Audi Connect SIM card choices.

Spoke to Vodafone and they are sending me an additional data SIM card which is linked to my mobile phone account. It's going to cost me £4 per month, and as I've got a 20gb data allowance there should be no issues. It will also let me use it abroad subject to their £3 per day charge.

I wanted to do this with O2 but they couldn't despite suggesting that a second sim sharing the same data allowance was possible on their website.

I'm using the EE 6Gb 90 day Sim currently which was £15 from Amazon or ebay (can't remember which). It runs out on the 16th of this month so will see if it's cheaper to top the card up or just bin it and buy another one.

I'm using the EE 6Gb 90 day Sim currently which was £15 from Amazon or ebay (can't remember which). It runs out on the 16th of this month so will see if it's cheaper to top the card up or just bin it and buy another one.

In my experience (with the '3' ones anyway) it's always been cheaper to bin them & buy a new one.
Be interested to know how much the EE top-up is.

Reactions: Rob2k68
I went with o2 as they don't force me to top up every month like EE did.

I went with o2 as they don't force me to top up every month like EE did.

That might be a good option - does it ever expire ?

My usage meter shows sent 423MB received 582MB in 2 1/2 months. As far as the sim is concerned is usage these two figures added together or just the data received ?

Data received as far as I know. This was the problem I had with EE, is that I had a 1gb allowance but didn't use anywhere near that much. After 30 days the sim expired.

At first, I thought Audi Connect had gone down or couldn't connect for some reason, which was a pain as I had to turn both phones wifi off every time I got in the car for them to be able to connect to the internet, but a couple of days later it turned out to be EE.

They said "it is a use it or lose it policy and that I would have to top up every 30 days regardless".

I quite like the idea of a sharing plan as I currently have separate data SIMs for both my iPad and the car.

Alas is seems no one does them on SIM-only, they're all limited to contract phone plans :(

I've been investigating this for a while now since although I do have a phone with rsap and a Three One Plan with unlimited data plan, I'm finding that my phone drops the connection occasionally and won't reconnect (Samsung Galaxy Note 3)

I intend to use the data for traffic only and have checked usage over a month or so (around London 5 days a week commuting) and also wifi hotspot with my phone connected and running Waze. Total usage works out at about 10MB per week.

So I've tried a 3 pre paid 1gb sim but at 6 pounds lasting 30 days, this is overkill and I'd rather have something with better reception for when I drive outside urban areas (I find that Three is pretty bad for this).

So penny pinching me had a bit of a further search...

I've bought a few PAYG Sims from EE (ebay EE shop) which are £1 each and include £5 credit preloaded using their 7 day 50mins calls and 50 text pack. You can then place it in a phone (with mobile data disabled before insertion to prevent initial usage of and data - very important step). Text 150 with "STOP PACK" which disables the initial preloaded pack leaving you with £5 credit. You then text to start the £1 data bundle with gives you 100MB data lasting 7 days and auto reoccurs each week. Just simply then insert into the SIM slot and it will automatically find the APN settings and has effectively given me sufficient data for traffic usage lasting 5 weeks for £1!

Going one step further, but with minimal extra faff, I have found the People's Operator PAYG SIM who run off the EE network. If you sign up via some websites (google ken's tech tips) you get £10 free credit and do not have to provide your credit card details. Their PAYG tariff is 1p per MB for data which means the £10 should easily last me the 3 month duration at which they will disconnect me if I don't top up. I will review what I do at that point but I'll take 3 months for free for the moment thanks! One minor thing though is that when you insert the SIM it picks up it is an Orange SIM. You can easily go into the MMI and change the APN setting for the host (details are on the (People operator website).

So those are my tips: TPO which should give you either 3 months free then around £3.33 per month if you want to continue (since minimum top up is £10 I believe)
Or £1 per 5 weeks via EE throwing the SIM away and activating a new one every 5th Sunday evening. Note they will only send 2 SIMs per household in a 3 month period, so you will need a mate to get an extra pack to tied you over :)

Last edited:
Reactions: sunscreemer
I quite like the idea of a sharing plan as I currently have separate data SIMs for both my iPad and the car.

Alas is seems no one does them on SIM-only, they're all limited to contract phone plans :(

Having looked into sharing plans I found they ended up more expensive that two separate plans. Crazy! (Not doing them on SIM-only doesn't help either!)

Anyone using the EE 90 day 6GB sim card this is what you get at the end of the 90 days .....

TvcTLOO5

I've binned mine and ordered another one from Amazon £17 for 6GB data over 90 days. The best I would get with the above would be £30 for 3GB over 90 days with additional top ups over that period.

Oh for sure, when it runs out just toss it and get another :)

Yeah Ive got same sim card deal seems to be cheapest deal right now, most likely will do the same just buy another one when it runs out.

When will these companies wise up to the fact people want long term data only SIM's now? Can't believe there isn't a decent option for a long term monthly data only allowance.

My data usage over the 90 day period was 0.8GB !!

I'm looking for something that's maybe 500MB/month for £5/month but there doesn't seem to be anything out there. To be fair to EE their coverage and speed was pretty good.

I'm looking for something that's maybe 500MB/month for £5/month but there doesn't seem to be anything out there. To be fair to EE their coverage and speed was pretty good.

If you're looking for 500mb per month for £5 then you have two options I can think of already...

EE 100MB per week for £1 per week
Giffgaff 500mb for £5 per month

If you're looking for 500mb per month for £5 then you have two options I can think of already...

Cheers I'll check out the first one from EE.

I was going to get the 90 day EE card to see what my data usage was for the first three months too. I think it's £8/month for EE to send me a data SIM to share my current mobile tariff which i think is a bit of a rip off for basically a SIM that i could buy for less than £20 and throw away and for no extra usage allowance. The £1/week deal may be best for me too!

Ah, i see that £1/month pack is a general PAYG rather than a data only. Wonder if you can get a 90 day data only SIM then at the end use the same SIM and sign up to the £1/month PAYG deal?

Read my earlier post and if you're going go down that route, at least buy the 99p sim with £5 credit preloaded :)

Reactions: illingworth22
Ah, i see that £1/month pack is a general PAYG rather than a data only. Wonder if you can get a 90 day data only SIM then at the end use the same SIM and sign up to the £1/month PAYG deal?

Yes but it is a data pack with minimal 10 mins calls and txt provided. The bundle is a reoccurring bundle until the credit runs out (or you stop it). I've tried for a few weeks in the car without any problems and in my view the extra mins could potentially be useful in the occasional situation if I needed to make a call but my main phone had no reception...

I'm still running the TPO sim and have only used 10MB in over a week so still have well over £9.50 of my free initial credit!

Reactions: sunscreemer

If you're a BT broadband subscriber BT mobile will do this for £5/month.

So I'm very newbie at this so forgive me... I've gone for the tech pack (£1,500.00) option on my recent order. I didn't go for the next step up which was tech pack connect I believe? I assume mine will be 'connect ready' and can just get a sim like you guys are doing?

No, you needed to have got the Connect pack to use Connect!

Oh.....! In that case I'll delete the 'Audi connect' app I'd downloaded in excitement lol! In fairness I only went for tech pack for the screen size and touch pad so got what I wanted.

^^ Don't think you're missing a huge amount other than the Google Earth map overlay to be fair.

I presume the my.audi updates still work although having said that if they don't then maybe the POI won't work either which now gives you speed camera positions as per the sticky thread which is worth having.

Yeah I've been keeping an eye on that thread. Defiantly going to try get that working on day 1!

Connect has loads of great stuff I use, not just the Google Earth overlay (which is very good in itself). Text message dictation, parking and fuel information, WiFi hotspot etc

Hello Guys ,

I just took delivery of my new A3 S-line with audi connect but i'm bit baffled with what the brochure of the car states , apparently you are able to sim a sim card on the glove box to use connect and use the same sim card to make calls , i've tried and can't seems to make it work ,i have tu data put can't call , dealer told me the sim is for data only ,on the brochure it says otherwise anyone can help please what are the different ways to connect data and call at the same time . thank you guys :)

Hello Guys ,

I just took delivery of my new A3 S-line with audi connect but i'm bit baffled with what the brochure of the car states , apparently you are able to sim a sim card on the glove box to use connect and use the same sim card to make calls , i've tried and can't seems to make it work ,i have tu data put can't call , dealer told me the sim is for data only ,on the brochure it says otherwise anyone can help please what are the different ways to connect data and call at the same time . thank you guys :)

The SIM in the slot in the glovebox is for Connect and is only used for data.
Calls (and texts) are always via the bluetooth connected phone.

See the notes on page 56 of the MMI Navigation System Plus Operating manual.

Find attached pic of page 56 about twitter and navigation :( nothing there ) and the audi brochure for A3.

Maybe its me not getting it ..too thick :( lol

Attachments

• IMG-20150728-WA0003.jpg
    IMG-20150728-WA0003.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 323
  • IMG-20150728-WA0004.jpg
    IMG-20150728-WA0004.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 308
  • IMG-20150728-WA0003.jpg
    IMG-20150728-WA0003.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 316

Not always the case. It isn't for my car for example. I got my car in a brief window where other options were made available. I can use the SIM card for calls and texts, and I can use rSAP to use my phone for the data connection for example.

What
Not always the case. It isn't for my car for example. I got my car in a brief window where other options were made available. I can use the SIM card for calls and texts, and I can use rSAP to use my phone for the data connection for example.

What do you mean brief window?

When was it?

I still have the brochure that says the audi connect can do that :(

Thing is, the EE 6GB/90-day SIMs work out around £5 a month anyway so you might as well. It's hard finding anything significantly cheaper which doesn't have very low data allowances. At least with the 6GB SIMs passengers can use Wifi to their hearts content :)

Oh.....! In that case I'll delete the 'Audi connect' app I'd downloaded in excitement lol! In fairness I only went for tech pack for the screen size and touch pad so got what I wanted.

Be aware that, even without Connect, the MMI Connect app will still work for music streaming. The car will still expose a Wifi hotspot which you can connect to and then stream music over using the app. Of course you can do that with bluetooth anyway but you get a lot more control from the MMI with the Wifi connection (on iPhone at least).

Just remembered when I've used it the sat nav google maps street view is useful to see where your heading then set it as a destination - that's a handy connect feature.

Reactions: cemerson
Just remembered when I've used it the sat nav google maps street view is useful to see where your heading then set it as a destination - that's a handy connect feature.

I use the "Send to car" feature from desktop Google Maps all the time - so much easier finding where you need to go on a desktop machine then just sending it to the car.

Yeah that's a feature I did read about... Assume that's a connect thing only :/ What sort of extra MMI control will I get with the wifi connection?

What

What do you mean brief window?

When was it?

I still have the brochure that says the audi connect can do that :(

My car was built around August 2013. I don't know for sure when they started and stopped being able to do this, but I know they stopped it not long after!

Yes, send to car is very useful. There is a 'Send to car' app you can get for Android which allows you to share map locations directly to the car from your phone too, very useful!

Find attached pic of page 56 about twitter and navigation :( nothing there ) and the audi brochure for A3.

Maybe its me not getting it ..too thick :( lol

Must be a different version of the manual.

Notes on page 56 of mine state:
"Making and receiving telephone calls via the MMI is only possible using the Bluetooth connection (Handsfree) -> page 41"

Page 41 then repeats the same point in the Notes.

Background/history to all this in case you are interested.
WARNING - geeky details and references to old brochures ahead.

There was an upgrade to the MMI in late 2013 that allows a 4G/LTE data connection capability. At this point - the requirements for Connect changed.

The October 2013 version of the A3/S3 brochure states the following for Tech Pack with Connect:
"Audi connect provides access to a number of innovative online services via an internal UMTS (3G) (NOTE 3) module."

Important connectivity information: An external data source is required to enable the Audi connect online services.
One of the two following external data sources can be used:
1. A mobile telephone with Bluetooth SIM Access Profile - NOTE 2
2. A separate SIM card which can be inserted in the included SIM card reader. When a separate SIM card is used, hands free phone calls are possible using the SIM card or by connecting a different mobile telephone via Bluetooth Hands Free Profile

Note 2 (referenced from point 1) states:
This data source is not compatible with S3 Sportback and only available on A3 and S3 3 door production up until 3rd November 2013. To check the compatibility of your mobile phone and whether it has SIM Access Profile compatibility, please visit http://www.audi.co.uk/owners-area/phonecompatibility.html

Note 3 (referenced from the UMTS (3G)) section states:
S3 Sportback from launch and A3/S3 3 door from 4th November 2013 production will receive the upgraded 4G/LTE data connection capability. If a SIM card without a 4G data plan is used, then a 3G data connection will be used instead. The 3G signal can be used when a 4G signal is not available at the cars current location.

So in summary:
- for cars built before 4th Nov 2013 you use your phone for the data connection
- for cars built after 4th Nov 2013 you have to use the SIM slot in the MMI for the data connection.

Unless you have an iPhone............... then you still need the Sim Card in the glove box for Data Access.

I do recall seeing somewhere in my menu a setting for using the internal Sim for phone calls... but I never messed with it as I use the iPhone BlueTooth connection for the hands free.