Audi Configurator Accurate?

J4MMYz

Reaction score
I've specced an A3 1.4 COD s line on the Audi Configurator and got a price, but i'm wondering if the price is anywhere near accurate? I don't want to go to the dealer and have a nasty surprise of 500 extra pounds or something.

Obviously I don't care about it being 500 pounds cheaper :p

Also, the SE suspension seems to been removed from the Config when you go to suspension, the s line is the only option now? Is this just a blip because if I can no longer spec SE suspension there won't be a sale.

In my experience they are rather slow to update the configurator to the latest specs and even when they do there is the occasional typo or error. For example, Body Coloured Mirrors were an option on my S3 when I ordered it. I did ineed get them even though various people on the forum said they were not available. Two months later they just disappeared from the configurator.

As regards the price, you should probably be able negotiate an 8% + discount on the configurator price. If not then go via an on line broker such as Drive the Deal or go to another dealer.

Also, the SE suspension seems to been removed from the Config when you go to suspension, the s line is the only option now? Is this just a blip because if I can no longer spec SE suspension there won't be a sale.
Have you specified Mag Ride by any chance? You can only get Sports or S-Line suspension if you have.

The latest brochure that came out for the A3 in the last week or so (dated Aug 2014) still shows the suspension options for the Sport and S-Line models so this should still be available.

As for the price mine was also accurate on the Configurator - if you take the code that you get at the end of the configuration you should be able to give this to the dealer and they should then come up with the same spec at the same price.

I've specced an A3 1.4 COD s line on the Audi Configurator and got a price, but i'm wondering if the price is anywhere near accurate? I don't want to go to the dealer and have a nasty surprise of 500 extra pounds or something.

Obviously I don't care about it being 500 pounds cheaper :p

With regard to the suspension, the latest (August 2014) Price and Specification Guide (available on the Audi UK website) still has the same SE suspension options as the previous document, so I assume it's the Configurator that is wrong. Dealers have not been told of any changes to the suspension options.

I've purchased 3 new cars in the last 6 months and would certainly not be expecting to pay the price you see! As mentioned above, drive the deal and orange wheels will give you a good price to aim for! Get near that (which is achievable) and your onto a winner. Don't be afraid to shop between dealers and mention your looking between dealships. Once you've agreed on a price, then hit them again with your deal breakers such as free umbrellas, mugs, MMI cables, USB sticks etc.

I were a dealer and I heard someone describe a USB stick as a 'deal breaker' I think I'd conclude that they weren't serious about buying a car...

Okay so maybe not a deal "breaker" maybe a deal "sealer". I'm just speaking from experience of what I got out of my dealer. I find it hard to believe they would think your not serious when your about to put down the order deposit of the car.

thats true, my price was spot on, but after a bit of haggling the price went down about 6%, after a a few days it went down a bit more.

If your question is whether the Configurator price is accurate (ie same as the brochure) then my experience was that it was identical. But of course you can and should negotiate a discount (I got 10%).

The SE suspension is still available on an S-Line (ie you can de-select Sports Suspension). It's just a mistake on the Configurator. And I really recommend it, but perhaps let's not start that debate again which has been done to death.

Reactions: veeeight
But of course you can and should negotiate a discount (I got 10%).

Is that 10% off the base car and options, pre-VAT and pre-delivery, pre VED and pre registration fee?
Or 10% off the final OTR price?

(can make a difference of 2%) :p

:undwech:

Actually it was 10% off the car and options including VAT. Obviously no discount on Delivery Charges of £590 and First Registration Fee of £55. There is no VED for the 1.4TFSI in its first year so total discount OTR was 9.81%.

Reactions: veeeight
Dealers tend to work with the non-VAT price. If they give you a 10% discount it will be on the overall price of the car without VAT. But when they add the VAT at the end it will be 20% of the discounted price so you save on the amount of VAT you pay as well. That is at least one advantage of VAT over the old purchase tax which was always calculated on the RRP for the car.