Audi CBBB Common rail TDI

a3rob

Reaction score
Greetings chaps.
I am looking to buy a 2010 A3 that has the 2.0 common rail tdi lump in it. The engine is the CBBB version and i've read many stories regarding the oil pump balance shaft failing.
Is there a way of finding out if this has the up rated shaft fitted if the current owner doesn't know? Nor is it within the service paperwork.
I know it's all been asked before but there are far too many horror stories to read and wade through.
Any advise is welcomed guys, thanks!

Was only the old PD BLB and BRE and some of the very early 2008 common rails which had the issue.

The 1K/8P chassis was never affected, it was only the longitudinal engines which were affected. You'll be fine.

Reactions: Paul @ Unit 9 Remaps
I must disagree @Darren92 mine is 2009 59 plate CBBB and it is affected.

As far as I know it's the 2010 and newer cars that it was sorted on using the longer 100mm long hex key. I just change the hex key every 50,000 which I've only had to do it once so far.

Alternatively you can call your Audi dealer, using the reg of the car you want to buy, 'pretend' to order the hex key and ask if it is the 77mm or the 100mm one.

@a3rob fyi the above...

Hi Sayam,
How easy is it to reaplce the Hex Key, and do you just replace it with the standard part (Hollow) or replace it with the 77mm solid one?