Audi CD Changer with Aftermarket Head Unit

Quattro88

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I'm new here so Happy New Year to you all.

The question I have is about utilising the Audi 6CD Changer with an aftermarket head unit. Due to the loss of Absolute radio from AM (I know, iffy quality but the music suits my 'old git' tastes) I want to add DAB functionality. From what I've read and seen reported, the add on units seem to be pretty average at best so I'm thinking of getting a Pioneer DEH-S720 Single DIN car stereo with DAB, CD, Bluetooth, USB which would also allow me to stream from my phone and take calls too. Pretty much bring the car up to date audio wise other than touch screen which I don't see as a big thing (Only more to go wrong)

My question is this. Is there any way to retain the original Audi CD Changer and operate it through the new head unit?

Current setup:
Audi Concert II (Single CD) plus Audi 6 CD Changer, all work fine at the moment

Thanks

Just either use Spotify & stream over BT to new head unit or rip your CDs on pc or Mac to MP3 & put all the files on your phone & again stream over BT, no need to use changer tbh.

Just either use Spotify & stream over BT to new head unit or rip your CDs on pc or Mac to MP3 & put all the files on your phone & again stream over BT, no need to use changer tbh.
Thanks for your response and yes I know that I was just thinking better to cover all bases and it's there so why not keep using it if possible? Just hanging on to old habits I guess!

Of course with mp3 you are starting with lower source quality than a CD and it's one of the reasons I've kept my CD collection and resisted going all digital at home too. That and data costs as I do a lot of long distance in the car and I'm always playing music so having the CD changer is useful rather than burn up the small amount of mobile data I have on my phone package - I try to keep away from / minimise costs of subscriptions, don't even have pay TV. Change the CD's over once a week (Maybe less) and combined with radio there's always enough variety.

Fair play.

You can set your bitrate to copy at tbh, in windows media player it goes upto 320, default is 128 iirc.

Spotify has a free usage if streaming so that's an option, but as you say you have a low data package.

Check out Giffgaff or BT as they include a fair bit of data for very little cost tbh, 10-15gb is fair amount for music a month & it's only about £10 approximately.

I am a BT customer for fibre 900 & I pay £13 a month for 150GB on my cellphone which is very cheap tbh.

Thanks again, I only have 2GB n my phone plan so need to be sparing with its use.

I hear what you say about recording my CD's at a high bit rate. That would soon fill my phone up but I guess large memory USB sticks are very affordable now.

If anyone else has any bright ideas as to how to retain my CD changer, I'm all ears.

So, I've now received and fitted the Pioneer head unit. The main objective was to increase the sources that can be used, Bluetooth streaming, DAB (Although I've not fitted a DAB aerial yet) etc rather than start going down the rabbit hole of building a new 'system' however, there is certainly an improvement in sound too. I don't think I will miss the CD changer much once I get into it.

When setting it all up via the head unit adjustments I got thinking. I don't have the BOSE system but it would be physically easy to retrofit the BOSE sub (Complete with it's enclosure) from an A4 of the same era to replace the non BOSE sub currently in the RH boot wall. Can this be done using the current standard non BOSE amplifier from my existing unit? If not, can it be done using the rear BOSE sub amplifier without the rest of the BOSE system. When considering this I know the standard sub in my car is 4 Ohm but I don't know what the impedance of the BOSE sub is.

And finally, although an easy swap out, would it make any beneficial difference to the sound?