearing that up. Makes a bit more sense now

@cuke2u - MY17 can be an access point just fine, with either embedded for own provided SIM (but requires payment for embedded) - however what it cannot do is act as a wireless client.

Yes you are correct you can use the embedded card as a access point if you pay extra for the data, but on the amount they charge you are far better off purchasing your own sims data card...

Yes you are correct you can use the embedded card as a access point if you pay extra for the data, but on the amount they charge you are far better off purchasing your own sims data card...

Ok thanks. I won't be using the data a lot. It's for a tracker/car logger project. But will bear that in mind.

[QUOTE="maui, post: 2965164, member: 113958"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]
It can be activated using OBD11

Reactions: maui