Audi Connect Data SIM

Datastorm

Reaction score
Hi,

Looking at getting a data SIM to slot into the glovebox to enable Audi Connect.

Can anyone share their experiences on this. What card did you get? How much data are you using? etc etc

Thanks,

Jeff

Hi,

Looking at getting a data SIM to slot into the glovebox to enable Audi Connect.

Can anyone share their experiences on this. What card did you get? How much data are you using? etc etc

Thanks,

Jeff

Hey Jeff,

I pay £8pm to share my Vodafone mobile data. There’s cheaper deals out there but this does what I need.

Regarding data usage - I actually have no real idea because the SIM has 4GB attaches to it but I’ve found Google Maps to be hungry on occasion in some months and I’ve never really worked out why.

I hardly ever use any of the connect stuff other than Google Maps so it surprised me when it ran out if data. Majority of time I’m under this however.

Not sure that helps but hopefully gives you a steer

Reactions: Datastorm
Pretty sure you can use rSAP and just piggy back off of your phone's Data

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Pretty sure you can use rSAP and just piggy back off of your phone's Data

You can indeed and that’s what I started to do but gave up and just took the SIM option

It's what I use and doesn't use any data really. But that's probably because I rarely use Audi connect, do everything through android Auto.
You can indeed and that’s what I started to do but gave up and just took the SIM option

Thanks guys, I'm using a company supplied mobile phone and tethering/hotspot functionality is disabled..... so a data SIM is my only option.

I've found an EE SIM that has 6GB for 12 months (500MB a month) on eBay for approx £17, so might give this a go unless anyone posts other suggestions here.

Reactions: oli356
Just bought a Three 12GB pre loaded SIM only for £17 from eBay. It’s for 12 months or whenever the data is used up. Great for the kids connecting their phones and tablets to Wifi. My previous one lasted 10 months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is this to enable the wifi hotspot in the car or the Audi Connect services? 2 different things from what I see. Iv just been through this and decided to go with Audi for the 25gb for 1yr at 125pounds. This works out at 10pounds ish a month and 2gb a month. This is to enable the wifi hotspot and works all over Europe.Will be enough for me as it doesn't cover map updates etc ad my Audi Connect package is still free for another 2yrs. Im not sure how much Audi want for the Connect package when it runs out. Would be interesting to know?

Having said all of this, that 3 SIM card might be a good option to put in but I read that once you put in a 3rd party sim that Audi Connect gets de-activated and reverts to using all data through the 3rd party sim card even if you have an Audi Connect data package still active. Only way to keep Audi Connect and then a separate wifi hotspot is through Audi official packages which of course you pay more for!

Is this to enable the wifi hotspot in the car or the Audi Connect services? 2 different things from what I see. Iv just been through this and decided to go with Audi for the 25gb for 1yr at 125pounds. This works out at 10pounds ish a month and 2gb a month. This is to enable the wifi hotspot and works all over Europe.Will be enough for me as it doesn't cover map updates etc ad my Audi Connect package is still free for another 2yrs. Im not sure how much Audi want for the Connect package when it runs out. Would be interesting to know?

Having said all of this, that 3 SIM card might be a good option to put in but I read that once you put in a 3rd party sim that Audi Connect gets de-activated and reverts to using all data through the 3rd party sim card even if you have an Audi Connect data package still active. Only way to keep Audi Connect and then a separate wifi hotspot is through Audi official packages which of course you pay more for!
My Audi connect was expired when I bought my S3, just contact Audi customer services, they extended it for 12 months for free for me

Reactions: Datastorm and Ormesome
And does that include all the data too. I’ve only had mine 5 weeks and all is working fine but wondered how the data side works as I always have google maps active

And does that include all the data too. I’ve only had mine 5 weeks and all is working fine but wondered how the data side works as I always have google maps active
Not sure. I definitely have an Audi SIM in the car which works, but I barely use the data as onboard navigation sucks, so use android Auto.

As mentioned in my post, from what I can see on official Audi websites, If you have official Audi Connect data and then add on a Data plan to activate Wifi hotspot, then things like map downloads go from the Audi Connect data as it is unlimited. The official Audi data for wifi hotspot is configurable to different data plans like I mentioned. If you go for a 3rd party sim and don't use the inbuilt e-sim then all downloads like maps etc use the data from the 3rd party sim. The confusing part in this thread and all of Audi terminology is that there are 2 options! Audi Connect and then the other part which is Audi wifi hotpot bought from Cubic Telecom which activates your in built e-sim. Website here to check your car:
https://auto.cubictelecom.com

I do not know what happens when your Audi Connect package runs out after 3yrs. My data package for wifi was only 3 months trial as is the norm I think, hence why I bought a years upgrade.

At the moment my package is as such:

# Audi Connect for all Connect services like maps, updates and google 3d maps etc.... This is activity till Sept 2021

# Audi Data via Cubic Telecom - 25gb for 365 days. This is for Wifi hot spot only. Other data will be used via Audi Connect and not affect this 25gb,

Most owners have managed to get their three months trial extended each year...

My car has the Tech Pack, which included 3yr Audi Connect.....but I run my own SIM in their so that the kids can use Wifi hotspot for the nonsense they constantly stream on Netflix/Amazon/YouTube and so on. We have BT SIMs as part of a Family Pack, each with 12GB data/month, and so just added another to the account; each additional SIM costs a little less, so man maths shows that this SIM costs around £8/month and the added bonus is that can use it for voice/text as well as data when in the car, if - for example - left my phone at home.

Reactions: Ormesome