Audi connect, data sim expired but still getting Google Earth on Nav??

Keef

Reaction score
As I'm an IPhone user (don't get me started on the lack of rSAP) I usually buy 'three' prepaid 3gb mobile data sims but the data only has a shelf life of 3 months give or take so it's use it, or loose it.
I hadn't realised but went to do an online destination search the other day and it said my data had expired.
I tend to set the navigation to google map view as it doesn't seem to use a lot of data, even though it's expired I'm still getting the google map view on the Nav. I have reset the data consumption meter to check and it still says I'm using data! Not sure why this is working but as long as it does I won't be purchasing more data.

Reactions: skiptowncat
I think the maps are stored for a while on the hard drive and used if there is no internet connection. You probably won't notice for local driving but when you go somewhere new the maps won't appear.

Reactions: Keef
Two things:

1. Can you clarify what you mean by rSAP and the issue?
2. I was buying an EE SIM on a reg basis for Audi connect and google maps, it expired over 6 moths ago but is still working, i am getting google maps, Audi connect (sending destinations via google maps directly to Nav) and WiFi hotspot. I travelled 300 miles with an expired SIM and Google maps worked fine and still does.

Two things:

1. Can you clarify what you mean by rSAP and the issue?
2. I was buying an EE SIM on a reg basis for Audi connect and google maps, it expired over 6 moths ago but is still working, i am getting google maps, Audi connect (sending destinations via google maps directly to Nav) and WiFi hotspot. I travelled 300 miles with an expired SIM and Google maps worked fine and still does.

Hi Geoff

1.What I mean by rSAP is, some phones like Samsung etc have the function to use this rsap profile, which as I understand it would mean the phone would allow the car to access and use the sim data without the need for a separate data sim in the dash, this would also mean you could see the phones text messages on mmi screen.
Apple won't allow that hence no rsap profile on iPhones. Now I'm not overly tech savy so please go easy on me if I've not got it 100% right.

2. I was think in of getting the EE sim but as the 4g wasn't supported I didn't bother, also the 6GB if I recall only had a 1 month shelf life. I have travelled further a field and google maps is still working so I don't believe it's a local save version to the hard drive, but it's interesting to now if it does that, would make sense I guess.
As I said my search and wifi hotspot have stopped working but it's good yours are still working, might try an EE sim just for that!

Cheers
Keef

Not connected to the Audi Google function, that's APP specific @scotty76

Apple allow SIM access, I get full contacts list, call history etc. I have with my iPhone 6s and did with the 5s.
4g may not be supported but 3g works really well, signal gets boosted by the cars infrastructure so more reliable coverage than that of a stand alone phone.

EE also do a 12 month SIM for £75 which works out a little cheaper, I was going to switch but mine still works with full functinality including wifi hotspot so haven't bothered.